$300

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Buck2thPerch
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: $300

Post by Buck2thPerch » Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:35 am

Sportive wrote:Hello, which reel do you think that improves better with light weights: Chronarch D, Zillion or Premier?
Light weights? Zillion>Chronarch>Premiere. Zillion beats the Chronarch but I would say by just a hair. Flippin and Pitching, is another question.

The 2005-2009 Premiere Model was subpar and was not worth the money. The new one, however, I've heard its better built. I haven't used a newer Premiere but I know alot of people who does and say's the Chronarch casts better then the new Premiere. But the zillions trumph both. That was my take with the old Premiere and even with the new Premiere it hasn't changed.

I would put more money into a Zillion but seeing how I have mostly zillions now, I'd probably get another Chronarch. Reason is, Shimano's VBS pitches and Flips better and farther than any zillions or Abu reels that I have used. And all my Flippin/Pitching Rigs are Shimano reels.

My 2.5Cents
Marine General Staff - Duluth MN
**What is fishing?**

Sportive
Angler
Angler

Post by Sportive » Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:26 am

And comparing the Chronarch to the Curado 101D, of course if talking only about ligth weight casting (not construction quality), which one is better?

I ask that because I haven't used the zillion or premier... and need to compare with something I know how works :D

Buck2thPerch
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Buck2thPerch » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:52 am

Sportive wrote:And comparing the Chronarch to the Curado 101D, of course if talking only about ligth weight casting (not construction quality), which one is better?

I ask that because I haven't used the zillion or premier... and need to compare with something I know how works :D
The regular chronarch will outcast the Curado in light weight and normal.
**What is fishing?**

falcon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by falcon » Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:23 pm

I havent had it long but have used a few in the past and i feel the D7 is the sweetest casting reel I ever owned. Only reel better I feel is the Calais.
Legend Alpha 211/Merc 250 Pro XS

progressive816
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by progressive816 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:41 pm

It's a tight one between the Zillion and Chronarch for me. I would give the Chronarch the slight edge in both distance and light weight.
Raw power and ergonomics goes to the Zillion. Sold the Chronarch earlier this year. Liked it, but did not miss the ergonomics and the looseness of the non-handle sideplate.

Zillion is just a solid and strong reel. Max drag has never been an issue for me.
Pb-LMB 6lb7oz

ecu daniel 14
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by ecu daniel 14 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:12 pm

just got a chronarch in the mail today and upgraded to abec 9s...I must say...i am VERY pleased with it so far
stress-what happens between fishing trips

Buck2thPerch
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Buck2thPerch » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:33 am

ecu daniel 14 wrote:just got a chronarch in the mail today and upgraded to abec 9s...I must say...i am VERY pleased with it so far
You will love the Chronarch with ABEC9's. I can't thank BlackJack23 enough for my ABEC9's.
**What is fishing?**

Sportive
Angler
Angler

Post by Sportive » Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:12 am

What oil must be used for the abec 9?

ecu daniel 14
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by ecu daniel 14 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:29 am

you dont need to use any oil if they have ceramic balls....i bought mine with a very little drop of hot sauce in them, doesnt improve performance any it just keeps the bearings a little more quiet
stress-what happens between fishing trips

spiritman13
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by spiritman13 » Sun May 01, 2011 8:42 am

I recently bought two Abu Premier casting reels for $140 each (a great 1-day deal I found), and I used them for the first time this past week. It's obviously early in the evaluation process, but my initial impressions are VERY positive. Excellent build quality, very light weight, great ergonomics, and a really effective drag system (20 pounds). If you are in the market for a reel with these qualities, the Abu Premier deserves to be on your "short list" -- especially if you can find a good deal on the price.

