Reel designers

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Carlos Carrapiço
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Reel designers

Post by Carlos Carrapiço » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:20 am

taylor5877 wrote:I'm VERY interested in how objective Tackletour is in their upcoming reviews of the Chronarch and Curado...

I don't really want to take it any further than that...
X1

Buck2thPerch
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Buck2thPerch » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:51 am

tj1004 wrote:No one whines about the Escalade sharing a platform with a Tahoe.
Absolutely Correct. But you got it wrong. The Escalade has better suspension and is a decked out luxury vehicle. Chronarch E....is your Tahoe equipped with minor luxury ammenaties. Chronarch E is not an Escalade anymore. There is a difference. A good example would be to have this new Chronarch E be made of magnesium and or have DC (basically a USDM Scorpion XT1000 DC). If Shimano did this, I am pretty sure you would hear less whining and b!tching. Instead, Shimano went backwards with quality.
tj1004 wrote:Shimano isnt trying to pull the wool over anyones eyes.

Perhaps to the average "Joe". We TT Forum Members are not as il-informed and care what we put in our hands. We demand the best. Especially our hard earned money that purchases and supplements tools for our fishing hobby needs. So, damn right, I am going to complain about a $200 item that on paper is subpar.
tj1004 wrote:Its easy, if you dont like a reel, you can come here and talk about it. Just like if I dont like a post, I can come here and talk about it. I never once said that people have to like everything.

Fixed it. Same difference:
tj1004 wrote:Its easy, if you dont like a reel, you can come here and whine about it. Just like if I dont like a post, I can come here and whine about it. I never once said that people have to like everything.

tj1004 wrote:trying to read WAAAYYY to far into things, and everyone thinking that they have better ideas than the big three that aggravates me.

We do have better ideas and usually those ideas are for us fishermen making our tackle better. The big three's ideas revolve around "PROFIT". That is the "BIG" difference.

TT Forums is the place to whine, b!tch, praise, etc., about any one tackle from any manufacturer. Without all these opinions and insights, we would all be the average fisherman "Joe". This is what sets us ethusiasts apart from the rest of the fisherman. Again we demand the best and will fork up our hard earned money for it. And as others have stated, Shimano did this as a marketing ploy. Shimano didn't care if we ethusiasts can see right through them. Shimano knows thier "Name" alone will sell and move these new reels. Its all about $$$ in the end.

Nothing aginst you TJ...I understand your point in posting this thread and I wasn't going to chime in whe I originally saw it but I had to add my 2cents. Now if you were frustrated and felt the same way about our wives, girlfriends, significant others, complaining/whining about our fishing tackle and fishing.....I'd agree with you 100%!!

Where's my wife beater...err I mean ugly stick with a zebco spincast!!????!!! :big grin:
Marine General Staff - Duluth MN
**What is fishing?**

KDAB
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by KDAB » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:09 pm

Buck2thPerch wrote:
tj1004 wrote:Shimano isnt trying to pull the wool over anyones eyes.

Perhaps to the average "Joe". We TT Forum Members are not as il-informed and care what we put in our hands. We demand the best. Especially our hard earned money that purchases and supplements tools for our fishing hobby needs. So, damn right, I am going to complain about a $200 item that on paper is subpar.
I'm an 'avereage Joe' bass fisherman, I care what I put in my hands. Every 'average' bass fisherman does. The name on reel or rod means nothing to me, the rod locker in my boat is full of all different brands that do the job they need to. I know the difference between quality and junk and you don't have to have 565334355 posts on TT to know that. Now onto my point...

A Curado 50E was $200 right? Many people loved those reels, claiming they were the best out there for the money.

The new* Chronarch 50, which many say is exactly the same reel as the previous Curado, is $200.

I know the name change thing sucks...but come on, how is the new reel sub-par?! It would only be sub-par if this new* Chronarch remained at $300 ](*,)

The new reel supposedly has some new features too, so I would argue that it's possibly an even better value....

ecu daniel 14
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by ecu daniel 14 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:12 pm

it is sub par when comparing the new chronarch to the old chronarch.......thats basically the point everyone is trying to make....?
stress-what happens between fishing trips

KDAB
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by KDAB » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:22 pm

I get that Chronarch loyalists might be pissed, but the name on a reel does nothing. In fact its probably completely covered up in your hand when fishing....

Price vs performance there's absolutely no way you can call it sub-par. In a world where $600+ reels are justifiable to some, just be thankful they didn't leave the MSRP at $300....

ecu daniel 14
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by ecu daniel 14 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:45 pm

I am willing to bet millions of dollars that the new chronarch's performance is sub par when compared to the old one....

KDAB
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by KDAB » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:49 pm

ecu daniel 14 wrote:I am willing to bet millions of dollars that the new chronarch's performance is sub par when compared to the old one....
Duh, it's not the same reel....that's not the point. It's not sub-par for a $200 reel. Things change, deal with it.

I'm willing to bet millions of dollars that if it had no name on it and you paid $200 for it, you would not think you were ripped off.

ecu daniel 14
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by ecu daniel 14 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:14 pm

I wouldnt pay $200 for a reel if I diddnt know anything about it :big grin:

Buck2thPerch
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Buck2thPerch » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:52 pm

KDAB wrote:
ecu daniel 14 wrote:I am willing to bet millions of dollars that the new chronarch's performance is sub par when compared to the old one....
Duh, it's not the same reel....that's not the point. It's not sub-par for a $200 reel. Things change, deal with it.

