13 Fishing Concept Z

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
joekaz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

13 Fishing Concept Z

Post by joekaz » Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:39 pm

13 Fishing is going to introduce the Concept Z baitcaster with zero bearings at Icast according to their Facebook page.

pharmboy2010
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: 13 Fishing Concept Z

Post by pharmboy2010 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:13 pm

I don't have much knowledge on this type of thing. Anybody have any ideas on how it has no ball bearings? Is there a different mechanism out there they could be using?

mada1594
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by mada1594 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:14 pm

i think it runs on magic :shock:
gone fishin! borderline 11!

papabassin
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by papabassin » Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:27 pm

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:27 pm

Okay, I'm interested...
This is the way.

papabassin
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by papabassin » Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:32 pm

Definitely. So many unanswered questions, but I will be following...

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:12 pm

Spool must float on magnetic rail system, but round. Kind of like the rail road cars that hover over magnetic tracks, but just in a circle (spool shape). As far as the handle, main shaft, etc. I feel though probably need bearings and will suffer worse without, these are all guesses though, who knows. Very interesting and I am very excited for ICAST. The end of that video said the concept Z won't be here till Spring 2018 though.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:18 pm

The video says zero ball bearings. Maybe they use really small roller bearings instead. Or ceramic sleeves. Or magic. :lol: :shock:

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:21 pm

I have an old millionaire, new old stock, really, without bearings and its super smooth casting and retrieving both, but I made sure all the brass was well oiled. Not sure how long it would remain that way since its a shelf queen.
This is the way.

fishes
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by fishes » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:32 pm

mark poulson wrote:The video says zero ball bearings. Maybe they use really small roller bearings instead. Or ceramic sleeves. Or magic. :lol: :shock:
that was my thought. I saw them say "ball bearings" and thought they might just be being misleading and they are actually using roller bearings

steez_12
Angler
Angler

Post by steez_12 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:57 pm

If I had to guess I'd say plastic or brass bushings are present inside the reel instead of ball bearings. I am curious about how they set up the anti reverse without any bearings. Maybe the reel uses an anti reverse dog similar to the old ABU round reels.

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ScoobyDoo » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:09 pm

mark poulson wrote:The video says zero ball bearings. Maybe they use really small roller bearings instead. Or ceramic sleeves. Or magic. :lol: :shock:
That's funny you mention ceramic sleeves...I've been reaching out to companies trying to get some samples to do some experiments.

Swapping out all bearings to some newer types of bushings.
I was even trying to source 3 point ceramic ball supports to minimize contact area.

I don't believe bearings make that much of a difference as long as they roll true. And my goal was to prove or disprove my theory.

If they charge big $$$$$$$$ and only use bushings....and those bushings are just ceramic sleeves or cheap oil/bronze......I'm going to poop myself laughing at anyone who buys one.

But if they use some new tech i haven't dreamt of yet (i posted a thread on another site discussing how to use printed pole magnets in fishing reels so there isn't a box i can't think outside of :) ) I'll be impressed and definitely buy it.

But to me and I may be 100% wrong. But I look at 13 overall as overpriced okuma. WHo is limited in what they can offer by what lego parts they can get. If they do infact come out with something special. I'll take some siracha, and wasabi mayo with my crow :) They've grown significantly over the last couple years. So maybe they can really develop some unique products.

I'm scratching my head looking at the new shimano ocea jigger...which looks like they removed the "X ship pinion bearing al together....which has been a huge bit of marketing.....and replaced it with...ummm....no bearing...and now gave that a name :laugh1:

tim3716
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by tim3716 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:22 pm

I honestly think it is a marketing gimmick. From how far bearing have come there is no reason to switch to bushings at all. I'm sure it will sell though because a lot of people will be lured in with the whole zero bearing thing. Although I am crossing my fingers of the possibility that this reel may use new tech that will change fishing reels to come.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:32 pm

Maybe its a lower price point reel? Trades some smoothness for less maintenance or something? This is way unexpected for me.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:57 am

tim3716 wrote:I honestly think it is a marketing gimmick. From how far bearing have come there is no reason to switch to bushings at all. I'm sure it will sell though because a lot of people will be lured in with the whole zero bearing thing. Although I am crossing my fingers of the possibility that this reel may use new tech that will change fishing reels to come.
Brandon Coulter said it casts 20 percent further.

I too think it is more than bushings for their zero ball bearing. Probably magnets with N N or S S orentation in a bearing-like housing to freely spin. We will hopefully find out I CAST 2017. I think it will be a Classic release
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing