Calling all reel painters

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Calling all reel painters

Post by goldrod » Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:43 am

what is the difference in using spray paint to paint a reel as opposed to what you use( what do you use)?

I have a reel that I want to try and paint myself.. what type of prep do you reccommend.. and how about drying it?
tda advantage..is the reel.. just something to practice on..
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Calling all reel painters

Post by goldrod » Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:37 pm

bump
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

Pmedicbm
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Pmedicbm » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:15 am

I'm def not a reel painter, but seeing that nobody has replied yet thought I'd take a stab at it.. Spray paint probably would work, but... It'd be a lot like spray painting the bumper or fender of your car... It's just not going to look the way you probably invision it..? I know that most of the top tier painters use the higher quality auto paint and those who do it well have a real knack for painting.. It's not a task I'd try myself, but it can be done.. There a some reel/lure painting boards on a couple of the other sites where you can find some very useful info and help if needed... PM me if you don't know where I'm talking about.. If your looking to have someone paint it there are several guys lurking around here who can help you out with both breakdown, painting and reassembly.. Calfish is one in particular who's work is displayed around these parts the most... Good luck and post some pics of your before and afters once you get it done.... :)
Pmedicbm

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:41 am

Thanks to all that replied or IM'd me

I have decided that I will sand down the reel by hand.. and when done get all the impurities out, prime and spray paint and just let it dry.. I will see what happens and if it doesn't work out ( which I think it will be at least par) the way I invision it ( which is par) then I will tell the wifee... :mrgreen:

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:04 pm

Okay..
this is my progress.. like I may have mentioned the reel is a tda advantage 153 hst.
I started hand sanding with fine grit.. that was taking too long for me BUT produced the best results. After doing the (plastic ) side plate I went to the handle side plate (metal).. that was a chore so I got a stripper to do it.. I did the trick but I happen to notice the nice aluminum finish and I am hesitating painting it.. I am thinking about buffing or rather polishing it... the only problem with that is.............the other side plate is plastic..

What do you think.....?

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:48 am

okay...
LET ME save YOU the heart ache....
I sanded the reel/// everything was good.. then I primed it initially and all was well until I tried this funky color and EVERYthing went to crap.. just didn't like what I had.. I loved just the primed reel to be frank but had considered polishing the frame until I thought about how hot it gets down here..

Biggest mistake... I brought this paint removing mack truck in a spray can. garuanteed to take the bark off of a oak tree.. I sprayed the reel thinking I would save some time and ended up having to asap the reel to the kitchen sink to stop the stuff from eating the reel. yes even the metal.. ( says it on the can)

Now I am back to square one just trying to get the primer on and may leave it at that..
Attachments
DSC00074.JPG
DSC00074.JPG (38.65 KiB) Viewed 6005 times

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:55 am

I had to cut a paper towel roll and slide it in the middle..

I am in uncharted waters. but its a learning experience i guess.
Attachments
DSC00073.JPG
DSC00073.JPG (32.72 KiB) Viewed 6004 times

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:02 am

forgot this one.. pic
Attachments
DSC00072.JPG
DSC00072.JPG (30.29 KiB) Viewed 6004 times

Bassboss
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Bassboss » Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:37 am

looks like a learning experienced to me! lol.

Thanks for sharing, hope all goes well.

Smalleyez
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Smalleyez » Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:26 am

Yer still in the game. I'd mix in a flat black with your primer and call it good. I'd like to have that done to my Fuego. :-$
RRR (Round Reels Rule!)

BB144
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by BB144 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:21 am

While not as good as a higher quality auto paint, you can get auto touch up paint in a spray can. It will probably be better than your average Wal-Mart spray paint.

If there's one place NOT to cut corners, it's in the prep. If the prep job sucks, the paint job will, no matter how good of paint you use.
cabinfeverlures.webs.com
fb.com/CabinFeverLures

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:56 am

Well there is room for process improvement i am quite pleased.
reel is functional , and the black front piece matches the thumb bar ( pure mistake )
Attachments
DSC00078.JPG
DSC00078.JPG (35.54 KiB) Viewed 5914 times
DSC00076.JPG
DSC00076.JPG (24.87 KiB) Viewed 5914 times

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:39 am

The color of the reel is camo green..
I was a great experience and I wouldn't trade it for nothing.. especially getting the reel back together and seeing how everything works together.
In hindsight I would encourage everyone to do this to a reel that they don't really care for. It might lead to an invention. Who would have thought that a paper towel roll would fit inside the frame where the spool goes? I would not have..

white03
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by white03 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:03 pm

let's see some pics of reels that have been painted, and tell who painted them for you. =D>

Elpablo
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Elpablo » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:26 pm

Nice work =D> , thanks for share your experience :D
ADS Fishing Concept. Fishing tour operator for South America.