Shimano Calais DC

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Bass Oreno
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Shimano Calais DC

Post by Bass Oreno » Thu May 05, 2011 11:21 am

I check tu buy a Calais DC, but i already have a Core 101.I think is a liitle tip heavy and it's a 5 years old reel.Did Shimano will make a new one for 2011 or 2012 ? The Calais is it really better than the Core ?

jeb
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Shimano Calais DC

Post by jeb » Thu May 05, 2011 1:15 pm

Good question on if/when Shimano might update the Calais DC. But I've heard no solid rumors of it happening anytime soon. There are some lighter DC models, but they don't have the 8x4 system the Calais does. So they do not give you the range of adjustment.

As far as better than the core, it depends on what you define as better. I have the DC and a Core 50. The DC is much heavier and obviously bigger in my hand. Plus the chrome finish is cold on cool days. But it's an awesome reel. Big wind, light lures, whatever. It'll get the job done better than any other reel I own (steez, premiers, curado) with no fuss. It's a very, very versatile reel. Much more so than my core. The DC is a fun reel to own and use.

lpquick
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by lpquick » Fri May 06, 2011 2:32 pm

jeb wrote:Good question on if/when Shimano might update the Calais DC. But I've heard no solid rumors of it happening anytime soon. There are some lighter DC models, but they don't have the 8x4 system the Calais does. So they do not give you the range of adjustment.

As far as better than the core, it depends on what you define as better. I have the DC and a Core 50. The DC is much heavier and obviously bigger in my hand. Plus the chrome finish is cold on cool days. But it's an awesome reel. Big wind, light lures, whatever. It'll get the job done better than any other reel I own (steez, premiers, curado) with no fuss. It's a very, very versatile reel. Much more so than my core. The DC is a fun reel to own and use.
2nd that! Except I recently bought new toys Calcutta TE 201DC and Conquest 51. My favorite has shifted to the Calcutta It's hard to believe but it's smoother than my Calais 201DC.
Calcutta TEC201DC - Livre Aventura handle.jpg
Livre Aventura Handle Calcutta TEC201DC.jpg
Calais 201DC.jpg
Calais 201DC on top.jpg
:evil22:
Rods & Reels Excite me!

PaBass75
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by PaBass75 » Sat May 07, 2011 4:29 am

lpquick wrote:
jeb wrote:Good question on if/when Shimano might update the Calais DC. But I've heard no solid rumors of it happening anytime soon. There are some lighter DC models, but they don't have the 8x4 system the Calais does. So they do not give you the range of adjustment.

2nd that! Except I recently bought new toys Calcutta TE 201DC and Conquest 51. My favorite has shifted to the Calcutta It's hard to believe but it's smoother than my Calais 201DC.
Calcutta TEC201DC - Livre Aventura handle.jpg
Livre Aventura Handle Calcutta TEC201DC.jpg
Calais 201DC.jpg
Calais 201DC on top.jpg
:evil22:
The Calcutta has me drooling.. =P~
Fine piece of machinery there.
The pic of the Calais tho.. Damn that's sexy! :big grin:

jrk
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jrk » Sun May 15, 2011 3:08 am

lpquick,
I own the Calais DC 200 as well as the Calcutta te gt 200. What I've come to realize is that if I had a Calcutta with the DC braking, it'd be my perfect reel. My question to you is, do you feel the Calcutta DC you own is less flexible with it lacking the Calais's 4X8 DC system?

Appreciate the info and time,
Randy

lpquick
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by lpquick » Sun May 15, 2011 3:42 am

jrk wrote:lpquick,
I own the Calais DC 200 as well as the Calcutta te gt 200. What I've come to realize is that if I had a Calcutta with the DC braking, it'd be my perfect reel. My question to you is, do you feel the Calcutta DC you own is less flexible with it lacking the Calais's 4X8 DC system?

Appreciate the info and time,
Randy
Randy the Calcutta DC is my perfect big reel workhorse. It lacks nothing compared to my Calais DC. I wouldn't trade it for anything on the planet. The gearing gives me what I want when I want it. I love popping and dragging the bottom with my Calcutta and swimming soft plastics with my Calais. They are a class act and highly potent arsenal for me. I hope I answered your question.
Lon
Rods & Reels Excite me!

jrk
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jrk » Sun May 15, 2011 3:49 am

Thanks for the fast reply Lon. I'm thinking of trading/selling my Calcutta for the DC variant. Yes, you answered my question...which was whether the older DC system worked as well as the newer 4X8 in the Calais...

phatbass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by phatbass » Sun May 15, 2011 5:55 am

keep in mind the calcutta dc does not have the wind feature like the calais dc which puts it into a hole new class. I owned just about every reel on the market and no other reel can cast into the wind like this can.

Choupique
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Choupique » Thu May 19, 2011 11:12 am

You can also get the 4x8 DC+ version of the calcutta from Japan. Its about $150 more though.

Smalleyez
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Smalleyez » Thu May 19, 2011 12:57 pm

All this DC talk is leading to less money in my account at some point. :(

That 100DC has always received high praise. The ultimate round reel and probably in the top handful of reels of all time.

Next year! O:)
RRR (Round Reels Rule!)

Smalleyez
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Smalleyez » Thu May 19, 2011 12:58 pm

...I'll add that I don't know anything about the Calais, but I'm sure it's very nice!
RRR (Round Reels Rule!)

Smalleyez
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Smalleyez » Thu May 19, 2011 1:00 pm

one more thing!

That handle on that Calcutta above is just freakin' awsome! =D>
RRR (Round Reels Rule!)

rubs96
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by rubs96 » Wed May 25, 2011 9:50 am

phatbass wrote:keep in mind the calcutta dc does not have the wind feature like the calais dc which puts it into a hole new class. I owned just about every reel on the market and no other reel can cast into the wind like this can.
And the ability to make short, accurate pitches lol. I have both the Calcutta TE200DC and the Calais 200DC and both are amazing!

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Sat May 28, 2011 5:30 pm

I have a Calais DC7 on a Shimano Cumara CUCX711MH that I use for lipless cranks with braid in the grass certain times of the year. I can cover A LOT of water with this combo as that Calais will absolutely launch a lipless crank. When that bite is over, that same combo goes to launching paddletails and buzzbaits around grass most often where also excels. I really doubt we'll see a new Calais this year, but even if an updated version does eventually come along, it won't detract from the epic performance of the current model.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

Denis87
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Denis87 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:11 pm

What is difference between Calais dc and antares dc. I know that antares a little bit lighter, but what else? What is better?