Is it Daiwa, Shimano, or someone else?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.

Which reel manufacturer is your favorite?

Daiwa
44%
Shimano
46%
Abu Garcia
3%
Quantum
1%
Pfleuger
0%
Ardent
No votes
Lew's
3%
Okuma
0%
Pinnacle
0%
Wright & McGill
No votes
US Reels
No votes
13 Fishing
3%

Total votes: 714

Lexy 123
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Is it Daiwa, Shimano, or someone else?

Post by Lexy 123 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:55 pm

buster 2900 wrote:Well, I spent $369 on the Shimano Calcutta D, and it has major access issues. You have to remove three slotted screws and pry the reel apart (it has loose gears) to access the brake pins or perform routine maintenance. Since I fish in inshore saltwater, the reel proved way too much of a hassle to maintain and quite a letdown after using others Calcutta reels without a problem for many years. The reel is worthless. So I replaced the pile of junk with a Daiwa Zillion Coastal. Terrific reel, and I'll never look back. Fool me once Shimano.....but it won't happen twice. Bye-bye.
I somewhat agree with U on the issues of Calcutta D (not a big fan of this model) but calling Shimano is junk is totally UNFAIR statement.
Even I'm a hardcore fan of Shimano reels but I would never call other companies like Daiwa junk ...
Each company has their plus and minus but overall Shimano is still on the top of the list (the result of the votes speaks for itself).

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:57 pm

The Calcutta conquest is my favourite shimano and I will never sell mine. Hard to find a smoother round reel with the performance.

buster 2900
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by buster 2900 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:17 am

Lexy 123 wrote:
buster 2900 wrote:Well, I spent $369 on the Shimano Calcutta D, and it has major access issues. You have to remove three slotted screws and pry the reel apart (it has loose gears) to access the brake pins or perform routine maintenance. Since I fish in inshore saltwater, the reel proved way too much of a hassle to maintain and quite a letdown after using others Calcutta reels without a problem for many years. The reel is worthless. So I replaced the pile of junk with a Daiwa Zillion Coastal. Terrific reel, and I'll never look back. Fool me once Shimano.....but it won't happen twice. Bye-bye.
I somewhat agree with U on the issues of Calcutta D (not a big fan of this model) but calling Shimano is junk is totally UNFAIR statement.
Even I'm a hardcore fan of Shimano reels but I would never call other companies like Daiwa junk ...
Each company has their plus and minus but overall Shimano is still on the top of the list (the result of the votes speaks for itself).
Lexy 123--Since you copied my comment I assume you read it. Where does it say I called Shimano junk? I clearly was expressing my opinion of only one particular reel. What I actually did say was that I had used other "Calcutta reels without a problem for many years." For what it's worth, I've also been a hardcore Shimano fan and own nine Shimano reels. And I guess I had the right to express my opinion about a particular reel.

So tell me again who is being unfair in their comment?

p.s. Out of respect for other Shimano fans who might mistakenly come to same conclusion you did, I have since edited my original comment. It was not meant to offend anyone and was only an expression of my own particular frustration at that time.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:20 am

buster 2900 wrote:
Lexy 123 wrote:
Lexy 123--Since you copied my comment I assume you read it. Where does it say I called Shimano junk? I clearly was expressing my opinion of only one particular reel. What I actually did say was that I had used other "Calcutta reels without a problem for many years." For what it's worth, I've also been a hardcore Shimano fan and own nine Shimano reels. And I guess I had the right to express my opinion about a particular reel.

p.s. Out of respect for other Shimano fans who might mistakenly come to same conclusion you did, I have since edited my original comment. It was not meant to offend anyone and was only an expression of my own particular frustration at that time.
It's all good. I don't think anyone else took your comment regarding one reel as a knock on Shimano all around. I didn't see where you referred to Shimano as junk either.

Lexy 123
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Lexy 123 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:27 am

Hogsticker2 wrote:
buster 2900 wrote:
Lexy 123 wrote:
buster 2900 wrote:Well, I spent $369 on the Shimano Calcutta D, and it has major access issues. You have to remove three slotted screws and pry the reel apart (it has loose gears) to access the brake pins or perform routine maintenance. Since I fish in inshore saltwater, the reel proved way too much of a hassle to maintain and quite a letdown after using others Calcutta reels without a problem for many years. The reel is worthless. So I replaced the pile of junk with a Daiwa Zillion Coastal. Terrific reel, and I'll never look back.
Fool me once Shimano.....but it won't happen twice. Bye-bye.

It's all good. I don't think anyone else took your comment regarding one reel as a knock on Shimano all around. I didn't see where you referred to Shimano as junk either.
Oops, I just re-read it and I AM SORRY that I misunderstood U. U just want to call the Calcutta 200D junk ... not the whole Shimano line ...
U might happen to have bad luck with that one particular reel. A friend of mine bought and used one Calcutta 200D and had no issue with it at all.
Personally, I preferred my 200GTB.

Overall, Shimano is still the top company of choices among all anglers (post shows results).

buster 2900
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by buster 2900 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:02 pm

It's okay, lexy. I understand. We all make mistakes, or at least I know I do. All is cool. :D

fishingandfords
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by fishingandfords » Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:46 pm

buster 2900 wrote:It's okay, lexy. I understand. We all make mistakes, or at least I know I do. All is cool. :D
He just more then others. :lol:

Afrayedknot
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Afrayedknot » Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:22 am

Where is shakespeare on this list? :lol:

Kidding, Shimano and Lew's for me. I could only pick one though so it's shimano!

buster 2900
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by buster 2900 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:31 am

Okay, I will try to explain the reason for my referring to the Calcutta D as 'junk’. First off, the reel as such is not junk. It performs very well, as well or better than the TE reels. The problem is reel access. This is real. And it is a major issue. I’ll quote again from Tackle Tour’s 11/4/12 preview of the reel, “A Question of Access in Shimano’s New Calcutta”:

“…while there is no doubt there are some innovation implemented on the new reel there are also questionable design decisions which definitely impact anglers.”

