Is it Daiwa, Shimano, or someone else?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.

Which reel manufacturer is your favorite?

Daiwa
44%
Shimano
46%
Abu Garcia
3%
Quantum
1%
Pfleuger
0%
Ardent
No votes
Lew's
3%
Okuma
0%
Pinnacle
0%
Wright & McGill
No votes
US Reels
No votes
13 Fishing
3%

Total votes: 714

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Is it Daiwa, Shimano, or someone else?

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon May 06, 2013 2:33 pm

trent_s wrote:Shimano six days a week and twice on sunday. I ventured into three high end Daiwa reels this year, was dissapointed. Sold two and will be selling the JDM Zillion soon.
Why did you feel disappointed with the D's?

trent_s
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by trent_s » Mon May 06, 2013 3:38 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
trent_s wrote:Shimano six days a week and twice on sunday. I ventured into three high end Daiwa reels this year, was dissapointed. Sold two and will be selling the JDM Zillion soon.
Why did you feel disappointed with the D's?

So many reasons...they just weren't for me. Too fussy, didn't cast light baits as well, too much adjusting brakes after changing baits or going from flipping to overhand casting or sidearm, etc...was just dissapointed all around. They did reel smoothly though.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Wed May 08, 2013 4:29 am

Never ceases to crack me up...preference (and inability to adapt to a different product) is a fickle mistress indeed. :lol:

Equates to "disappointed all around" for many, eh? :P

For me, my Curado 200D (with Chronarch B handle upgrade) and Antares AR both had to stay home this spring vs my Daiwas as the hidden screws in their handles kept coming loose after a couple hours of power cranking (needs some locktite), and also since both reels were more finicky casting braid into the wind vs the mag on both my I'ZE and Zs.

For frogging though, the 200D will be a very dependable, consistent and reliable performer...the Antares AR will come out to play again when I start power techs on topwaters.

I enjoy both and cast the snot out of light to heavy lures with both...never been "disappointed all around" after use of many products from either. :big grin: Obviously YMMV.

trent_s
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by trent_s » Wed May 08, 2013 9:16 am

dragon1 wrote:Never ceases to crack me up...preference (and inability to adapt to a different product) is a fickle mistress indeed. :lol:

Equates to "disappointed all around" for many, eh? :P

For me, my Curado 200D (with Chronarch B handle upgrade) and Antares AR both had to stay home this spring vs my Daiwas as the hidden screws in their handles kept coming loose after a couple hours of power cranking (needs some locktite), and also since both reels were more finicky casting braid into the wind vs the mag on both my I'ZE and Zs.

For frogging though, the 200D will be a very dependable, consistent and reliable performer...the Antares AR will come out to play again when I start power techs on topwaters.

I enjoy both and cast the snot out of light to heavy lures with both...never been "disappointed all around" after use of many products from either. :big grin: Obviously YMMV.

Chill Dragon...as I said "just wasn't for me". That doesn't mean Daiwa's don't suit you or anyone else perfectly. It's just an opinion and a style of fishing. Like I've said many times highly refined, excellent casters, just don't suit my style. We agree on most everything, but not this. To each his own. FWIW I would take a Daiwa over any other company than Shimano, and they're certainly high quality products, they just don't suit my casting style.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Wed May 08, 2013 9:40 am

Chill Trent...it was a wry joke.

Sorry, been having some TT withdrawals so maybe I was missing some tact on my reply, eh?

FWIW, from a pure casting standpoint, I prefer most Shimanos. For pitching and plastics, function of tightness/feel standpoint Daiwa.

What I have noticed is that most of the newer products from both are starting to feel very similar overall...IMO.

soulfisher
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by soulfisher » Thu May 23, 2013 4:26 am

Daiwa all the way

RangerFred
Angler
Angler

Post by RangerFred » Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:22 am

90 percent shimano and the rest a mix of diawa and Abu. My Calais are my favorite albeit a tad heavy, second closely by my Chronarch d7s super smooth reels

lpquick
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by lpquick » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:29 am

Diversity is the key, experience has taught me in life not to put all my eggs in one basket. Shimano, Diawa and Megabass all have their strength & weaknesses. When building a rod you like to take the best components to create a masterpiece. Why limit yourselves to just one brand. Change is the spice of life, enjoy the challenge, life too short….

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:30 am

I fish Shimano for the most part (Curado E,Core 101,Metanium XG)as they have been the most reliable for me as far as both casting ability(no backlashes-set 1 brake and forget it) and durability. Also fish Abu,have a couple premiers for cranking but thats all I use them for, and Ive owned a few Daiwas (Zillion,Steez),but I dont get along with magnetic brakes.

vArm
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by vArm » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:39 am

vArm wrote:I love Daiwa and Shimano equaly but if I have to pick....Shimano for now, based on there dedication to a veriaty of sizes and speeds in Most of their lineup of reels.
However that Zillion Type R has me second guessing myself.
Forgot all about this topic!

I switched to Daiwa since then…for now…

basskeeter1
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by basskeeter1 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:16 am

I like both Daiwa and Shimano but, it seems to me that you have to spend $400 or more for a decent Daiwa versus $200 for a shimano reel. Just my thought and experience.

Afrayedknot
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Afrayedknot » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:50 am

Daiwa is way too pricey!

I am surprised lew's didn't get more votes. I like lew's tournament pro a lot, but the braking system is kinda finicky sometimes.

I love shimano's vbs and I can't wait to use the new chronarch ci4+

buster 2900
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by buster 2900 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:00 pm

Well, I spent $369 on the Shimano Calcutta D, and it has major access issues. You have to remove three slotted screws and pry the reel apart (it has loose gears) to access the brake pins or perform routine maintenance. Since I fish in inshore saltwater, the reel proved way too much of a hassle to maintain and quite a letdown after using other Calcutta reels without a problem for many years. So I replaced it with a Daiwa Zillion Coastal. Terrific reel.
Last edited by buster 2900 on Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:53 am, edited 3 times in total.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:01 pm

buster 2900 wrote:Well, I spent $369 on the Shimano Calcutta D, and it has major access issues. You have to remove three slotted screws and pry the reel apart (it has loose gears) to access the brake pins or perform routine maintenance. Since I fish in inshore saltwater, the reel proved way too much of a hassle to maintain and quite a letdown after using others Calcutta reels without a problem for many years. The reel is worthless. So I replaced the pile of junk with a Daiwa Zillion Coastal. Terrific reel, and I'll never look back. Fool me once Shimano.....but it won't happen twice. Bye-bye.
Hmm. I wouldn't square Shimano away based off 1 reel. Shimano makes some great stuff

Lexy 123
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Lexy 123 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:52 pm

I have been a hardcore Shimano fanboy for the last 10+ years and still counting.
There are few disappointed models but overall Shimano is still my favorite.