Pre-ICAST spy photo!!!

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Pre-ICAST spy photo!!!

Post by Cal » Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:29 am

STEEZMAN2 wrote:Thanks Cal. If it did come in at that weight it would have been enough for me to get over the gold accents and the silver knob ends.
Once you fill it with line, it will hardly be noticeable ... stick it on a rod with gold trim and it'll look even better. Anyone still have the previous generation St. Croix Legend Elite? The Z200H will look SWEET paired up with that blank. ;)
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

STEEZMAN2
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by STEEZMAN2 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:34 am

I think RelineRobert may have to put one on his horney toad rod. :big grin:
Where the hell have you been anyways Robert??

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:36 am

Are you kidding me? The Z200 does not have ENOUGH bling for Redline Robert! ;)
Cal, Managing Editor

STEEZMAN2
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by STEEZMAN2 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:37 am

Forgot to confirm...do both gear ratios of the Z have the same cosmetics??

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:46 am

STEEZMAN2 wrote:Forgot to confirm...do both gear ratios of the Z have the same cosmetics??
Actually no.. the HS has red highlights.
Cal, Managing Editor

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Tokugawa » Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:49 am

Cal wrote:
Tokugawa wrote:If that Z weighs 7.4 oz...I'm so stoked! \:D/ \:D/ :drool: :silly:
STEEZMAN2 wrote:Cal did not chime in on the Zaion question? :-k

And a spec sheet was not included in the "review/sneak peak". Double :-k
The Z200 reels are not made of Zaion. There was a typo in Hi's Tackle Box's listing. They are spec'd at 9.9 oz.
Well...9.9 is not bad. Less than a Toro and a Curado E.

I have the perfect rod in mind for it. =P~ =P~

Speckled
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Speckled » Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:54 am

Cal wrote:
Tokugawa wrote:If that Z weighs 7.4 oz...I'm so stoked! \:D/ \:D/ :drool: :silly:
STEEZMAN2 wrote:Cal did not chime in on the Zaion question? :-k

And a spec sheet was not included in the "review/sneak peak". Double :-k
The Z200 reels are not made of Zaion.There was a typo in Hi's Tackle Box's listing . They are spec'd at 9.9 oz.
Well darn it ](*,) . I was getting excited for a moment :lol: [-( [-X .

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ScoobyDoo » Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:37 pm

What makes the z so special that its the same price as a Tiagra 50 wide long range special????

I mean that 3d brake system is nothing special. Its not made of some rare material from an asteroid or something....so what's so special???

FKA Incognito
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by FKA Incognito » Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:59 pm

ScoobyDoo wrote:What makes the z so special that its the same price as a Tiagra 50 wide long range special????

I mean that 3d brake system is nothing special. Its not made of some rare material from an asteroid or something....so what's so special???
Well, I suppose you could say the same of DC technology which, unless I'm mistaken, is based on electromagnetism and silicone chips. Given that 3D is new and supposed to achieve similar versatility as DC braking...

Buck2thPerch
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Buck2thPerch » Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:05 pm

CAL, I just read the quick blurb you guys had on the Pixy-R and Z200H. From my sources, the Pixy-R should have 13.2lbs of Drag Stock. You guys listed it at 8.8lbs. I highly doubt my source is wrong. I am guessing you guys are too busy to really test this yet. But please elaborate if you can.
Marine General Staff - Duluth MN
**What is fishing?**

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:48 pm

Buck2thPerch wrote:CAL, I just read the quick blurb you guys had on the Pixy-R and Z200H. From my sources, the Pixy-R should have 13.2lbs of Drag Stock. You guys listed it at 8.8lbs. I highly doubt my source is wrong. I am guessing you guys are too busy to really test this yet. But please elaborate if you can.
Those numbers are off of the factory specification on the JDM model. We took those numbers because we didn't have the official spec on this reel yet, and the drag material did not appear to be different enough to warrant a test prior to the preview article.

Our JDM Pix PX68 tested at 9.5lbs.