Those design decisions involve reel access, as the title of the Preview would indicate.

I fish on inshore saltwater. Reel maintenance is critical after every use. If saltwater is left inside a reel, that reel is eventually doomed. Hooks, for instance, that are not rinsed with fresh water after use are often severely corroded by the next morning. (Here in South Texas, the inshore bays are subject to high salinity levels as the result of extreme drought which has severely diminished the normal flow of freshwater from rivers into the bays.) To perform routine maintenance of the spool, the spool bearings, the shaft or exposed parts of the reel most subject to corrosion, or even to adjust the brakes, it is necessary on the Calcutta D to remove three panhead screws and take the reel apart. The reel is very tight, and it is necessary to forcefully pull on the handle and rock it back and forth to pry the two sides apart. Doing so with the force necessary doesn’t feel like it could be good for the reel. When the reel finally does come apart, it does so with a vengeance, in the way two things tightly held together suddenly break loose when enough force is applied. They fly apart, and the spool can fall out. Ding the lip of a spool, and it is toast. The reel has possibly the worst design of any quality round baitcast reel of the modern era.

I wasn’t willing to take the reel apart after every use, but I did so several times initially while adjusting for the best brake-pin setting. Each time I opened the reel, there was a pool of saltwater, sand, grit and lube on the bottom of one or both sideplates. There is no drain hole on the non-handle side of the reel, and the pool of liquid did not drain through the hole on the handle side. This was likely due to its high viscosity after sloshing around on the lubed internal parts of the reel. I had never seen this on a TE reel. I don't wade-fish and the reel had never been exposed to saltwater spray.

If memory serves, the Calcutta DC was the last TE model introduced. It has three panhead screws identical to those of the Calcutta D. It is also a TE reel without a thumbscrew. There is a panhead screw that releases a removable sideplate. The reels are virtually identical in color. The internal parts of the two reels could hardly be more different, but the design influence is apparent.

I quit using this reel after three weeks due to its major design issues. The reel is not, in my opinion, appropriate for saltwater use. It is in that sense that the reel is, for me, ‘junk’. I cannot use it. I'm not willing to deliberately ruin a $369 reel—to turn it into actual junk. There was already irreversible discoloration on a part that interfaces with the right sideplate and below the pools of liquid I found on the sideplate. Rather than ruin this expensive reel I will find some useful purpose for it, either by selling it or using it only occasionally when I am willing to take it apart afterword.

For anyone considering a round baitcast reel of similar size to the Calcutta 300 D, please first take a look at the Daiwa Luna 253. It has a magnetic brake that has an external adjustment with eleven different settings on the left sideplate. This sideplate is also removable and provides easy access to the reel for maintenance of the spool, spool bearings, etc. It has a much smoother retrieve than a Calcutta, and on the cast it will outdistance any standard Calcutta reel I’ve used, including the Calcutta 200 GT, and it is at least the equal of the 200 DC. It also holds a bit more line that the 300 D, is .5 of an ounce lighter and is far less expensive.

There is always the bright side, and in this instance it is that after many years as a loyal Shimano user, I have finally learned that there are other, and sometimes better, quality reels available.

aprestonSEK
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by aprestonSEK » Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:38 pm

Someone else! Lews makes the best reels for the price.

Lexy 123
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Lexy 123 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:52 am

aprestonSEK wrote:Someone else! Lews makes the best reels for the price.
The poll result speaks for itself.
U remind me of a friend tried to argue that Hyundai is the best car for the price/money.
When it first came out in US, I almost got confused it was a Honda's twin sibling.

21farms
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 21farms » Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:00 am

when i was only buying USDM reels, shimano very narrowly edged out daiwa for my vote. however, after discovering the joys of JDM this spring, it is no longer close. of the seven JDM reels i have recently purchased, six are shimanos.

buster 2900
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by buster 2900 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:56 am

Diawa is a reasonably close second in the poll, with everyone else left in the dust. I was a dedicated Shimano loyalist until I got burned (my opinion) on the $369 Calcutta 300 D. Ouch. Yeah, it hurt. I’ve explained why and won’t belabor the point. I replaced it with a Daiwa Luna 253 and feel it is a superior reel. It is also available at nearly $100 less. Nothing Shimano currently offers in round baitcast reels has a system as good as the Magforce Z brake (again, my opinion). The discontinued DC was at the very least a solid contender, but it’s gone too.

Tackle Tour rated the Luna as somewhere between the Calcutta B and the discontinued TE reels, but surprisingly closer to the TE. With the TE gone and the Calcutta D now Shimano’s top-of-the-line round baitcast reel, I don’t think it’s any longer much of a contest.

StarTzar
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by StarTzar » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:49 pm

Lexy 123 wrote:
aprestonSEK wrote:Someone else! Lews makes the best reels for the price.
The poll result speaks for itself.
U remind me of a friend tried to argue that Hyundai is the best car for the price/money.
When it first came out in US, I almost got confused it was a Honda's twin sibling.
Lews has the best bang for your buck.
Poll results show there are an awful lot of sheep out there.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:08 am

I just wanna know who the 17 people who voted for Quantum were :lol: but more serious, id like to hear from the 8 people who voted for Okuma. I'm really trying to convince myself to buy a Helios Air, but that's a fairly steep price if its no bueno. I will likely just get another T3 MX. My fav. Daiwa reel so far.