What to get reel in $100 range

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
breezy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: What to get reel in $100 range

Post by breezy » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:19 am

I can vouch for the Carbonlite being a great reel. I've posted plenty of reviews before the site crashed but quite honestly I loved it. As I posted in the BPS Reels topic, you really do seem to get a lot for your money. My Carbonlite compares favorably to my Patriarch and Zillion and I prefer the CL over my Revo S.

The dual braking system is great also. You can set the centrifugal pins and forget it like most do with Shimanos, or use the magnetic braking to fine tune for wind/lure changes. Regardless of what you decide in the end, I would go with something outside your normal choices. Try something new (whether it's a different brand, different type of braking, etc) and see if you like it. I don't think you can beat the Carbonlite in the $100 range, although some of the Okuma reels on sale look like great deals also.

BASSLAYER
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by BASSLAYER » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:35 am

does anybody know if the spools interchange between a revo and the carbonlite?
Kenjutsu
(剣術)

finfinder
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by finfinder » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:43 pm

Y'know, if they made the Carbonlite in a different color and gave it a little more drag, I'd be all over that thing.
But, to be fair, the Johnny Morris Gold still takes the prize as the ugliest reel Basspro made.

StPaulPike
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by StPaulPike » Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:41 pm

Well i went carbonlite a TT member put one up in the for sale forum for 89 brand new. Figured i couldnt pass it up. I look foward to trying it. Minnesota opener cant get here soon enough.

bob75
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bob75 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:14 am

Not on your list, but I would go with the Citica 200E. Available for just under $100 with free shipping