Meet the $100 BFS reel: The Haibo Smart

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
MaxZmus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Meet the $100 BFS reel: The Haibo Smart

Post by MaxZmus » Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:45 am

[quote="reznor"]diameter spool? has it a floating spool as haibo luna?TIA[/quote

I don't have a micrometer so I can't give a precise measurement on the diameter. As far as the floating design, it is not. It has a standard long shaft design like Shimanos.

reznor
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by reznor » Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:12 am

MaxZmus do you mean like old shimanos? Pinion rides on spool shaft and no double bearing support.(luna has same design as 15 ' aldebaran)

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:32 am

jonnimunki wrote:
LowRange wrote:
jonnimunki wrote:Is this not the same reel as the ardent apex?

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Ardent_A ... -APEC.html
Yes it's the same reel, Ardent reels are Haibos now. Don't expect the Ardents to cast light weight stuff like the Smart 50/51 though.

Awesome. So do you think I could get one of these and take out the centrifugal brake all together, i.e. just operate on the mag brake?
Yes, you could remove the centrifugal brake. I wouldn't do it because it's crucial in how the reel casts. Ever fished with a fixed inductor Daiwa or a magnetic only korean OEM like a black max? Yuck.
MaxZmus wrote:
jonnimunki wrote:
LowRange wrote:
jonnimunki wrote:Is this not the same reel as the ardent apex?

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Ardent_A ... -APEC.html
Yes it's the same reel, Ardent reels are Haibos now. Don't expect the Ardents to cast light weight stuff like the Smart 50/51 though.

Awesome. So do you think I could get one of these and take out the centrifugal brake all together, i.e. just operate on the mag brake?
Yes, the $25 DIY spool will fit any of the Ardent Apex series as they are all the same frame and side plates. Your Ardent Apex should have the dual centrifugal and magnetic braking system. I took all the brakes off of my spool and only left two on, then I use the magnetic dial for fine tuning. Remember to oil the brake race well to cut down on noise during casts.

For whatever reason the DIY Haibo 50 spool does not have an inductor, meaning that it does not support magnetic breaking and is centrifugal only. You're not going to do yourself any favors buying an Ardent badge Haibo and then getting a DIY Haibo spool for it. Just buy the Haibo Smart and be done with it.

MaxZmus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MaxZmus » Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:43 am

reznor wrote:MaxZmus do you mean like old shimanos? Pinion rides on spool shaft and no double bearing support.(luna has same design as 15 ' aldebaran)
Yes. The spool shaft goes all the way to the cast control, and through the bearing under the cast control cap. Low Range is right, just buy the Haibo Smart if you don't already have the Ardent Apex. You'll get more for your money. The Haibos come with two spools. Since the DIY shallow spool does not come with an inductor, you will want to leave the centrifugal brakes on the spool. The stock spools however do come with the inductor and centrifugal brakes.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:37 am

You could get a Haibo Steed and put the DIY spool in that. The Steed is centrifugal breaking only and the external dial moves the race track closer to the breaks to increase braking. Stock shallow Steed spool is a whopping 16 grams vs the Haibo DIY's 9.9. $60 for the reel + $25 for the DIY spool. The Smart is still better value IMO but the Steed with gold bits looks pretty.

Spool:
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Cup-modi ... 0e22017dd0

Reel:
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Haibo-ST ... ed46f28e05

Replacement brake rings for Smart/Steed:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/3-pieces ... 22875.html

Replacement brakes for Smart/Steed:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/HaiBo-Sm ... 00980.html
Attachments
steed.jpg
steed.jpg (42.86 KiB) Viewed 9952 times
diy.jpg
diy.jpg (82.78 KiB) Viewed 9952 times

reznor
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by reznor » Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:59 am

In taylor5877 old post said apex tournament has double bearing support on pinion.If haibo smart is the same reel... Anybody Post haibo Smart schematics please!

grantman83
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by grantman83 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:18 pm

Ha! And to think I wasted my money getting my apex's for half price lol..the carbon handle on the grand is nice though.

Loafer
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Loafer » Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:23 pm

By the way, Gear set for SMART51MCS: http://ali.pub/9s1m6

Loafer
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Loafer » Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:01 pm

Here is schematic of Smart/Steed. Sorry for quality, it taken from web, not scanned by myself.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sun Jun 26, 2016 2:19 pm

Loafer wrote:By the way, Gear set for SMART51MCS: http://ali.pub/9s1m6

Is this a replacement set or an upgrade? Does it improve smoothness? Wait, I thought the factory main gear was brass. Will this new gear set make the retrieve even worse?

