Reel designers

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Speckled
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Reel designers

Post by Speckled » Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:20 am

SLM wrote:
Speckled wrote:I never thought of the Chronarch 50MG as a true Chronarch :shock:
Me neither--but it's become a favorite of mine. :D
Mine too ;) . Well, the Scorpion 1000MG that is :lol: .

When this reel came out, the USDM Curado and the JDM Scorpion were made on the same platform. When the Scorpion 1000MG came out, later when it came time for ICAST you knew that Shimano USA was going to release the USDM model and I keep thinking it was going to be called the Curado 100MG (That's what it was really ;) ).

At the same time the Chronarch USDM models matched up with the JDM Metaniums.

I hated the fact that Shimano called the 50MG a Chronarch at all ](*,) . It was a "Souped up Curado" with an MG frame ;) . Great real =D> . Not a Chronarch.

Chronarch's were always smoother than any Curado model. ALWAYS...

bstuckey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by bstuckey » Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:52 am

bronzefly wrote:Look on the bright side Wisconsin, there certainly should be a lot of cheese being sold with all the "whine" going around lately. It's just plain ridiculous reading all these posts bitching about what was or wasn't released. Same thing year after year... Sure, there are things I'd have liked to have seen made and released, but does it make me feel any better to b*tch about it? Nope. There are plenty of amazing products out there, past and present, from which to build a stellar arsenal of rods and reels.
Nicely stated! =D> =D> =D>

cjtoad
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by cjtoad » Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:01 am

5bites wrote:If we can't discuss what we woulda liked or shoulda been done or how bad so and so screwed up then we might as well lock this site down. I for one don't mind "b!tching" about things from time to time and I bet others don't either. I especially don't mind over silly crap like what Shimano did. Yes I believe I could brew up some popular fishing equipment. I make my own rods and jigs for this reason. Nobody makes them like I want. So let's close the doors on this site or call it http://www.shimano.com/tackletour/edito ... matterwhat
Right on!!!

blakjack23
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by blakjack23 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:01 am

Tokugawa wrote:What's worse? Complaining about new reel releases or complaining about those who complain about new reel releases? :roll:

Pot...kettle...black...

This thread is close to being shut down. [-X
I would say complaining about complaining is worse. :roll:

This site wouldn't exist without the criticizing (bitching) and praising of tackle. We come here to hear the good AND the bad.

PainInTheBass
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by PainInTheBass » Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:28 am

True true. The bad, if the complaints are consistent, provides some indicator for me of something I should keep an eye on for a potential issue. It is another data point from which I can forumlate my own opinion and comes to my own decisions. If all we heard were the rave reviews, then everything would be just as good as the other. I like hearing well thought out reviews or criticisms or concerns.
My fishing antics @ paininthebass.blogspot.com

tj1004
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by tj1004 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:21 am

blakjack, I dont care which type of bitching you think is worse.

I dont have a problem when complaints occur about something that people know something about. Everyone is crying about reels that they havent held or used. Dogging them right out of the gate is pointless. Speculation means nothing. Everyone is still taking these changes personally, my whole point is that everyone needs to get over it. Change happens. No one whines about the Escalade sharing a platform with a Tahoe. Shimano isnt trying to pull the wool over anyones eyes. Its not like it is a secret that the reels are sharing previous platforms, they arent denying it or trying to hide it.

Its easy, if you dont like a reel, you can come here and talk about it. Just like if I dont like a post, I can come here and talk about it. I never once said that people have to like everything.

Again, I could give two poops about who likes what. It is the assumption and speculation crap, people trying to read WAAAYYY to far into things, and everyone thinking that they have better ideas than the big three that aggravates me.

Good day

blakjack23
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by blakjack23 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:39 am

I didn't assume you cared.
tj1004 wrote:No one whines about the Escalade sharing a platform with a Tahoe. This is the exact same thing.
That actually isn't the exact same thing. Sharing platforms is fine, obviously the 50MG7 shared it with the 50E, and others shared platforms as well, without any whining. If Chevy tried to put a new grill on a Blazer and call it the new Tahoe and get rid of the Tahoe altogether, then people would whine too. That would be the correct comparison here.

As a business decision Shimano's move makes sense to me. They do well in the lower priced market and will probably continue to do well with the average angler who buys one or two low/mid priced reels a year and doesn't know the reels were just "re-aligned". Shimano just kind of took a step back at the enthusiast level, but I'm sure they will come out with something higher end soon to fill that higher price gap.

breezy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by breezy » Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:53 am

blakjack23 wrote: As a business decision Shimano's move makes sense to me. They do well in the lower priced market and will probably continue to do well with the average angler who buys one or two low/mid priced reels a year and doesn't know the reels were just "re-aligned". Shimano just kind of took a step back at the enthusiast level, but I'm sure they will come out with something higher end soon to fill that higher price gap.
I agree, it's probably a great move for Shimano as a business. Modular components and design reduces cost, and now they have their 3 most popular reels in the under $200 category where they're already the #1 choice for most "average anglers". I don't quite understand the pricing though: Citica $130, Curado $160, Chronarch $200. A $30 difference between a Citica and a Curado? :-k The gap between chronarch and core definitely makes you wonder what's going on. Like you, I would assume there's a new reel on the way to fill in the gap. Or maybe they will paint the new chronarch black and label it as the core :lol:

Although it doesn't look like much for enthusiasts to be excited about I'll reserve judgment until I use the reels or see some reviews. Personally, I was not a fan of either the Citica or Curado E series...there was just a "hollow" feeling to them that made the reel feel cheap. The good news is a Curado is now $30 cheaper, the bad news is the Chronarch will probably feel similar.

ecu daniel 14
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by ecu daniel 14 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:17 pm

gah...i get off work and this is the first thing i see... :doh:

soo many things to say...

im just going to shut up now.. [-(
stress-what happens between fishing trips

mundo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by mundo » Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:40 pm

blakjack23 wrote:I didn't assume you cared.
tj1004 wrote:No one whines about the Escalade sharing a platform with a Tahoe. This is the exact same thing.
That actually isn't the exact same thing. Sharing platforms is fine, obviously the 50MG7 shared it with the 50E, and others shared platforms as well, without any whining. If Chevy tried to put a new grill on a Blazer and call it the new Tahoe and get rid of the Tahoe altogether, then people would whine too. That would be the correct comparison here.

As a business decision Shimano's move makes sense to me. They do well in the lower priced market and will probably continue to do well with the average angler who buys one or two low/mid priced reels a year and doesn't know the reels were just "re-aligned". Shimano just kind of took a step back at the enthusiast level, but I'm sure they will come out with something higher end soon to fill that higher price gap.

I totally agree with blackjack.

I know we are not an easy crowd to please, but we are certainly more informed than the average guy, Are we reel designers? No. Are we fishing tackle marketing managers? No. What we are are customers and as such we have a legitimate right to voice our opinions, that is what this forum is all about.

Last year it was Daiwa who was critiziced for not bringing over any of the latest and greatest reels and only presenting a low-medium class reel, this year they did certainly bring the high end stuff (at a high price).

What Shimano did is totally understandable and it is driven by bean counters: re-brand a reel and charge more for it and improve on an entry level reel and call it the Curado, their bread and butter. The "true" chronarch will be missed, but it is a reel that was developed for the US market any way (no JDM counterpart).I was hoping to see the new generation of Calcutta DC, Scorpion DC (Call it the chronarch if you want) or the metanium DC but all that I am seeing is a way to charge more for the same product without calling it a price increase (wise marketing move).

Time will tell which company is right on its approach.

Mundo

GARRIGA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GARRIGA » Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:33 am

Brand loyalty is big and even specific components within a brand is bigger. Die hard Curado owners won't be impressed having to now fish a Chronardo to get the same performance for $20 bucks more although they do get new gears and lefty set. What do guys think the Chronarch guys are going to feel. They now have to lower themselves to get something not made of MG.

What would the outrage be if Ford rebranded the Ranger the new F-150 for 2012 and didn't have a real F-150? I'm guessing most of the posts would have so much profanity they'd be deleted by the mods. ](*,)

SLM
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SLM » Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:05 am

GARRIGA wrote:What would the outrage be if Ford rebranded the Ranger the new F-150 for 2012 and didn't have a real F-150?
There actually was no outrage when Ford branded their then-new compact as a Ranger. The Ranger was a full size truck for a very long time.

GARRIGA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GARRIGA » Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:45 am

SLM wrote:
GARRIGA wrote:What would the outrage be if Ford rebranded the Ranger the new F-150 for 2012 and didn't have a real F-150?
There actually was no outrage when Ford branded their then-new compact as a Ranger. The Ranger was a full size truck for a very long time.
What replaced the full size Ranger and what is going to replace the Chronarch? Perhaps the aluminum Core will be badge a Core and we will have Core and Core MG. That would make sense to me and the Curado Die Hards will just have to fish a Chronarch.

mundo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by mundo » Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:05 am

GARRIGA wrote:
SLM wrote:
What replaced the full size Ranger and what is going to replace the Chronarch? Perhaps the aluminum Core will be badge a Core and we will have Core and Core MG. That would make sense to me and the Curado Die Hards will just have to fish a Chronarch.

The Chronarch D was in fact an aluminum version of the Core. The generation before that had the Chronarch made of aluminum and also the Chronarch MG, when the previous generation Chronarch D was released, instead of labeling the MG version a Chronarch MG it was called a Core (Metanium mg in Japan).

GARRIGA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GARRIGA » Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:42 am

mundo wrote:
GARRIGA wrote:
SLM wrote:

The Chronarch D was in fact an aluminum version of the Core. The generation before that had the Chronarch made of aluminum and also the Chronarch MG, when the previous generation Chronarch D was released, instead of labeling the MG version a Chronarch MG it was called a Core (Metanium mg in Japan).
I know the Chronarch is the aluminum version of the Core MG. That's my point, if the new Corado is now branded the old Chronarch then what is the aluminum version of the Core?