saltwater worthy reels

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
ecu daniel 14
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

saltwater worthy reels

Post by ecu daniel 14 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:51 pm

I am lookin to buy an extra corrosion resistant baitcasting reel to take out in brackish and salt water for larger species. So far I have been looking in the $200 - $300 price range..I have owned a daiwa viento, revo sx, curado, and quantum...I honestly am not partial to shimano or abu or daiwa or quantum...I am simply looking for the best option to take out into the harsh water.

I am looking at the zillion coastal, revo premier, revo inshore, quantum smoke 150, shimano chronarch. Let me know your opinions and experience with these reels and how they compare to one another to help me decide which to buy.
stress-what happens between fishing trips

ecu daniel 14
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: saltwater worthy reels

Post by ecu daniel 14 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:04 pm

and the Okuma Serrano

JDLaman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by JDLaman » Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:13 pm

One word: Shimano

johnD
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by johnD » Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:31 pm

I use a calcutta 100B on the flats ,top water..Zillion Coastal is the best out of the ones you mentioned..Curado 300E is made for saltwater, its spool is solid not drilled out , that keeps saltwater off your spool bearings.My other inshore reels are Saros 3000's with 15# braid.

ecu daniel 14
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by ecu daniel 14 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:34 pm

have you ever had problems with the zillion's drag? its fairly weak when compared to the Revos...

Redfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Redfish » Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:39 pm

I own a Revo STX, Coastal Zillion, and an old daiwa coastal. They are all awesome! I also use a calcutta 150 for inshore fishing. None of them has never let me down on the water. I am partial to the coastal zillion now, but the stx is a very close second for me.
[url=http://www.yakangler.com][img]http://www.yakangler.com/images/stories/banners/YakAngler_Sunrise.png[/img][/url]

poker_lamina
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by poker_lamina » Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:28 pm

I would go with a Revo Winch if you are fishing bull reds,stripers, grouper, and snappers. You'll need the increased drag power.

strathy
Angler
Angler

Post by strathy » Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:40 pm

Revo Inshore or Winch for lighter lines and non running fish, Revo Toros for heavier lines or long running fish.
The new Zillion looks a good choice for light line work too.
A mate rates the Curados.

johnD
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by johnD » Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:50 am

Drag is not really a issue I can whip a 40+" bull red or snook in a matter of minutes with my calcutta it has 10lbs of drag and I never use all of that.

jtrotter
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jtrotter » Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:12 pm

my vote: Revo Inshore for general purpose casting ... for bottom, jiggin... go with Revo Toro Winch.... I use both and have caught 10lbs grouper and red snapper in 80 ft of water with braided line.... 40lbs reds and black drum... funnnnnn.
I bleed Orange and Blue.... Go Gators!

craigrbns
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by craigrbns » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:48 pm

I know Im not sticking to the list of candidates, but I dont think you could go wrong with the Calcutta TE line up if you dont mind round reels. Models are available for as big of a species as you want to chase, and models 400 and down can be found around $300 if you keep your eye out. The reels are tanks and will last a life time if they are taken care of. I have several, and love them all.

darrin
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by darrin » Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:36 pm

Another vote here for round reels. I've got a Calcutta 200, Luna 250 and Millionaires in both 200 and 300. I've used all these reels for everything from throwing jigs, swimbaits or bait fishing. But if you're throwing a lot of smaller lures, then the Zillion Coastal or a Revo would be my choice.

ecu daniel 14
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by ecu daniel 14 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:16 pm

thanks for the input guys...I have decided to get the winch...I have been very pleased with my other revos, and im not much of a shimano or daiwa fan (probably the wrong website to mention that) I did own a curado and viento and wasnt pleased with either...my revo still remains...IMO Abu makes a quality product.

SLM
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SLM » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:33 pm

ecu daniel 14 wrote:I am lookin to buy an extra corrosion resistant baitcasting reel to take out in brackish and salt water for larger species. So far I have been looking in the $200 - $300 price range
Can't believe nobody suggest one of the Newell P220 conventionals. Very corrosion resistant, small-sized and will handle larger fish better than any of the baitcasters mentioned. It's made exactly for what you posted above. It's a proven reel and still made in the USA.