Shimano Chronarch D vs. Abu Garcia REVO Premier

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Shimano Chronarch D vs. Abu Garcia REVO Premier

Post by Johnny A » Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:41 am

Speckled wrote:
Johnny A wrote:I'm starting to think the Revos are starting to cut into Shimano's market share and by extension cutting into the lucrative Shimano reel repair business. Stop and think about how many of the repair places specialize in Shimano tackle. I'm a bit hesitant to believe it's all end of season maintenance work.
:-k

Coming from someone who was ALL DAIWA, don't you meen that ABU is cutting into Daiwa's market share?

:doh: [-X :big grin:
I wasn't all Daiwa, Speck ... I was Daiwa and Abu. I guess you could say Abu is cutting into Daiwa as well though.

Speckled
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Speckled » Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:52 am

Johnny A wrote:
Speckled wrote:
Johnny A wrote:I'm starting to think the Revos are starting to cut into Shimano's market share and by extension cutting into the lucrative Shimano reel repair business. Stop and think about how many of the repair places specialize in Shimano tackle. I'm a bit hesitant to believe it's all end of season maintenance work.

Coming from someone who was ALL DAIWA, don't you meen that ABU is cutting into Daiwa's market share?

I wasn't all Daiwa, Speck ... I was Daiwa and Abu. I guess you could say Abu is cutting into Daiwa as well though.
=D>

It's all good ;) , I have to give you a hardtime when you grind your Shimano ax :P :lol: .

ecu daniel 14
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by ecu daniel 14 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:17 am

stress-what happens between fishing trips

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:17 am

Speckled wrote:
Johnny A wrote:
Speckled wrote:

=D>

It's all good ;) , I have to give you a hardtime when you grind your Shimano ax :P :lol: .
And truth be told, 2 Shimanos are in my Top 5 reels count down ... Antares DC and Calcutta Conquest 100 ...

Peacheater81
Angler
Angler

Post by Peacheater81 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:22 am

I got both and love the Chronarch for lighter stuff....the premier is sick to, but I like it better for heavier things.

robertj298
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by robertj298 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:36 pm

I have to laugh at all the revo premier fans. You are talking about reels that are 1 or 2 years old and how great they are. Post here in 6 or seven years and tell how great they are. I have both chronarchs and curados older than that that are still going strong

jeb
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jeb » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:51 am

Bodycamp13 wrote:I dont care for the EVA knobs on the Premier. How do those knobs hold up?
Fair, I'd say. Of the 4 I have, only the oldest one shows wear on the EVA knobs. I assume they must have tangled with a hook somewhere along the line. No big chunks missing or anything, and still very comfortable/useable, but a couple of knicks.

jeb
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jeb » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:57 am

robertj298 wrote:I have to laugh at all the revo premier fans. You are talking about reels that are 1 or 2 years old and how great they are. Post here in 6 or seven years and tell how great they are. I have both chronarchs and curados older than that that are still going strong
Not sure why it makes you laugh, but you're right. Nobody knows the long term reliability of them at this point. My oldest one is 1.5+ years old now and has suffered zero performance issues. Just had it apart this week, along with all my other reels, for cleaning, lubing and inspection. Everything is perfect and it's still a great reel. It has a LOT of miles on it, too, as I fish 3-4 days a week pretty much every week since I bought it. You don't seem to read about any break down issues on the older generation Premiers, either. Not as good a reel, I understand, but not unreliable, either.

It is showing boat rash, though. No doubt they could use a better finish, like their Pflueger brothers have. Interestingly though, my 3 newer Premiers show almost no boat rash at all. So not sure if Abu did something to harden the coating on newer ones? Again, only time will tell.