L a r r y
Angler
Angler

Post by L a r r y » Sun May 01, 2011 5:06 pm

Buck2thPerch wrote:
Sportive wrote:Hello, which reel do you think that improves better with light weights: Chronarch D, Zillion or Premier?
The 2005-2009 Premiere Model was subpar and was not worth the money. The new one, however, I've heard its better built. I haven't used a newer Premiere but I know alot of people who does and say's the Chronarch casts better then the new Premiere. But the zillions trumph both. That was my take with the old Premiere and even with the new Premiere it hasn't changed.

My 2.5Cents
I have 3 2009 Premiers and one 2011 HS Premier. I can say that I do not see much difference other than the dual breaking on the 2011, that I would say that the 2009 Premier is sub par. Both casts well, maintenance on them is very easy and they both can take a beating. I've heard the same reports, but with my reels, I have not experienced any of them. Casting ability on the 09 is phenominal, once you get it set up to the type of lure you will be throwing it is an awesome reel. I use my Premiers for tossing weightless senkos to 6 inch huddleston weedless swim baits. I know some people will have their brand favorites, and my favorite is with ABU GARCIA REVO PREMIER AND STX :)

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Sun May 01, 2011 5:40 pm

L a r r y wrote:
Buck2thPerch wrote:

My 2.5Cents
I have 3 2009 Premiers and one 2011 HS Premier. I can say that I do not see much difference other than the dual breaking on the 2011, that I would say that the 2009 Premier is sub par. Both casts well, maintenance on them is very easy and they both can take a beating. I've heard the same reports, but with my reels, I have not experienced any of them. Casting ability on the 09 is phenominal, once you get it set up to the type of lure you will be throwing it is an awesome reel. I use my Premiers for tossing weightless senkos to 6 inch huddleston weedless swim baits. I know some people will have their brand favorites, and my favorite is with ABU GARCIA REVO PREMIER AND STX :)
I've been using the Revos since they've been out, simultaneously with the TD Z reels. I gave up the TD Zs because of brackish water necessity. I picked up a JDM Zillion a few months ago, sold it! Got a discounted Cabela's Zillion, sent it back! Got the Zillion Type R, which I'll keep because it's got some drag power!
Aesthetically, fit and finish the Zillion's got the looks but the Revo's got the power!

Buck2thPerch
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Buck2thPerch » Sun May 01, 2011 7:59 pm

As far as the 2005-2009 Revo Premiere is concerned, I have fished it and personally thought is was a good light reel. But that was just one outing with a Professional Bass Tournament Pro Buddy. I know quite a few Pro Tournament guys and they all use Revo STX's but when I asked them about the older premiere, they told me to stay away from it. Too many problems and not worth the price. They told me to just stick to my heavier Revo STX or get Curados. I trust the guys who uses reels and rods 8+ months out of the year.

I had four 2005-2009 Revo STX and sold them all for Curado 200E's. Don't get me wrong, they are good reels and I loved the drag, but two things that really bugged the hell out of me is 1) - for $200 reel, you would think the gray finish would be more durable and better. 2) - After a couple of years of use, the handles became loose, wobbly, and required monthly to bi-monthly screw down. Again, all my Pro Tourney guys said and noticed the same things about these older Revo STX's as well. Don't get me wrong, these guys have over 8-10 Revo STX's in thier Line up and use them every tournament they are in over 9-10 month periods. But due to the Drag Power of these reels, everyone tournament guy I know have sold the older ones and bought newer 2010+ Revo STX models. I can usually buy the Tournament guys' 1yrs-2yrs old stuff since they always upgrade yearly or bi-yearly. I am hoping to land at least three newer but used Revo STX's and usually for about $80 each.
**What is fishing?**

BRONZEBACK29
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK29 » Tue May 03, 2011 9:57 am

Chronarch D7 is worth every penny, casts light lures has a good drag and is smooth forever...
LIVE TO FISH-FISH TO LIVE

Finnz922
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Finnz922 » Wed May 04, 2011 5:14 am

Zillion Coastal because it feels more refined Chronarch. Handle length is better than the Premier. Just my opinion.