Shimano Chronarch D vs. Abu Garcia REVO Premier

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Shimano Chronarch D vs. Abu Garcia REVO Premier

Post by Johnny A » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:22 pm

taylor5877 wrote:
I think the Revo would still have a cult following instead of the more equal (sorry, but it's true, especially on more "everyman" forums like the texasfishingforum) following to Shimano and Daiwa reels.

I'm surprised you think that way about the texas forum. One of the guy that posts there is also a sponsor at BFHP. He's like a one man bad mouth Revo company. It's one thing to push a favored company but he's really not a good ambassador for Shimano. If he's going to talk poorly about Abu he should at least know the reels are made in Sweden and not in Switzerland!

taylor5877
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by taylor5877 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:20 pm

well, yeah, there are actually a couple of cranky old codgers that like to talk about "pure fishing junk" in the rod and reel section. However, a recent poll of Revo vs. Curado in the bass fishing section was amazingly even.

There was another guy there who likes to badmouth Abu/Pure fishing "junk" that tried to tell me my recently purchased Morrum wasn't made in Sweden...that thread is kinda funny.

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:31 pm

I'm starting to think the Revos are starting to cut into Shimano's market share and by extension cutting into the lucrative Shimano reel repair business. Stop and think about how many of the repair places specialize in Shimano tackle. I'm a bit hesitant to believe it's all end of season maintenance work.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:05 pm

I left the BFHP because it is obvious that Shimano owns them...plus I was accused by one of the "primary" (female owner BTW, hint, hint) Shimano Specialty Repair shops at that time (right before I came to TT), of sending threatening and tasteless PM/IMs. What a joke... :roll:

Granted that some of today's Abu offerings have a less than "pedigreed" origin, Sweden & Mörrum should never be mistaken or lost in the annals of Abu Garcia history. Hell, do they even realize the importance of the Mörrum River?
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

progressive816
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by progressive816 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:36 pm

jeb wrote:
taylor5877 wrote:This thread makes me ask one question, has there ever been a more solid reel made than the Citica and Curado D's that have resulted in utter disaster? If that series wasn't such a dud, the Revo might have been another failed low profile experiment for Abu. But they were able to grab a foothold and get a loyal following (me included).

If the E series comes out (and doesn't have sucha a limited gear ratio choice, especially for us lefties) at the same time as the Revo we wouldn't be having this conservation...
I may not be reading this right, but if you're implying the only reason the 2010 Premier is so popular right now is from mistakes Shimano has made, I'd have to disagree. I think they'd still be doing well on their own merits. It's the best value in the fishing reel world right now, IMO. Especially at the online prices.
I would like to add that back when the Revo's released, I was very critical of their magnetic braking system. I honestly had very difficult time with it to the point where my focus was on backlash control and not lure presentation.

I personally think the new Premier is popular because 1. Braking system more versatile. 2. Weight reduction without sacrificing metal. 3. Competitive price point. 4. The cool swept handle :D.
They listened and got it right.

As far as the profile and comfort, the Revo's (not one model in specific) sit very low, are easy to palm, and you can comfortably wrap my index finger in front (my personal preference) of the reel.

The Revo Premier does have my interest. That new blue Toro winch might make a good Missouri River catfishin reel too.
Pb-LMB 6lb7oz

phatbass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by phatbass » Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:33 pm

I have to agree they finally got it right with the new premier,the other revo's where nothing special, but I don't think shimano has anything to worry about.

Bronzeye
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bronzeye » Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:16 am

progressive816 wrote: you can comfortably wrap my index finger in front (my personal preference) of the reel.
Neat accessory! PM sent.

brokeneye
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by brokeneye » Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:27 am

i miss the old bfhp...it was a hot ticket a decade or so ago...last time i checked, i swear there were only 6 people posting there...under 12 different "handles".

so much for "mindset", huh?
don't cry because it's over...smile because it happened.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:08 pm

brokeneye wrote:i miss the old bfhp...it was a hot ticket a decade or so ago...last time i checked, i swear there were only 6 people posting there...under 12 different "handles".

so much for "mindset", huh?
Indeed...sandman, duke, pumajeff, dorge, yourself...and several others made it very fun and engaging in the beginning. Too bad for the ineptitude.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

Smalleyez
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Smalleyez » Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:23 pm

I also liked that place. Bought my first Scorpion back in those days and I still have a couple Cabelas Platinum spinning reels (Ryobis) that Dorge highly recommended.
RRR (Round Reels Rule!)

phatbass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by phatbass » Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:08 pm

there were to many pop ups,on that site ,but if it was'nt for that board I would have never found this one.

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:11 am

phatbass wrote:there were to many pop ups,on that site ,but if it was'nt for that board I would have never found this one.
Nor I. GamblerHydra recommended this place. I came to check it out and found home.

Speckled
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Speckled » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:52 am

Johnny A wrote:
phatbass wrote:there were to many pop ups,on that site ,but if it was'nt for that board I would have never found this one.
Nor I. GamblerHydra recommended this place. I came to check it out and found home.
I only "lurked" on that site. Never was a member. I don't think I would of found TT without BFHP =D> .

Lots of good guys on that site (sandman, forgot about him :doh:).

Some of them are still on here (dragon1, pumajeff aka ohiochamp??, Johnny A ;) and others).

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:37 am

Agreed gents...BFHP did serve as the gateway to the Dark Lord's lair...glad I at least walked the path a while. Also, glad to see some of the quality folks that came over to TT and are still here...it is what makes it all worthwhile for me.

Speckled
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Speckled » Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:34 am

Johnny A wrote:I'm starting to think the Revos are starting to cut into Shimano's market share and by extension cutting into the lucrative Shimano reel repair business. Stop and think about how many of the repair places specialize in Shimano tackle. I'm a bit hesitant to believe it's all end of season maintenance work.
:-k

Coming from someone who was ALL DAIWA, don't you meen that ABU is cutting into Daiwa's market share?

:doh: [-X :big grin: