Upset Shimano fan!!!

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
gundog
Angler
Angler

Upset Shimano fan!!!

Post by gundog » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:22 pm

Im a big Shimano guy but ... The Curado E 7 in 5:1 ratio in LEFT HAND isn't made yet and I spoke to a rep and it doesn't look good for this year. Im a righty but reel with my left on all rods and I can't switch! Im not paying for a core for cranking and my old curado's are getting old WHAT DO I BUY? ](*,)

spencerinstl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Upset Shimano fan!!!

Post by spencerinstl » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:24 am

Shimano has no love for the lefties apparently. Here is a link that might help. http://www.3riversflyandtackle.com/cata ... 307405.htm
Thanks for the epiphany captain obvious

Nitroman77
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Nitroman77 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:07 am

go with the daiwa crazy cranker...thats a BEAST of a cranking reel..
THkustoms.com
Dobyns rods
Omega custom tackle
Biospawn
seaguar
phoenix boats

Truite
Angler
Angler

Post by Truite » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:12 am

I have been very upset too with no 5.0 left handed reels from shimano.
Truite

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Tokugawa » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:52 am

Nitroman77 wrote:go with the daiwa crazy cranker...thats a BEAST of a cranking reel..
x2!!
Truite wrote:I have been very upset too with no 5.0 left handed reels from shimano.
gundog wrote:Im a big Shimano guy but ... The Curado E 7 in 5:1 ratio in LEFT HAND isn't made yet and I spoke to a rep and it doesn't look good for this year. Im a righty but reel with my left on all rods and I can't switch! Im not paying for a core for cranking and my old curado's are getting old WHAT DO I BUY? ](*,)
Bantam1 has said that Shimano will not deliver a lefty 5.0 Curado E. It will never happen...not a "big enough" market.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:32 am

gundog wrote:The Curado E 7 in 5:1 ratio in LEFT HAND isn't made yet ...
If Shimano did make a lefty Curado in a 5:1 gear ratio, it'd be an E5 not an E7 ;)
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

Casca
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Casca » Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:46 am

Hey Shimano how about a Chronarch 101D5. I'd be all over that.
regards,
Casca

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:13 am

Casca wrote:Hey Shimano how about a Chronarch 101D5. I'd be all over that.
regards,
Casca
only if i didn't buy out their stock first ;)
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

taylor5877
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by taylor5877 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:52 am

How bout a curado E6/Chronarch D6?

I'm still Image about that one...

Mr SwimJig
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Mr SwimJig » Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:02 am

I don't know why Shimano doesn't make one, they say that the demand isn't great enough. But every time you turn around there is a thread about why doesn't Shimano make a lefty Curado or Chronarch.

For your options you have a few choices, but I would go with Abu Garcia Revo Winch.

SJ

78Staff
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 78Staff » Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:27 am

Basically why I don't consider Shimano anymore when buying reels, they basically abandoned the LH market. Daiwa Crazy Cranker is awesome - I used to be all Zillions and Sol's but have changed to lower cost gear as of late. If you don't want to spend $300 you can also look at the Exceler, BPS Pro Qualifer and Citori, all offer crankin ratio's for us LH'rs... I am using the Citori 5.4:1 @ 22 ipt and am impressed for the money, and may still pick up a PQ 4.7:1@19 ipt for for my Deepest Cranking rod...

PESCATORE
Angler
Angler

Post by PESCATORE » Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:32 am

I feel your pain. I search the internet for the Curado 201dpv's because they have a 5.0:1 ratio. One of the best 5:1 type reels evermade, if not one of the best reels period! I love my Curado 201E7, but to say there isn't a market place is almost like they are tryin' to pshyc us out for something special to come. Keeping it secret and all that. Shimano knows exactly how much of a demand it is; Especially with the increase of interest in low speed reels for crankin' in just the last 3 years. My money is on a 2011 ICAST debut of at least one lefty low speed reel. Keeping my fingers crossed!

smallysrule
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by smallysrule » Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:43 am

PESCATORE wrote:I feel your pain. I search the internet for the Curado 201dpv's because they have a 5.0:1 ratio. One of the best 5:1 type reels evermade, if not one of the best reels period! I love my Curado 201E7, but to say there isn't a market place is almost like they are tryin' to pshyc us out for something special to come. Keeping it secret and all that. Shimano knows exactly how much of a demand it is; Especially with the increase of interest in low speed reels for crankin' in just the last 3 years. My money is on a 2011 ICAST debut of at least one lefty low speed reel. Keeping my fingers crossed!

I found a couple on ebay not too long ago, but sadly they got too high for my liking. I have a bantam curado with a lower gear ratio that would benefit from a good cleaning, tuning and bearing upgrade. I'll see if I cant get a picture or 2 of it up this weekend.

vuehouaxiong
Angler
Angler

Post by vuehouaxiong » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:55 am

yeah,revo winch sounds good.more lb for lb on drag too.

mhood
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mhood » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:14 am

smallysrule wrote:
PESCATORE wrote:I feel your pain. I search the internet for the Curado 201dpv's because they have a 5.0:1 ratio. One of the best 5:1 type reels evermade, if not one of the best reels period! I love my Curado 201E7, but to say there isn't a market place is almost like they are tryin' to pshyc us out for something special to come. Keeping it secret and all that. Shimano knows exactly how much of a demand it is; Especially with the increase of interest in low speed reels for crankin' in just the last 3 years. My money is on a 2011 ICAST debut of at least one lefty low speed reel. Keeping my fingers crossed!

I found a couple on ebay not too long ago, but sadly they got too high for my liking. I have a bantam curado with a lower gear ratio that would benefit from a good cleaning, tuning and bearing upgrade. I'll see if I cant get a picture or 2 of it up this weekend.
If you're posting it for sale please do it in the right forum. ;)
ORANGE Reels Rule!!!
- Lord Wisecracker