Chronarch D7

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Pegasus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Chronarch D7

Post by Pegasus » Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:21 am

godshippy wrote:It's the only reel that I fish with now :D

I've got mine spooled with 70# & 55# Daiwa Samurai Braid, 20# P-Line Halo, 15# Seaguar InvizX, 17# Sunline Defier, and 12# Yozuri Hybrid.

I like heavier line based on your experience the 20lb. halo I believe that is a fluorocarbon with a good diameter how much line can you get on it being that the spool is shallow.

stratos20
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by stratos20 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:59 am

man, why did shimano change the from chronarch D's? :crying: :crying:
Fish on!

progressive816
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by progressive816 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:22 pm

slipperybob wrote:If you open the side hatch cover, there's a peg that goes into a slot on the frame to align the hatch cover. There's a rubber O-ring on that peg that serves as a buffer. Well, if you palm grip your reel and put a little too much pressure on the side hatch cover, it will shift a little bit becuase the O-ring gives. I don't palm grip my reel that way, so I didn't know about it until when TT did the review on the Chronarch D reel.
My hand covers a good portion of the sideplate. That slight movement from the rubber o-ring gives a funny feeling and a sense of insecurity that the reel seat lockdown is coming loose, but it is not.

Aside from that quirk, the Chronarch casts very well and far. Under load, there is a lot of power and smoothness. I regret selling it, but had to raise cash to buy another Zillion.
Loved the pearl white. Went well with my Kistler Argon 7'2" MH Worm Rod.
Pb-LMB 6lb7oz

progressive816
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by progressive816 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:26 pm

stratos20 wrote:man, why did shimano change the from chronarch D's? :crying: :crying:
Just a wild guess, but probably cannibalization of the Core or rising manufacturing cost.

The new Chronarch at $199 is the dumbest move I've seen from Shimano. If they're going to pull a fast one, at least give it a metal drag star.
Pb-LMB 6lb7oz

db220
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by db220 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:30 pm

The latest Chronarch is why I just added a Daiwa T3 Ballistic to my gear instead of another Chronarch. I'm keeping my D7's, but I won't see another Chronarch until they make a new one that I like. It's a shame. I'm a die hard Shimano fan.

phatbass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by phatbass » Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:13 pm

I feel the same way about the new chronarchs,but I would'nt buy a plastic reel ( t3) at any price these reels this year are a joke from all sides. I will stick with the d7s .

spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spookybaits » Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:48 pm

Just a wild guess but I'm guessing shimano heard the (probably unexpected) outrage from chronarch fans and will go back to the way things were. Atleast I hope so :D
Just got a d7 myself for light cranks, my first shimano baitcaster. I'm really liking it so far.

db220
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by db220 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:47 pm

phatbass wrote:I feel the same way about the new chronarchs,but I would'nt buy a plastic reel ( t3) at any price these reels this year are a joke from all sides. I will stick with the d7s .
I remember when people said they wouldn't buy a plastic gun either, but now they issue Glocks to a lot of police departments :lol:

jbassc
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jbassc » Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:11 am

Ive owned this reel since it came out and its still as smooth as the first day i used it i really love it,i usually fish 10 to 12 pound test on it depending on the situation.