Larger Lures on Alphas?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
BB144
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Larger Lures on Alphas?

Post by BB144 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:59 pm

The Alphas R-edition or Ito are two of my choices for my next reel. But I wanted a little feedback on how they handle heavier lures. I know they'll handle the 1/4oz jigs and lighter plastics I'll be throwing, but what about 1/2oz jigs, 5", 6", 7" Senkos? I know it is designed for lighter lures, but will it handle casting those larger lures?
cabinfeverlures.webs.com
fb.com/CabinFeverLures

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: Larger Lures on Alphas?

Post by Tokugawa » Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:28 pm

Those will be fine. I use an Alphas 103 for TX rigging with a 1/4oz weight + the plastic. Sometimes the plastic is a 5" senko...

froteur
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by froteur » Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:55 pm

I've used my Alphas for everything short of punching. I'd actually use them for that too but I have a TD-Z dedicated to that. The only thing that kicked my butt recently with my Alphas was when I tried to use one for deep-cranking. Bad idea!!!!! ](*,) ](*,) Ended up having to track down a Shimano BPV. :big grin:

Perry

Pmedicbm
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Pmedicbm » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:15 am

I use mine mostly for spinnerbaits and shallow cranking but would feel fine going up on lure weight some. The only issue i have with mine is the slightly slower gear ratio. Its not the best choice if you need to move a lot of line quickly. They're awesome reels and actually one of my top two favorites next to my Steez...
Pmedicbm

BB144
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by BB144 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:54 am

Thanks guys, glad to know they will handle heavier lures ok.

The low gear ratio does kind of concern me, that's why my first choice was a Zillion 50th (that and I love the bright red!). I've been throwing these lures on a Viento with a 6.3:1 gear ratio and it's not bad, but I would have liked to go faster, not slower. I still want to add an Ito or an R-edition to my collection sometime though!
cabinfeverlures.webs.com
fb.com/CabinFeverLures