Reel designers

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Reel designers

Post by dragon1 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:30 pm

SLM...good points.
Shimano-Or-Nothing wrote: by Shimano-Or-Nothing » Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:46 pm
tj1004 I'm with you on this one. I own a Chronarch D and several Curado E's to tell you the truth I've never felt a huge gap in performance switching from one to the other. Definitely never felt like the Curado was plasticy or cheap. Personally, yeah, I wish Shimano would have done more. But I'm not sweatin' it. I'll definitely be getting my hands on one of those 5.5:1 Chronarchs. 5.0:1 gear ratios always feel way too slow. I'm hoping the 5.5:1 gear ratio will be the perfect crankbait reel for me! I'll wait to pass judgement when I get it out on the water, I don't care what it looks like on paper. If that make me an average joe thats fine with me.
Yeah, okay...how would you have reacted if Daiwa did this? :-k What makes me wonder why we sometimes waste the English language, is the biased replies of hardcores (regardless of what brand they choose). Is this the same as strengths and weaknesses that do or don't exist from brand to brand?
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

ecu daniel 14
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by ecu daniel 14 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:56 pm

I understand there was plastic in the older chronarch...the point I was trying to make is the older chronarch doesnt feel
"plasticy" like the curado or citica does....they changed the "chronarch's" design which is extremely similar to the older curado 50 and e7....just painted white and black...therefor the new chronarch is "plasticy."
stress-what happens between fishing trips

tj1004
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by tj1004 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:10 am

Ecu daniel,
Nice assumption about me, it surely made an ass out of someone.....sure, I've never used a chronarch, except for my 100a, Met MG, 100mg, 50mg, 3 100b's and Met xt. So, keep making open ended assumptions and see where they get you

facelessnewsouth
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by facelessnewsouth » Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:45 am

Come on you guys...can't we all just get along? :lol:

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Tokugawa » Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:25 am

What's worse? Complaining about new reel releases or complaining about those who complain about new reel releases? :roll:

Pot...kettle...black...

This thread is close to being shut down. [-X

tj1004
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by tj1004 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:42 am

Shut it down then. I was tired of hearing a bunch of bitching so I started this thread

PainInTheBass
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by PainInTheBass » Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:45 am

tj1004 wrote:Shut it down then. I was tired of hearing a bunch of bitching so I started this thread
You could always just not read the threads that upset you :-k
My fishing antics @ paininthebass.blogspot.com

Speckled
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Speckled » Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:09 am

Really most of the previous Chronarchs had plastic side-plate (singular). The palming side of the reel might be graphite (plastic). Nothing new and not only on Shimano reels, as Daiwa's plaming side plates are also plastic.
The handle side plate on the Chronarch has been aluminum ;) . Even the SF had aluminum side plate(S).

This new Chronarch E is being billed as a "Souped up Curado E" :roll: . Who knows :-k . Sad that a Chronarch has to be relegated to being a "souped up Curado". A Chronarch has always stood for something in regards to Shimano's. It never was a souped up Curado.

I do not like the fact that it has graphite side plate(S) (plural). Just like the Curado E :-k . Also it looks just like a Curado E and is priced at the same price that the Curado E was to be priced at $199.99 instead of the $179.99 the the Curado 200E cost.

Really don't see anything on this new Chronarch E (50E & 200E) that wasn't on the Curado E (200E & 50E) other than the dartanium II drag?? Someone help me out if I'm missing it :-k .

I own a SF, B, Met XT, D7 but I'm not sure I want a E. I was pretty excited to see the new Chronarch 8-[ , not last years Curado E :doh: :( .

BTW, this is TT and if we are not happy with something why can't we come on here and B*tch? What is this site here for if we can't complain about a companys products or praise their products when needed?

Speckled
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Speckled » Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:13 am

Uh oh :big grin: .

Didn't see Tokugawa post until I already posted :-s .

SLM
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SLM » Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:20 am

Speckled wrote:Sad that a Chronarch has to be relegated to being a "souped up Curado". A Chronarch has always stood for something in regards to Shimano's. It never was a souped up Curado.
To the contrary--that's essentially what the CH-50mg is: a lightened, souped up CU-100. For that reason, I never thought I'd ever like or own a 50mg but it's actually become one of my favorite reels. (And it has plastic sideplates :lol: )

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Tokugawa » Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:22 am

Speckled wrote:Uh oh :big grin: .

Didn't see Tokugawa post until I already posted :-s .
Your post is fine. ;)

The thread was heading a bad direction (and really was started in a bad direction by the OP), but if future posts are rational and don't violate the TOS it will stay open. O:)

Speckled
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Speckled » Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:42 am

tj1004 wrote:Shut it down then. I was tired of hearing a bunch of bitching so I started this thread
You start a thread bitching about other people bitching :?:

Sounds strange :-k .

At least the others are complaining about reels (this site is about fishing, fishing products) and the mother of all Tackle shows is going on right now :lol: . What do yo think we are going to be talking about?

Really if you been around TT for any previous ICAST you know the drill (TJ ;) , I know you have been around for previous ICAST).

Some years good news for your favorite reel company and other years not so much. Runs in cycles, but we as anglers are not always \:D/ happy about all new products. Or in Shimano's case this year, LACK of NEW products.

I like Shimano's ;) , just not real happy with the "new" Chronarch model. As someone who owns previous Chronarch's, I look forward to each NEW one released, knowing (most of the time) Shimano is going to put out a great product. Not so sure from looking at the pictures and reading the specs on this Chronarch E :-k .

Speckled
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Speckled » Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:47 am

SLM wrote:
Speckled wrote:Sad that a Chronarch has to be relegated to being a "souped up Curado". A Chronarch has always stood for something in regards to Shimano's. It never was a souped up Curado.
To the contrary--that's essentially what the CH-50mg is: a lightened, souped up CU-100. For that reason, I never thought I'd ever like or own a 50mg but it's actually become one of my favorite reels. (And it has plastic sideplates :lol: )
SLM,

I never thought of the Chronarch 50MG as a true Chronarch :shock: . I never owned a 50MG :oops: , but I did buy a Scorpion 1000MG before the Chronarch 50MG was released later that year at ICAST ;) . I still have that reel today and it still gets used.

So, I never thought that reel should of been called a Chronarch anything :shock: , it was a "Souped up Curado" (100B model).

SLM
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SLM » Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:57 am

Speckled wrote:I never thought of the Chronarch 50MG as a true Chronarch :shock:
Me neither--but it's become a favorite of mine. :D

USA-RET
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by USA-RET » Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:58 am

Regarding the new Chronarch 50 series reel. Since it is manufactured in Japan, I was wondering if the issues that identified by some forum members with the Curado 50 (noisy and loose feeling) may be eliminated in the new Chronarch 50 :-k

It would certainly be nice if the new Chronarch 50 turned out to be the USDM equivalent of the JDM Scorpion XT1000 @ a $200 price point. The Scorpion XT1000 is (IMO) an aluminum framed version of the Core 50MG. Having owned and fished both reels there isn't a huge difference between the two (IMO).

I would certainly like to see a shoot between Scorpion XT1000 and the New Chronarch 50 and see if there are any glaring performance or quality differences.

I am surprised :shock: at the animus displayed for reels that no one has yet handled or fished. It's so un-TT-like :lol:
~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
¿ <°)))))><