What to get reel in $100 range

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
StPaulPike
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

What to get reel in $100 range

Post by StPaulPike » Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:34 am

I been moving reels to diffrent rods now i have an extra rod with no reel. It will become my backup. I just wa nt to get a reel in the 80-110 range. Im looking to try something new so far this is my list.

Shimano caenan
Okuma cayenne
Lews Speed Spool
BPS Carbon lite
BPS johnny morris limited
Gander x factor

I already own alot of citicas so no need to suggest that, i know how good it is just a good time to try something new.

Alright Tackle tour make my mind up LOL

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: What to get reel in $100 range

Post by slipperybob » Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:04 am

I wanna try a Lews.
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish

Mr SwimJig
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Mr SwimJig » Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:14 am

Carbon Lite or Pro Qualifer or the Lews Speed Spool, I have the Lews Tournament Pros and love them and have heard nothing but good things about the Speed Spool.

SJ

finfinder
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by finfinder » Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:55 am

The BPS Pro Qualifier is on sale for $79.97 right now. It is my first choice for the best $100 reel. I've bought three so far over the last two years. They work great. No problems whatsoever. You can even return it within thirty days if you don't like it.

The Carbonlite is a lighter version of the Pro Qualifier. The Pro Qualifier is a generic version of the Revo.
The Johnny Morris is a different design and heavier. The Caenan ain't in the same league. It felt cheap.
The lews stuff does show some promise but it's too early to tell how well they hold up.
Don't know anything about the Okuma so I cant' comment.

steve1206
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by steve1206 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:43 pm

I would look at the BPS brands out of those...prob most bang for your buck (But I'd stick to the Citica E)...

StPaulPike
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by StPaulPike » Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:22 pm

Yeah i love all my citicas and all my shimanos. But i always get the itch to try something new here and there. Night save up and go for a higher end Lews. Then of course my rod wouldnt be good enough and i would need a new one the circle of tackle go's on and on.

angler96
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by angler96 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:28 pm

I would get the caenan. i have one on my swim jig rod and its a pretty decent reel for the money.

Buck2thPerch
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Buck2thPerch » Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:00 pm

finfinder wrote:The BPS Pro Qualifier is on sale for $79.97 right now. It is my first choice for the best $100 reel. I've bought three so far over the last two years. They work great. No problems whatsoever. You can even return it within thirty days if you don't like it.

The Carbonlite is a lighter version of the Pro Qualifier. The Pro Qualifier is a generic version of the Revo.
The Johnny Morris is a different design and heavier. The Caenan ain't in the same league. It felt cheap.
The lews stuff does show some promise but it's too early to tell how well they hold up.
Don't know anything about the Okuma so I cant' comment.
2X
Marine General Staff - Duluth MN
**What is fishing?**

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by smalljaw » Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:18 pm

I'd say go with the Lews, the Caenan looks good but that graphite frame is a deal breaker for me, the Lews speed spool at 90 bucks with an aluminum frame is the way to go.
Barlow's Tackle

ecu daniel 14
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by ecu daniel 14 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:21 pm

Okuma cayenne $69 (http://www.outdoorproshop.com/?Click=592).....IMO cannot beat it for the price
stress-what happens between fishing trips

StPaulPike
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by StPaulPike » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:54 am

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. Im down to okuma or bps pro qual. I think the abec 5's on the okuma might win me over. Either that or i will flip a coin and place an order.

ecu daniel 14
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by ecu daniel 14 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:32 am

BPS pro q has duel breaking (some love it some hate it)...Okuma has centrifugal breaking (similar to your shimanos)...why fix what isnt broken?...IMO you cant go wrong with either decision...but you might be happier with the Okuma by saving the $10 to buy some line for it :big grin:

ecu daniel 14
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by ecu daniel 14 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:10 am

p.s. if you order from monsterfishingtackle.com they are giving free sunline fishing line and a reel cover with each purchase...how can you possibly beat this?..sorry but i may have to force you to buy it lol :lol:

finfinder
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by finfinder » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:29 am

ecu daniel 14 wrote:BPS pro q has duel breaking (some love it some hate it)...Okuma has centrifugal breaking (similar to your shimanos)...why fix what isnt broken?...IMO you cant go wrong with either decision...but you might be happier with the Okuma by saving the $10 to buy some line for it :big grin:
Actually the dual braking on the PQ is the best thing about it. It's a piece of cake to setup and you very seldom have to touch it (except when the wind gets nasty - like now !). It's the same system on my $200 Patriarch and the $200 STX. It works well.

I have mine set with only two centrifugal brakes on (up) and the mag brake set to 4.5 - that's it. I can cast all day and never touch it, even change lures and still don't have to touch it. If the wind comes up I'll click the mag brake two or three times and cast directly into a 15- 20 mph wind without a backlash. For $79 .... and you can return it ... geez.

robchik04
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by robchik04 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:37 am

ninja0 has been using the carbonlite, i believe. you may want to ping him on his thoughts. He is really enjoying them and thinks they are great for the $$$. A buddy of mine used the Caenan and said it was great!
robchik.com