swimbait reel & reel for punching

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
evergreener
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

swimbait reel & reel for punching

Post by evergreener » Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:16 am

I was wondering what are the qualities that one would be looking for when choosing a swimbait reel and a punching reel respectively?
like what line capacity requirement? gear ratio? drag power? handle size?

i know that this is a very silly question that varies according to personal preference, but I was curious about what you guys would use for these techniques? mind share some ideas? :big grin:

Again, BIG THANKS to everyone!

robchik04
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: swimbait reel & reel for punching

Post by robchik04 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:53 am

For swimbaits under 4 ounces, I like the Shimano Chronarch 100BSV. I always look for something that'll hold 75+ yards of twenty pound FC. For bigger swimbaits and as a 'swimbaits only' reel i use the Curado 300D.

For punching I like something light, 11+ pounds of drag, oversized gears, and 6.2:1 or faster gear ratio. Line capacities i'm not so worried about as i punch with braid.

I'm currently using a Core. Another reel i tried and really like is the Curado E. A reel i woud love to try are the Revos. Heard those were absolute powerhouses.
robchik.com

Ong Jim
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Ong Jim » Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:54 am

I have a Pluton 200H that I use for swimbait and bank fishing Carolina rig with 2-4 oz. I throw swimbaits in the 6-8 oz range and it has no problem cranking it in. I only used it maybe 15 times and dont have a long term opinion on it, but for now, I think it is a powerful reel.

I used my Zillion 50th to punch a couple of times and it seems to haul fishes out of the weeds really fast. And I think that is the main idea when punching, to get in and out quickly.

GARRIGA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GARRIGA » Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:12 pm

I don't punch but my swimbait reel is a Pluton loaded with 65lb braid and I love the way it casts 6" Punkers and Hudd 8" ROF 5. It feels like a tank. I've only used it twice sparingly but it felt like I made a wise purchase. I'm waiting on my Z2020H which is a low profile version of the Pluton and I expect it will handle many of my lighter swimbait duties. The most recommended swimbait reel is a Calcutta TE. Problem with swimbaiting is the large range of baits, weights and techniques which need to be narrowed down to get the best reel for that purpose. Some prefer braid but most prefer to throw mono because they fear backlashes with the larger baits. If you are looking to throw 25lb mono then the Calcutta sounds like the route to take. I'm comfortable with braid and felt the Pluton would fit my needs. I also don't plan on throwing baits over 6 oz in the near future so I should be good. although, I'm told it should have no issues with bigger baits.

As for punching, if I were to try it, I'd load a Z2020H with 100 lb braid. Based on what little info is available, recommendations made and it's similarities to the Pluton, it should be able to pull the plug from a lake. Some will say it's a heavy reel but I prefer raw power when trying to winch anything that may be burdened with lots of weight.

spicytuna
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by spicytuna » Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:39 pm

I use the Daiwa Pluton 200H for swimbaits and Daiwa Zillion Type R for punching

evergreener
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by evergreener » Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:02 am

thanks so much for the reply! guys! Seems like Daiwa Pluton 200H is a pretty common choice for swimbait! Though I am not too into round BC, I guess I will start looking into them! Oh yeah! and the Calcutta too!

progressive816
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by progressive816 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:13 am

I'm using a Curado 300DSV for swimbaits >1oz with 20lb copolymer.
Pb-LMB 6lb7oz

DrPerf
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by DrPerf » Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:12 am

For swimbaits 2oz and heavier, I use either a supertuned Daiwa Big Bait Special (BBS) with a Zillion HLC spool and 20lb Toray Super Hard Upgrade or a Shimano Conquest 201DC spooled with 55lb Toray finesse braid/20lb fluorocarbon leader. This year for punching/flipping, I plan to use a supertuned Shimano Conquest 101 with 65lb Sufix Performance Braid.

Doc

evergreener
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by evergreener » Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:06 am

seems like 200+ size BC reel is almost a basic requirement for swimbaits. I am guessing it is due to the line used and capacity needed? :!:

e_bassfisher
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by e_bassfisher » Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:44 pm

Z2020! hands down....best reel i have EVER used. will handle light to regular wt bass stuff, as well as the heavy artillery!

DrPerf
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by DrPerf » Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:35 pm

e_bassfisher wrote:Z2020! hands down....best reel i have EVER used. will handle light to regular wt bass stuff, as well as the heavy artillery!
Ian, stop that! =;
Since it is now in a LH version, it becoming very difficult to not purchase that reel :not talking: :big grin:

Doc

cjtoad
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by cjtoad » Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:20 pm

I'm using a Luna 253 for large swimbaits and an a CV-Z 203 for smaller stuff. For flippin and punchin I'm using a Revo Premier, but I'd like to switch to a supertuned Daiwa of some sort.

GARRIGA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GARRIGA » Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:52 am

Why would you need a super tuned anything for punching? Seems like you're tossing 1-2 oz baits less then 30 feet into heavy matted grass. I always thought the super tuning was for the lighter stuff.

DrPerf
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by DrPerf » Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:23 pm

GARRIGA wrote:Why would you need a super tuned anything for punching? Seems like you're tossing 1-2 oz baits less then 30 feet into heavy matted grass. I always thought the super tuning was for the lighter stuff.
Supertuning is not specific to a "lighter stuff". Easier casting, pitching, smoother and more consistent retrieve under load, etc. are all potential benefits of supertuning, which will have some positive impact on all techniques.

Doc

GARRIGA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GARRIGA » Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:39 pm

DrPerf wrote:
GARRIGA wrote:Why would you need a super tuned anything for punching? Seems like you're tossing 1-2 oz baits less then 30 feet into heavy matted grass. I always thought the super tuning was for the lighter stuff.
Supertuning is not specific to a "lighter stuff". Easier casting, pitching, smoother and more consistent retrieve under load, etc. are all potential benefits of supertuning, which will have some positive impact on all techniques.

Doc
Wasn't aware of that. Thanks.