I caught your note just before leaving the lab, so I took the liberty of spooling up the PX L Type-R and threw it on our drag machine. 5lbs maximum pressure is what this reel delivered.
Cal, Managing Editor

sdfd504
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by sdfd504 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:41 pm

The new UDSM Pixy R has a listed drag of 13.0lb rated drag on it.
Blake Smith
Daiwa Reels, BassCat Boats

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zodiak311 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:19 pm

I am ecstatic to finally have a US Pixy, bling or no bling. The performance will be off the hook, and I am already saving up, and waiting for a Black Friday sales to pounce all over a RH and LH version(s) of the reel. :big grin: =P~

But like a previous poster said... what rod to pair it with??? May have to go custom on this one... :-k Toku's custom rod for his Pixy wouldn't be too bad... :big grin:
Get your kids hooked on fishing, and they'll never have any money for drugs or alcohol.

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ScoobyDoo » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:04 pm

FKA Incognito wrote:
ScoobyDoo wrote:What makes the z so special that its the same price as a Tiagra 50 wide long range special????

Well, I suppose you could say the same of DC technology which, unless I'm mistaken, is based on electromagnetism and silicone chips. Given that 3D is new and supposed to achieve similar versatility as DC braking...

I have to disagree. And I also want to clarify my original comment in regards to the material its made from. As I was directing that to its frame material being aluminum.

The part that I disagree with is The dc brake functions differently than any of the other three types. As there is no braking at all in the beginning of the cast. Which is why it performs so well hitting better distance numbers. And at the same time is more accurate at mid to long range as there no swing on sidearm casts. Which with the others you will get a left to right fade. But the dc can get squirrely up close as you are in pretty much freespool.

If all this 3 d setting does is move the magnets closer at 3 preset distances. And then let you fine tune it from there it's a complete waste of money. At least if thats what the price jump is for.

Perfect example. I knobby magged a Avet. In free spool the spool is closer to the mags so I can adjust it and have a higher top end and low end of braking. Bump the lever drag to bait and the spool pulls slightly to the handle side. Now both the high and low setting are drastically reduced and can throw even further. Sounds like to me this is all they have done. Which unless you don't know how to cast a revolving spool reel is completely unnecessary. As with any mag v and z reel the highest mag setting is a breeze to throw in even the nastiest of headwinds. And the lightest is all off. Not sure what the need is for a fine tuning of the braking adjustment other than marketing??!!

Carlos Carrapiço
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Carlos Carrapiço » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:09 am

ScoobyDoo wrote:
FKA Incognito wrote:

I have to disagree. And I also want to clarify my original comment in regards to the material its made from. As I was directing that to its frame material being aluminum.

The part that I disagree with is The dc brake functions differently than any of the other three types. As there is no braking at all in the beginning of the cast. Which is why it performs so well hitting better distance numbers. And at the same time is more accurate at mid to long range as there no swing on sidearm casts. Which with the others you will get a left to right fade. But the dc can get squirrely up close as you are in pretty much freespool.

If all this 3 d setting does is move the magnets closer at 3 preset distances. And then let you fine tune it from there it's a complete waste of money. At least if thats what the price jump is for.

Perfect example. I knobby magged a Avet. In free spool the spool is closer to the mags so I can adjust it and have a higher top end and low end of braking. Bump the lever drag to bait and the spool pulls slightly to the handle side. Now both the high and low setting are drastically reduced and can throw even further. Sounds like to me this is all they have done. Which unless you don't know how to cast a revolving spool reel is completely unnecessary. As with any mag v and z reel the highest mag setting is a breeze to throw in even the nastiest of headwinds. And the lightest is all off. Not sure what the need is for a fine tuning of the braking adjustment other than marketing??!!

Before posting about the 3D braking system, you need to understand the hole concept of the Mag-V/Z.
Look here: http://www.japantackle.com/Topics/brake_system.htm read twice. :big grin:
After, if you still have questions about Mag-V/Z and Mag 3D I will be here to answer.
After reading the info on the link, the following statement will look a Cliché: "The dc brake functions differently than any of the other three types. As there is no braking at all in the beginning of the cast."
Daiwa braking mechanisms have been doing this for so long that everyone by now takes it for granted.
There is nothing new of the DC brakes except that they use electronics. More, it seems that they are still far from perfection as you mentioned.

Concerning the price, probably it cost 5$ to make the hole brake system but the price of the design, technology and performance is much higher. Its the same for the DC.