I'm willing to bet millions of dollars that if it had no name on it and you paid $200 for it, you would not think you were ripped off.
The whole point why everyone is complaining and me as well is, the Chronarch name has always been known for its smooth buttery connected feel/retreive where as the Curado was more plasticky(?). Turning the CU50E into a Chronarch is Subpar. the 50E is no where near the refinement and quality of the CHD7/D5's. Again...take a Ford Mustang's name and throw it on a Ford Focus. Now are you going to say....yeah the new Mustang is a $14,000 Focus...therefore it is appropriately priced and not subpar or are you going to say....WTF...its not a Mustang? Exactly.

Again, Shimano knew that many people even the average "Joe" knew what the Chronarch is. It is as many have stated, a marketing ploy to garner more sales using the Chronarch Name. And if you haven't noticed, in one of the threads, JPD confirmed the Chronarch E series is just the Curado E series. I've owned several Curado E sereis. I know how they fish and feel like and they are nothing like the Chronarch D series. Most people expected same or better peformance/refinement but alas, Shimano went backwards this year.
Marine General Staff - Duluth MN
**What is fishing?**

muskyhunter
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by muskyhunter » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:17 pm

let's hope for better economy next year and some new DC reels from Shimano...icast 2012 is less than 365 days away! \:D/
Let's go fishing!!!

ecu daniel 14
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by ecu daniel 14 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:51 pm

Buck2thPerch wrote:
KDAB wrote:

The whole point why everyone is complaining and me as well is, the Chronarch name has always been known for its smooth buttery connected feel/retreive where as the Curado was more plasticky(?). Turning the CU50E into a Chronarch is Subpar. the 50E is no where near the refinement and quality of the CHD7/D5's. Again...take a Ford Mustang's name and throw it on a Ford Focus. Now are you going to say....yeah the new Mustang is a $14,000 Focus...therefore it is appropriately priced and not subpar or are you going to say....WTF...its not a Mustang? Exactly.

Again, Shimano knew that many people even the average "Joe" knew what the Chronarch is. It is as many have stated, a marketing ploy to garner more sales using the Chronarch Name. And if you haven't noticed, in one of the threads, JPD confirmed the Chronarch E series is just the Curado E series. I've owned several Curado E sereis. I know how they fish and feel like and they are nothing like the Chronarch D series. Most people expected same or better peformance/refinement but alas, Shimano went backwards this year.
=D>

GARRIGA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GARRIGA » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:34 am

I used to think Shimano before anything else. Looked for a cranking lefty and was forced to look at one of Daiwa's more expensive offerings. Now I own an R, a Z and another is on the way plus a Pluton. Considering getting a Ryoga 1016 for my cranking although the new rebadged Curado does provide me an option I didn't have before and why I tried Daiwa in the first place.

What are Shimano's plans to keep the true Chronarch crowd happy? It seems that above $200 spender will need to consider other options if they want the previous feel they now have lost to this new apparent marketing scheme. Unless the true Chrinarch gets rebadge such as Core then I'm thinking many Shimano die hards will seek Daiwa instead. Don't think another has something that can compete with the true Chronarch. Perhaps Shimano is not dome with this years new reel offerings.

KDAB
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by KDAB » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:07 am

I don't think anyone ever said it was the same as the old Chronarh....

The reel itself isn't under performing, I guess I'm not as attached to the names as most...the thing that really sucks is that price of a Cronarch D probably won't drop like a reel normally would when a new model comes out.

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Tokugawa » Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:10 am

GARRIGA wrote:I used to think Shimano before anything else. Looked for a cranking lefty and was forced to look at one of Daiwa's more expensive offerings. Now I own an R, a Z and another is on the way plus a Pluton. Considering getting a Ryoga 1016 for my cranking although the new rebadged Curado does provide me an option I didn't have before and why I tried Daiwa in the first place.
The EXACT same thing happened to me. I was looking for a low geared cranking reel and nothing was offered by Shimano. To that point in time, I had one old Daiwa and the rest were all Shimano. I wasn't considering Daiwa at all before finding out Shimano had no interest in making a low geared lefty. I decided on a Zillion CC...and after another Zillion, two Sols, an Alphas, Pixy, two Fuegos, a TD-z and a soon to be Z200HL...I'm not looking back. :lol:
GARRIGA wrote:What are Shimano's plans to keep the true Chronarch crowd happy? It seems that above $200 spender will need to consider other options if they want the previous feel they now have lost to this new apparent marketing scheme. Unless the true Chrinarch gets rebadge such as Core then I'm thinking many Shimano die hards will seek Daiwa instead. Don't think another has something that can compete with the true Chronarch. Perhaps Shimano is not dome with this years new reel offerings.
Bantam1 has indicated that 2012 will be the year they release more high end reels.

GARRIGA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GARRIGA » Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:01 am

If 2012 is the year Shinano releases more high end reels then it will be Daiwa for now. The one exception is a Core 51. I have the 101 and that's one sweet reel but still not as smooth as the D7. Still scratching my head about why that appears to be discontinued.