swimbait reel & reel for punching

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
holden234
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: swimbait reel & reel for punching

Post by holden234 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:25 am

I use a Curado 300 for smaller swimbaits and Amb 5600 and 6500 for the larger swimbaits.

Peacheater81
Angler
Angler

Post by Peacheater81 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:11 am

I am using a Diawa Luna 300 for swimbaits and a E7 for punching

e_bassfisher
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by e_bassfisher » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:10 am

DrPerf wrote:
e_bassfisher wrote:Z2020! hands down....best reel i have EVER used. will handle light to regular wt bass stuff, as well as the heavy artillery!
Ian, stop that! =;
Since it is now in a LH version, it becoming very difficult to not purchase that reel :not talking: :big grin:

Doc
you know you need one....trust me, you won't regret it!! :big grin:

GARRIGA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GARRIGA » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:04 am

I got my Z2020H last night and packed it with 65 lb 832. The size and low profile of an Curado 300 with the internals of a Pluton. Balances well with an 8 ft or so rod. I can see this being a work horse for punching. I have it on my 795ML for tossing Lunker Punkers and will try it out tonight or this weekend. Awesome looking reel and I'm expecting it to cast and handle as well as my Pluton but way more comfortable. Getting another soon.

I wanted to add that I'm planning on punching/flipping a 14" Hogy with a 7/0 Gami and a 2 oz Tungsten on this setup. Big profile bait targeting big lazy females that have seen it all. I guess you can call this punching - swimbait style. Big is better...

RWSCHMITZ
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by RWSCHMITZ » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:57 am

GARRIGA: How many yds of 832 did the Z2020 hold ????
Pimp My Rod & Reel Richard W. Schmitz

GARRIGA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GARRIGA » Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:47 am

RWSCHMITZ wrote:GARRIGA: How many yds of 832 did the Z2020 hold ????
No clue because wound on by hand but the spool is the same as a Pluton and I was able to transfer every inch of the same line off a Cuado 301 I had. According to the box, it's 330 yards of 30 lb braid on the Pluton and the 20 lb mono is I believe 100 meters. Plenty of room for punching with 100 lb braid and workable with 20-25 lb mono depending what you're doing.

GARRIGA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GARRIGA » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:49 pm

For those considering a Z, I just finished repacking it with line under pressure (estimated 10-15 lbs plus) and it felt like a beast. Just like the Pluton felt when I did the same thing. Even with the 32" per crank pick up, it feels like it's got some serious power. I'm going to throw a 1/2 oz large single Colorado one of these nights to see how much power it really has.

As for punching, I was play casting in the living room (felt like the engine commercial of the guys pitching in their drive way, lol) just to see how the entire setup felt and I was very happy. The extra weight of the reel balances perfectly with the 795ML and with the extra long handle it sits right under my arm pit making the entire process seem lighter then it is. If my estimation on it's cranking power with the large pick up is correct, this should be the ultimate punching reel. I know there's an RCSB 2014 spool that's 17 grams and only holds 100m of 14 lb mono that should be nice with 100 lb braid for those that like to toss the salad.

Before I forget, it's a lefty, too. Got it from Brooklyn Bill hassle free.

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zodiak311 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:44 pm

Evergreener,
This is what I use:

Swimbaits: Calcutta 250GT TE, the slower gear ratio really helps with large swimbait water resistance, reduces arm fatigue, and allows the bait to exhibit more "action" with the slower gear ratio, you could of course slow down your retrieve, but it also gives you more cranking power as well.

Punching: Zillion 50th, fast gear ratio, and plenty of power

Good luck with your search!
Get your kids hooked on fishing, and they'll never have any money for drugs or alcohol.

rubs96
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by rubs96 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:03 am

This is the best and most informative review I've read regarding this topic! It's honestly my favourite article! So much quality info. It's amazing!

For a swimbait reel, you're looking for something with a good line capacity and capable of holding a good amount of 20lb. mono/fluoro. Any 200 sized reel fits that and works well for the smaller baits.

For a punching/flippin' reel, you're looking for a reel that can pull fish out quickly.

My swimbait reel switched a lot until this Christmas lol. I've used Calcutta TE200DC, Calcutta TE200GT, Chronarch 100BPV and others. My buddy got me the Cardiff 400A for Christmas and it's now mounted on my swimbait rod (St. Croix LTB Swimbait rod) and can't wait to use it! I don't have many swimbaits over the 3-4oz. range so this reel may be overkill so I'll probably swap it out for the Chronarch 100BPV when throwing the lighter stuff (Tru Tungsten Bluegill, Mattlures stuff, etc.). I have 20lb on the Cardiff right now so I could play with it :lol: but I will be putting 25lb. mono on it in May. I'll be putting 20lb. fluoro on the Chronarch 100BPV to handle my "regular" swimbaiting.

I don't have a punching reel! I've been thinking about this a lot in the past few weeks as I've been buying new line and baits. Got some new flippin' baits and a ton of line! I'm gonna try 50lb. braid on my Calais DC and see how it goes :D

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:33 pm

e_bassfisher wrote:you know you need one....trust me, you won't regret it!!
:big grin:

DITTO.

BTW GARRIGA, the pic of your Z2020 on Swimbait Nation appears to be a 2020SHL, or the highest speed version in LH?
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

GARRIGA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GARRIGA » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:58 am

dragon1 wrote:
e_bassfisher wrote:you know you need one....trust me, you won't regret it!!
:big grin:

DITTO.

BTW GARRIGA, the pic of your Z2020 on Swimbait Nation appears to be a 2020SHL, or the highest speed version in LH?
That's the one I got. Testing the limitations now but I can tell you this much, great casting reel. I've thrown Hudd ROF 5 with ease. Wish it came in a 5.1 or I can switch the gears to Pluton/Ryoga 5.1. Awesome reel...