Shimano Chronarch D vs. Abu Garcia REVO Premier

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
ecu daniel 14
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Shimano Chronarch D vs. Abu Garcia REVO Premier

Post by ecu daniel 14 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:29 am

Ive heard that the Chronarch has backplay on several occasions...I was reading reviews on a few websites last night and at least one person said that per website...hmmmmm
stress-what happens between fishing trips

westcoastbassin
Angler
Angler

Post by westcoastbassin » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:10 am

I'm all for the Premier.......just feels better.

Darkninja11
Angler
Angler

Post by Darkninja11 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:17 am

I would go with the Chronarch. IMO, i believe shimano reels are built with more quality items. i dont have either chronarch or premier but i have a curado e and 2010 revo skeet(premier without price tag). bought around same time. Fished just as much as each other. Fish size, couple of 2-3 lbers on both reels. The shimano still feels like out of the box buttery smooth. The revo, crackling noise(during line retrieve only) sent that in the get bearings replaced, quiet for two weeks, back to same noise. This was over 6-7 months of straight fishing.

Speckled
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Speckled » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:37 am

Chronarch D7 (or D5 if your cranking) ;) . Smooth reel and long casting and it's a Shimano 8-) .

ABU has been Shimano's b*tch for over 30 years :shock: . Even Daiwa too :lol: . That's for all the ABU FOR LIFE'ers =D> .

What more do you need to know?

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:07 am

Speckled wrote:Chronarch D7 (or D5 if your cranking) ;) . Smooth reel and long casting and it's a Shimano 8-) .

ABU has been Shimano's b*tch for over 30 years :shock: . Even Daiwa too :lol: . That's for all the ABU FOR LIFE'ers =D> .

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: =)))) =)))) =)))) =)))) =))))

Speckled
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Speckled » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:20 am

There is a ABU FOR LIFE'er right there :lol: 8-) ;) .

Thanks Johnny =D> .

Speckled
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Speckled » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:25 am

Johnny A wrote:
Speckled wrote:Chronarch D7 (or D5 if your cranking) ;) . Smooth reel and long casting and it's a Shimano 8-) .

Johnny,

Can I take from your post that you don't think that ABU has been Shimano's b*tch for the last 30 years? Even Daiwa also?

So, you rank ABU, then Daiwa and then Shimano correct? :laugh1: .

phatbass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by phatbass » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:52 am

I have a d7 and a 2010 premier ,the d7 is a smooth and solid and in my opinion the best chronarch built so far . I just bought the new premier and I have to say I'am impressed so far ,like the handle, dual braking that offers more options
in different situations,seems to cast and retrieve smooth from casting in the backyard .time on the water will really be the deciding factor.

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:53 am

Speckled wrote:
Johnny A wrote:

Johnny,

Can I take from your post that you don't think that ABU has been Shimano's b*tch for the last 30 years? Even Daiwa also?

So, you rank ABU, then Daiwa and then Shimano correct? :laugh1: .
Let me put it this way, my good friend, I think Shimano is resting on it's laurels, Daiwa is keeping their best in Japan and the Revo line, the Premier and STX in particular, is kicking serious ass.
I have liked two Shimanos, the Antares DC and the Calcutta Conquest but not enough to move my arsenal to those reels. After many years of Daiwa TD Xs and TD Zs, I tried the Revos and found them to be close enough in performance to Daiwas switch over.
I did pick up a JDM Zillion a few weeks ago and it's a nice reel and it had me thinking about going back to the TD Z line. Brackish water prevents the TD Z H or M choice and I like the Revo Premier better than the Zillion. I'm keeping the Zillion for the Megabass.

phatbass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by phatbass » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:55 am

ecu daniel 14 wrote:Ive heard that the Chronarch has backplay on several occasions...I was reading reviews on a few websites last night and at least one person said that per website...hmmmmm
check one out for yourself and decide.

godshippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by godshippy » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:25 pm

I fish with Chronarch D reels exclusively now. My 50th Zillions sit in the closet somewhere...or perhaps they're in a Tupperware box on my shelf somewhere...

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DavidSA » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:37 pm

I think both are quite nice depending on what you seek. The premier has a better profile to me, is lighter, has more line capacity and is a 6 to 1 flavor.

The D7 has faster line pickup, less line capacity and I think for a buzzbait in wind the Shimano cast control is better.

The knobs on the premier have grown on me but to be fair, the D7 knobs are just plain boring. The D7 would be much better with E7 knobs.

Picking just one would be tough. I split the difference in that I bought Premiers for multi-purpose work and use tuned E7's for buzzbaits and frogs. I'm thinking of adding a D5 as a crankbait reel but just have to decide what I give up.

By the way, I tested a tuned D7, E7 and stock premier in my backyard on same rod same line in a casting contest and found the D7 and Premier a dead heat, both were longer then an E7 Tuned. All excellent. If you want max distance casting a Premier leave the internal brakes completely off and external about 50% set (basically make it into a 2008 Premier). If you want to pitch, turn the external completely off and use 2 internal pins. Best of both worlds. I use both internal and external when throwing a buzzbait or chatterbait in wind; this does ruin distance so the E7 is always handy.

Craiger12
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Craiger12 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:08 pm

godshippy wrote:I fish with Chronarch D reels exclusively now. My 50th Zillions sit in the closet somewhere...or perhaps they're in a Tupperware box on my shelf somewhere...
Any of those 50th Zillions left handers?

Cisco
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Cisco » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:25 am

D.R. wrote:
Cisco wrote:I prefer the Revo over the Chronarch D, due to it's lack of back play. However, I hate the foam knobs.
Put a Daiwa Zillion handle on it. You will not be sorry you did.

D.R.
Is there any way to keep the handle? ie just remove the knobs?

Cisco
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Cisco » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:41 am

With the level of quality reels coming out at low price points, any Shimano reel "lower" than a core/metanium is not really worth it IMO. The middle tier price point has become serious competition and Shimano is losing ground. Now the top tier stuff, ie Calais +/- DC, Calcutta +/- DC, Core, Metanium, etc can still hold their own. However, I still feel the need to slap Calais DC knobs on all of them.

Also with the online auction costs on the Premiere being so low it really makes it a no contest. I picked my brand new Revo 2011 7.1:1 for $185 bucks on the bay. IMO there is no sub $200 dollar Shimano reel that can compare with this reel. The nearest Shimano reel that can compare with the precision feel of the Revo is the Calais or Core, but even there the Calais is heavier and the Core is lighter. I really feel the Revo is a nice compromise between the Calais and Core and at under $200 a steal of a deal.

I'm not some Abu honk either, in fact the 7.1:1 Revo is the only Abu I own. But after this past trip I'm a believer.
Last edited by Cisco on Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.