Is it Daiwa, Shimano, or someone else?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.

Which reel manufacturer is your favorite?

Daiwa
44%
Shimano
46%
Abu Garcia
3%
Quantum
1%
Pfleuger
0%
Ardent
No votes
Lew's
3%
Okuma
0%
Pinnacle
0%
Wright & McGill
No votes
US Reels
No votes
13 Fishing
3%

Total votes: 714

Afrayedknot
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Is it Daiwa, Shimano, or someone else?

Post by Afrayedknot » Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:32 am

Hogsticker2 wrote:I just wanna know who the 17 people who voted for Quantum were :lol: but more serious, id like to hear from the 8 people who voted for Okuma. I'm really trying to convince myself to buy a Helios Air, but that's a fairly steep price if its no bueno. I will likely just get another T3 MX. My fav. Daiwa reel so far.
I have heard to many bad things about okuma. I am scared to buy one. I voted shimano, but i still have never used a daiwa so my vote may change.

Lexy 123
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Lexy 123 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:50 am

I heard few good things about Okuma offshore reels.
What about those 2 persons voted for Pinnacle? What good about this brand. I never owned one before and really like to know.

sjc91
Angler
Angler

Post by sjc91 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:43 am

It's not an Okuma BC but I absolutely love my Okuma Trio spinning reel. It has some of the best drag I have ever felt. It is so incredibly smooth and it can be had for less than $60 on eBay last time I checked.

Afrayedknot
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Afrayedknot » Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:58 am

Switched to daiwa. The tatula blows away any reel I ever used. WOW

tim3716
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by tim3716 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:48 am

Lexy 123 wrote:I heard few good things about Okuma offshore reels.
What about those 2 persons voted for Pinnacle? What good about this brand. I never owned one before and really like to know.
I voted Pinnacle even tough I sold mine off recently because I didn't like the gear ratio. Pinnacle has SUPER smooth reels (At least their high end ones) and they cast really far. I think thy use a higher quality bearing than many other companies out there. A lot of budget minded people will also like how cheap the reels are compared to the amount of bearings and features it has. And the Perfecta rods are the most durable rod I ever owned. They are pretty sensitive too and they are comparable to a Loomis. I cant wait to get my hands on the new Perfecta 7. http://tackletour.com/reviewicast13pinnacle.html
Also they have a 5.75oz reel that is coming out for $100

Bonkers
Angler
Angler

Post by Bonkers » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:34 am

Lew's guy here. After Gloomis wouldn't replace a broken rod that was under warranty, I burnt every Shimano piece I had

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:57 pm

Bonkers wrote:Lew's guy here. After Gloomis wouldn't replace a broken rod that was under warranty, I burnt every Shimano piece I had
Interesting you chose to burn it rather than sell it. Seems like a pretty wise choice. Snap, crackle, pop

Bonkers
Angler
Angler

Post by Bonkers » Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:41 am

no one buys them here because everyone is already loaded with them. Shimano Canada is located here in town thats why

Afrayedknot
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Afrayedknot » Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:13 am

You could have donated them to maybe a highschool fisherman *cough* *cough* *cough* or something rather than burn em.. :lol:

Back on subject - 13 fishing may need to be added to the poll if their reels are as good as they sound.. :D

eSReels
Angler
Angler

Post by eSReels » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:26 pm

I had so much grief with Shimano reels :x ... I didn't burn them though.
I am much happier since I switched to Daiwa :D

Afrayedknot
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Afrayedknot » Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:56 am

eSReels wrote:I had so much grief with Shimano reels :x ... I didn't burn them though.
I am much happier since I switched to Daiwa :D
Same. Daiwa cast farther and smoother IMO. I love the more rugged build of Daiwa's as well. The gear side-plate is aluminum or magnesium on almost all the mid through high end reels which I love. I don't feel as comfortable with a reel that has a carbon or graphite gear sideplate.

buster 2900
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by buster 2900 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:57 pm

I wish Shimano would introduce an upgrade of the USDM Calcutta D or even a new high-end round baitcast reel--$400+. The Calcutta has always been the only round baitcast reel in Shimano's lineup of serious interest to an enthusiast. The Calcutta D, with it's access issues, leaves Shimano wide open for serious competition in this market.

Shimano came into its own with the Calcutta, but now its on-line store for spare parts doesn't support the Calcutta D--it isn't even listed. Its Customer Service department was unaware that the reel had been modified, not that it could provide either the older parts or the new upgraded part. That was a strange experience, two separate calls to Shimano Customer Service to try to convince them that their very own Calcutta 300D had been modified--but for them part #'s 4568 and 4569 were unknown and the new part, #4565, well, available maybe sometime later but not now was the response. And no, the reel has not been modified, I was twice informed. Oh okay, I guess I must have bought a knock-off or something at that Shimano dealer, complete with a schematic showing the parts. That would include the part I removed from the reel and lost. The two local Shimano dealers don't have these parts either. I lost #4569, a screw collar, while maintaining the reel.

I don't get it. It's kind of sad really. Gave up and got a new TD Zillion Coastal. It looks terrific, is very smooth, targeted for inshore fishing, casts the proverbial country mile and has the adjustable MagZ brake. The brake is easily adjustable between casts--not recommended with the Calcutta D.

CJVDH
Angler
Angler

Post by CJVDH » Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:55 am

It's always been shimano for me however I am going to be trying out some new daiwa's this year and am really looking forward to using my Tatula this year can't wait!

Jeremy S
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Jeremy S » Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:00 pm

Until recently it's always been Abu Garcia for me all the time. I switched to a boat full of lews TP reals this year and I do like them but that's gone and they're all for sale hahaha.

I had a few shimano's but never really enjoyed the way they felt in my hand rven though performance was great. Tried a few daiwa, nothing high end and just didn't like them.

When the Tatula came out and everyone was gushing about how great it was I figured I'd try one. Bought a type r and was completely blown away. Now I have it, a regular Tatula with bling parts and bearings from hedgehog, a t3 ballistic, and a zillion and I'm looking for a few others. All of my lews will be going away when I get home from theses 2 weeks at work. Nothing wrong with them or performance, I just completely fell in love with how smooth a daiwa reel is.

fishingman88
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by fishingman88 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:34 am

I used to be a hardcore Daiwa fan, but Shimano has won me over. Once I handled my first DC reel...I was addicted. Plus, I still favor the Stella over the Saltiga for offshore.