$300

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
ecu daniel 14
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

$300

Post by ecu daniel 14 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:32 pm

would you buy chronarch, zillion coastal, or premier...and why?
stress-what happens between fishing trips

Fat-G
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: $300

Post by Fat-G » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:41 pm

Premier, just cause I've heard good things and don't like the shape of the Chronarch. Plus, I wanna try an Abu.

Redfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Redfish » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:50 pm

I asked myself that same question about 5 months ago and I chose the Coastal. I still want a Premiere, and that will be my next purchase. I definitely am quite pleased with the coastal, especially since it looks custom made for my dobyns rod!
[url=http://www.yakangler.com][img]http://www.yakangler.com/images/stories/banners/YakAngler_Sunrise.png[/img][/url]

ecu daniel 14
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by ecu daniel 14 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:54 pm

yeah I really enjoy my Revo sx, but the Coastal seems much better, and its good for inshore fishing as well...the premier isnt...

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:37 pm

I've asked myself about the Premier 8 times. And each time I've said yes!
I was impressed by the casting performance, smoothness on retrieve, drag performance, ease of maintenance, smoothness, handling/comfort and finish.
I don't baby my equipment but I don't abuse it either. I've read where people aren't impressed about the finish or it takes a rash easily. I haven't found that to be the case at all. These reels are coming up behind the TD-Z itos and others, very tough act to follow indeed and have not missed a step. The may lack the some of the cosmetic appeal but more than make up for it with being salt water friendly.

breezy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by breezy » Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:53 pm

In the price range I would go with the Premier. With all of the lightweight reels around anymore I prefer a reel that weighs about 7oz or less. Also it seems like the Premier has the best deals online so you can usually find it cheaper than the other two.

The Zillion would be a close second, simply because I don't have a lot of experience with Daiwa reels but hear a lot of great things.

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:00 pm

Johnny A wrote:I've asked myself about the Premier 8 times. And each time I've said yes!
I was impressed by the casting performance, smoothness on retrieve, drag performance, ease of maintenance, smoothness, handling/comfort and finish.
I don't baby my equipment but I don't abuse it either. I've read where people aren't impressed about the finish or it takes a rash easily. I haven't found that to be the case at all. These reels are coming up behind the TD-Z itos and others, very tough act to follow indeed and have not missed a step. The may lack the some of the cosmetic appeal but more than make up for it with being salt water friendly.
Just one further note ... I've used other Zillions beside the Coastal, JDM and USDM and prefer the Premier. I did purchase a JDM Zillion recently just because I think they fit better on Megabass reel seats.

ecu daniel 14
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by ecu daniel 14 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:03 pm

the premier is saltwater friendly?! I talked to an Abu rep and she told me that she wouldnt recommend it because they have had reports of the magnetic breaking system failing due to salt water abuse.....is she wrong???? if she is that answers all my questions lol

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:09 pm

ecu daniel 14 wrote:the premier is saltwater friendly?! I talked to an Abu rep and she told me that she wouldnt recommend it because they have had reports of the magnetic breaking system failing due to salt water abuse.....is she wrong???? if she is that answers all my questions lol
I've only used it in brackish water, not salt. That's opposed to the magnesium TD Zs. If the factory rep said no, I would follow her advice.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:33 pm

Are you really gonna spend $300? If so, just stop Star Bucks for about a month and stretch for a Calais...lots of choices on the 200 size and the 100A is a top choice for SW as well.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

ogrich31
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ogrich31 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:01 pm

Premier>Zillion>Chronarch for me.

I've owned all of them except the Zillion Costal, but I've had other Zillions. I really think you'll be happy with any of them. They are all higher end reels. I choose Premier because it really is my best reel that I own at the moment. My Zillion was a really nice reel that was a workhorse. I would choose the Chronarch over the other 2 if you don't need all that line capacity.

ecu daniel 14
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by ecu daniel 14 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:34 am

dragon1 wrote:just stop Star Bucks for about a month and stretch for a Calais
hahahaha thats so true...

SkeeterZX22v
Angler
Angler

Post by SkeeterZX22v » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:31 pm

ecu daniel 14 wrote:would you buy chronarch, zillion coastal, or premier...and why?
Last time I bought chronarchs. This time I bought zillions. Can't really say one is better than the other--both are really nice reels. I personally seem to prefer Daiwa, but who can argue with Shimano? Right now, if I buy more, they will be zillions. The zillions just seem to be a little more solid than the chronarchs.

Jighead61
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jighead61 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:26 pm

Zillion > Chronarch

Sportive
Angler
Angler

Post by Sportive » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:18 am

Hello, which reel do you think that improves better with light weights: Chronarch D, Zillion or Premier?