Is it Daiwa, Shimano, or someone else?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.

Which reel manufacturer is your favorite?

Daiwa
44%
Shimano
46%
Abu Garcia
3%
Quantum
1%
Pfleuger
0%
Ardent
No votes
Lew's
3%
Okuma
0%
Pinnacle
0%
Wright & McGill
No votes
US Reels
No votes
13 Fishing
3%

Total votes: 714

Afrayedknot
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Is it Daiwa, Shimano, or someone else?

Post by Afrayedknot » Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:41 am

I can't decide if I like daiwa or shimano more..

buster 2900
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by buster 2900 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:28 am

Afrayedknot wrote:I can't decide if I like daiwa or shimano more..
Me either, really. There are enough reels out there now that I think it sometimes depends somewhat on the individual reel as much as the particular brand. The quality has gotten so good with certain reels from either company that it’s becoming difficult to say in general which company is better, I think. In other words, there are some pretty good reels from both Shimano and Daiwa.

bamarico
Angler
Angler

Post by bamarico » Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:20 am

Another vote for Daiwa \:D/

OhioChamp183
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by OhioChamp183 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:33 am

It's a mixture! 8-[

buster 2900
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by buster 2900 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:40 am

Since I fish inshore, I do prefer a round baitcast reel. The only Shimano round baitcast reel that has ever been of interest to me has been the Calcutta. And I think the Calcutta D, due to its access issue, is a dud for inshore fishing. The competition is the TD Luna, and in my opinion it’s the better reel. It's absolutely a better value.

The Luna also has the externally adjustable Mag/Z brake. It is easily adjustable between casts. Bring a screwdriver along if you want to try that with the Calcutta D. I think the future will probably belong to Daiwa.

BARRAMANIAC
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BARRAMANIAC » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:18 pm

buster 2900 wrote:Since I fish inshore, I do prefer a round baitcast reel. The only Shimano round baitcast reel that has ever been of interest to me has been the Calcutta. And I think the Calcutta D, due to its access issue, is a dud for inshore fishing. The competition is the TD Luna, and in my opinion it’s the better reel. It's absolutely a better value.

The Luna also has the externally adjustable Mag/Z brake. It is easily adjustable between casts. Bring a screwdriver along if you want to try that with the Calcutta D. I think the future will probably belong to Daiwa.
Daiwa no longer makes round baitcasters, the only round reels still in production are for inshore jigging, Even the new millionaire is a jigging reel . The luna has been out of production for 2 years all due to the fact that round reels do not sell.

buster 2900
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by buster 2900 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:07 am

BARRAMANIAC wrote:Daiwa no longer makes round baitcasters, the only round reels still in production are for inshore jigging, Even the new millionaire is a jigging reel . The luna has been out of production for 2 years all due to the fact that round reels do not sell.
The Luna is still widely available, and I purchased a brand new one not long ago.

Check out this Millionaire scheduled for a 4/2014 release:

http://all.daiwa21.com/fishing/item/ree ... index.html

It is at least a very close cousin to the Luna. Wish I could read the details. Maybe a 5.8:1 gear ratio but not sure. Possibly the line capacities are indicated using the PE system of line measurement. I think the conversion rate would put this reel around $300 USD. What I also like about the TD Luna and this new Millionaire is that they have a classic round baitcast reel design. Of recent Calcuttas, only the Calcutta B has had such a design.

I do recall your comment on the Daiwa forum concerning the round baitcast reels. It caught my attention at the time since I’ve had the same concerns. And I totally agree with your comment on the thread (and understand your current comment as well). The careful wording of the Daiwa reply was not completely reassuring.

http://forums.tackletour.com/viewtopic.php?f=68&t=53490

One more thing is I can easily palm a 200 size baitcast reel. It is very comfortable in my hand. With an LP reel, my thumb is usually somewhere beyond the line guide or even on the spool. It's a very awkward feeling.

BARRAMANIAC
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BARRAMANIAC » Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:01 pm

It is still available because they don't sell to many of them. The new millionaire has no cast control system and is designed for inshore jigging, I got the info direct from daiwa Australia

buster 2900
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by buster 2900 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:10 am

BARRAMANIAC wrote:It is still available because they don't sell to many of them. The new millionaire has no cast control system and is designed for inshore jigging, I got the info direct from daiwa Australia
Thanks for the info. It’s what I thought after you said the Luna has been out of production for two years. It’s disappointing about the new JDM Millionaire though. Most of the interest, and profit, is obviously with the LP reels. Simple supply and demand, I guess.

f15h1n6
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by f15h1n6 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:03 am

shimano is pretty good but I havent used much of daiwa reels since

fletch616
Angler
Angler

Post by fletch616 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:01 pm

The scorpion xt1000 made me convert...sorry quantum

metanium
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by metanium » Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:42 pm

I'm a long-time Shimano guy, I got my first Bantam 10X in '84 at age 11! (I still use this reel BTW :shock: !!) In the late 90's, as I finished up college, I got into JDM by importing a Scorpion 1000, 1500 and a Metanium XT from Japan. Those reels satisfied my tackle bug for over a decade, not a hitch with any of them!

I the last 2 years or so, the tackle bug bit me again. The last 4 reels I've purchased have better than anything I've thrown previously and go to show me that Shimano is just getting better.

Last 4 - Metanium MG7, Chronarch CI4+, Exsence DC, & Curado I!

Count me a Shimano guy for life!

t-Smalle
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by t-Smalle » Sun May 11, 2014 1:58 am

I really like Daiwa and Shimano, but just really prefer Daiwa. Especially the new Tatula reels.

adam36801
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by adam36801 » Tue May 20, 2014 11:06 am

13 Fishing all the way!

ILure1
Angler
Angler

Post by ILure1 » Wed May 28, 2014 3:06 pm

t-Smalle wrote:I really like Daiwa and Shimano, but just really prefer Daiwa. Especially the new Tatula reels.
I got a tatula and the TWS broken in days, i will never vote for daiwa :strface: