Is it Daiwa, Shimano, or someone else?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.

Which reel manufacturer is your favorite?

Daiwa
44%
Shimano
46%
Abu Garcia
3%
Quantum
1%
Pfleuger
0%
Ardent
No votes
Lew's
3%
Okuma
0%
Pinnacle
0%
Wright & McGill
No votes
US Reels
No votes
13 Fishing
3%

Total votes: 714

belippy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Is it Daiwa, Shimano, or someone else?

Post by belippy » Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:54 am

vszero wrote:
belippy wrote:spinning reel - Daiwa

casting reel - Shimano
balsphemy , disgrace.
i guess you hadnt used higher end daiwa reels

I have steez and dawia-Z casting reel"may not be high end enough?!?", But I still think chronarch is better!!

october
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by october » Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:08 am

shimano:

longevity.

durability.

casting.

style.

customers service.

robxc80
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by robxc80 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:11 pm

I like the styling better on the Daiwa's. They seem innovative, and they definitely look hot.

That being said, after buying a Chronarch and comparing it to the Zillion...i can't help but vote Shimano...i really like the chronarch.

ecu daniel 14
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by ecu daniel 14 » Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:23 pm

Sorry Shimano....I just got my first Pixy.....

Daiwa Pixy > all
stress-what happens between fishing trips

67er
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by 67er » Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:44 am

Well, if there is only one option it has to be Shimano. Otherwise I had go for Daiwa and Shimano. The reason I prefer Shimano over Daiwa is the revised low profile compact body bc reels and centrifugal braking. Daiwa knows mag sux (hence SPR Pixy?) but they have gone too deep into it. I wonder where is this 3D mag and T3 thing going given the bulk of the system and unnecessary weight added for marginal performance. Hopefully they will wake up one day and start to roll out more reels featuring simple centrifugal braking system. When this happens, Shimano is in big trouble as this will effectively lessen spool and reel weight, and of course, a smaller body. :P

PS, still keeping my Type R zillion, T3 and Z2020SH.

Ginson
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Ginson » Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:02 am

67er wrote:Well, if there is only one option it has to be Shimano. Otherwise I had go for Daiwa and Shimano. The reason I prefer Shimano over Daiwa is the revised low profile compact body bc reels and centrifugal braking. Daiwa knows mag sux (hence SPR Pixy?) but they have gone too deep into it. I wonder where is this 3D mag and T3 thing going given the bulk of the system and unnecessary weight added for marginal performance. Hopefully they will wake up one day and start to roll out more reels featuring simple centrifugal braking system. When this happens, Shimano is in big trouble as this will effectively lessen spool and reel weight, and of course, a smaller body. :P

PS, still keeping my Type R zillion, T3 and Z2020SH.
OMG... i think u just smash a hornet nest here...

IMHO. Daiwa fanatics are some of the most sensitive and intolerant kind in the world :-$ ... so beware mate, storm is just brewing [-o< ... good luck

I do not side which brand but just the good tackles tat suits me... but i agree i like centrifigual much better :big grin:

ecu daniel 14
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by ecu daniel 14 » Sat Sep 17, 2011 6:31 am

I beleive there is a time and a place for all types of breaking systems. Thats not what this thread is meant to discuss though. I am more of the Daiwa breaking system then anything else. Thats just me.
stress-what happens between fishing trips

67er
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by 67er » Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:15 am

heh, I love my Daiwas too! These are not wifes, don't be afraid to own different ones.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:24 pm

I worked at a tackle shop while in college in the late 1980's and early 1990's. We sold a lot of both Shimano and Daiwa, and we were a Shimano certified service center. I was the go to guy for all reel tuning and repair. One reel manufacturer was, and still is, the most reliable day in and day out. That was and still is Daiwa. I have owned a couple dozen high end Daiwa baitcasting and spinning reels over the years and I still use everyone with nothing but a few very minor problems over the decades.

GARRIGA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GARRIGA » Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:43 am

I would venture to guess based on price point and sponsorship levels driving sales that quantum would out sell all brands and yet only 11 votes. I'm wondering if the guys fishing KVD's reel bother to come to this forum or saw Daiwa and Shimano on the title and just ignored this thread. Lol

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:37 pm

Between Daiwa AND Shimano, all my reel needs are covered :big grin:
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

OnlyOneCanoli
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by OnlyOneCanoli » Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:54 pm

Shimano for me

OnlyOneCanoli
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by OnlyOneCanoli » Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:55 pm

If I had to pick

Jack680T
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Jack680T » Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:41 pm

Even though i voted Shimano for bait casting... i would go for Pflueger for the spinning models. i find it curious that few if no mention of Quantum with their incredibly desirable Smoke and EXO models - if i get the chance to try one or both models i might switch allegiances
cheers... jt

maxsmartinwi
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by maxsmartinwi » Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:37 pm

I used to fish with Daiwa almost exclusively, but now I've gone mainly to Shimano. On the baitcasting side I had an Alpha Ito which I sold after one season. I had a Steez 100 ha which was very smooth and refined to me and casted great under normal conditions, but I tended to backlash it more than I'd like especially in close range. I acquired a conquest 100 and for the last season and I half I had a head to head competition and found I liked the conquest 100 alot more. I recently traded the Steez for a Calcutta TE 200 DC and have really gotten to like this reel alot, so much so I sold my Certate hypercustom so I could purchase a Calais DC next season. I still have a Daiwa Airy Red Pixilla which I love throwing 1/4 oz lures with mainly for smallmouth bass. As for spinning reels I don't think I've fished that I liked more than my Stella 1000 fb, but for larger sized and lower priced spinning reels, the jury's still out as Daiwa reigns supreme in what I've used. I must admit though I liked some of the Quantum spinning reels if it weren't for the weight and I would like to give Abu revo baitcasting and Pflueger patriarch in both spinning and baitcasting models a try.