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:50 pm

LowRange wrote:
Loafer wrote:By the way, Gear set for SMART51MCS: http://ali.pub/9s1m6

Is this a replacement set or an upgrade? Does it improve smoothness? Wait, I thought the factory main gear was brass. Will this new gear set make the retrieve even worse?
So many questions, so little time! Hahaha

Loafer
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Loafer » Sun Jun 26, 2016 11:30 pm

LowRange wrote:Is this a replacement set or an upgrade?
What it means?
If you have 6.3:1 Smart and you'll buy these parts for "more speed" - this is upgrade.
If you have reel with problem of gearing and you'll buy these parts for solve it - this is replacement.
LowRange wrote:Does it improve smoothness? Wait, I thought the factory main gear was brass. Will this new gear set make the retrieve even worse?
I think there is no users, who recieved it, so - waiting for.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:26 am

Here's a bit of an update: The reel casts very well however I have had difficulty finding a setting in the breaks that allow me to tie on an 1/8 ounce hardbait and throw it hard for max distance thumb free. With two centrifugal brakes on and a low spool tension the reel will cast 1/8 oz hardbait (Rebel Teeny Wee Pop R) a very good distance but is not thumb free. Some thumb mid cast to keep the RPM under control is needed. Increasing spool tension to gain a thumb free cast kills distance. Increasing the number of centrifugal brakes from 2 to 3 also kills distance by over governing the spool RPM. Low spool tension, 2 brakes on and high mag dial only adds control at the end of the cast and does nothing for the overruns. I have come to believe that the max distance 1/8 hardbait, thumb-free setting is only doable with 2 1/2 centrifugal brakes on. I believe what is needed is an ability to turn on/off the number of centrifugal brakes and then set the centrifugal brake race tension to your desired sweet spot.

Long story short, what is needed for 1/8 or under hardbaits max distance thumb free, is an externally adjustable centrifugal Haibo reel with a shallow spool such as a Haibo Steed or Haibo Smart 100 size plus with DIY spool. The Smart 100 and up and Steed are externally adjustable centrifugal with the Haibo Smart 50/51 being dual breaking.

Breaking profile conclusion: The dual breaking is great at baits 3/16 oz and up to 1/2 ounce and allows for some dock skipping but isn't that good at sub 3/16 ounce unless you're just roll casting. I you want to tie on 1/8 ounce and bomb it hard under low spool spool tension then the purely centrifugal breaking on the Haibo Smart 100 plus reels and Steed with DIY spool is what you're after.

A Haibo Steed 50, DIY carbon fiber 95mm handle with aluminum knob and a Haibo DIY spool will run you something like $125 or less. Not bad IMHO.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:26 am

Final update. I still use the reel and have found that I prefer the deeper of the the two shallow BFS spools the Smart 50 comes with. It' primarily a centrifugal braking reel with the magnetic braking being supplemental. Long story short I prefer to fish the reel more like a 'fast' spool reel like a finesse Shimano or Pixy than an UL BFS reel. I prefer linear mag braking or fixed inductor mag Daiwa braking for the UL work. It'll go toe to toe with my Pixy Aiy Red and Casitas MGL as 1/8 to 1/4 oz total weight with #20 braid. The reel may have a few problems but performance isn't one. I got it on a Cherry Wood HD 5'6'' M right now as kayak stick throwing 1/8 heads on 3-4 inch plastics. At $100 with as many problems it has and given the finesse options out there at similar prices I'd say, give the reel a pass. At one point in time it was a steal but I can buy a DIY long cast spool for Tatula CT and a Fuego CT for around the same price as the Smart and will have two spool as well and none of the problems. We're one sale away from $100 Casitas MGLs at some point if they're not already there now. Last catch with the reel. May be the very last catch with it.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:42 pm

I caught this with the Smart and Cherry Wood combo. Biggest of the season caught on my trash combo. I feel ashamed of myself. May have to honor the Smart with a better short rod and keep it around as a kayak rig.

Also there is a conversion kit (out of stock) to convert externally adjustable centrifugal variants on the Smart and all Steeds to linear mag braking. Not much of a performance improvement but at least you are done dealing with brake and brake rings falling off. Does not fit the dual brake on the Smart 50/51. You would need the externally adjustable race of the Steed and deeper spool Smart versions.

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/produc ... 70135.html