Abu 4600, how easy?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Basswrangler
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Abu 4600, how easy?

Post by Basswrangler » Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:02 pm

Ok I am looking for a reel to throw light plastics. Then why the heck am I asking about an Abu round reel you ask? Well heres why, I just bought a revo premier 11' not too long ago and I really like the reel, but it's just to dang small. Right about now I am sure most readers are thinking I'm completely crazy, but I actually prefer a little bit bigger reel. About half the fishing I do is musky and I just can't go from the profile of a large powerful reel to the premier. It's just too petite and lacks power imo, especially with the tiny handle their throwing on premiers.

ok that being said I found this:
http://www.hookless.com/index.html
http://www.hookless.com/images/black_bass.jpg

I have a few questions though as I am pretty unfamiliar with Abu round reels.
-what kind of brakes does this thing have?
-line cap?
-how difficult are weightless plastics going to be (using OS bearings)

I am no stranger to using my thumb as I use most of my reels with very limited brakes engaged, but just how difficult would this be? It is even worth pursuing?

Stephan Bohm
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Abu 4600, how easy?

Post by Stephan Bohm » Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:34 pm

My first bass reel was an old 4500 C3 and it worked well enough for slinging around cranks, spinnerbaits, and worms. Line capacity is relativly high, brakes appear centrifugal(2 on older models, 6 on new ones) with most of the adustment coming from the tension adjustment. After market magnetic brakes are also availible (touchy in my experience).You obviously have experience with your thumb and it will perform well in good hands, but there are alternatives. The calcutta 200 GTB is a good option, as is the TD Luna 103. The old shimano Curado D has a pretty large frame (it fit my 6'8" uncle's hands perfectly) and is still fairly common. If you don't like the handle on the premier I can't imagine you could tolerate the handles on the reel you're looking at. Still, you can't go wrong with Abu and that upgraded version should work just fine for weightless plastics and small jigs. Good luck!

OkobojiEagle
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by OkobojiEagle » Sun May 01, 2011 1:58 am

I've fished a 4601 with the bearing mods you've indicated for several years. There are a lot of things i like this reel for, but throwing very light baits is not one of them. I find there is too much spool inertia to effectivly throw light baits. Paying the listed price for those mods seems pretty steep for something that is easily done by yourself. That series of Abu reels is very easy to maintain.

oe

strathy
Angler
Angler

Post by strathy » Sun May 01, 2011 8:58 am

Best casting stock round Abu is the Record 40, only available in RHW in the US I think, but even that will struggle to give you good distance with weightless plastics.
My 2010 Premiers outcast my mates Record 40 by a country mile. Same line, rod and lure.

Basswrangler
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Basswrangler » Sun May 01, 2011 1:24 pm

thanks for the replies guys, I figured the spool inertia might be high with all that line and I guess it is. How about the calcutta 100 GT or even the Calcutta 50. If those won't work I guess I'll have to buy a low-pro.

Stephan Bohm
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Stephan Bohm » Tue May 03, 2011 2:31 am

The 100 GT would probably be your best bet if you don't want to go DC. The calcutta 50 is about the same size as most low profile reels and you would be let down by it's lack of power. Check out some of the TT reviews on the calcuttas before you commit but the 100 GT is probably what you are looking for.

taylor5877
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by taylor5877 » Tue May 03, 2011 3:26 pm

I throw trick worms all the time on a 4601C. They do better on my modified 4600C"6" though.

Upgrading a stock 4600C is a piece of cake. The reel plus about $45 if you do the work yourself and you have a great little reel. The C4 has a 6.3:1 ratio and brings in the same amount of line per handle turn as most 7:1 reels. Pretty cool if you ask me.