Quantum Exo Spinning - Lightest on the market?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
WesternBassman
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Quantum Exo Spinning - Lightest on the market?

Post by WesternBassman » Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:01 am

I was reviewing the specs of the new Exo spinning reel and noticed the 25 size weighs 6.9 ounces. I did some comparisons:

Quantum Exo 25 - 6.9 ounces
Daiwa Steez 2508 - 6.9 ounces
Shimano Stradic CI4 2500 - 7 ounces
Pflueger Patriarch 35 - 7.1 ounces

You are probably wondering why I compared everyone else's 25 with the Patriarch's 35. I don't know if anyone else has noticed, but over the many years of looking at reels on Cabela's counter, it seems Pflueger's reel sizing runs smaller. The size of a Pflueger 35 is probably closer to a Shimano/Daiwa/Quantum 20/25. The Pflueger 25 is really more like everyone else's 10.

Maybe my perception on this is wrong, but that's not a bad marketing strategy if you ask me especially in regards to weight comparison. If Shimano all of a sudden changed all their 25 reels to 10s, it would give the appearance that they are just that much lighter.

Anyone else notice this disparity?

vszero
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Quantum Exo Spinning - Lightest on the market?

Post by vszero » Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:09 am

theres no such lighest spinning reel, just balanced rod make it lighter
females are more confusing than bass fishing

muskyhunter
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by muskyhunter » Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:12 am

The Daiwa Exist Steez Custom is the lightest i believe. The 2506 is 6.7 oz but costs $800 USD +.
Let's go fishing!!!

Bassboss
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Bassboss » Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:54 pm

Well would ya look at that... remember when everyone hated quantum cause they were so heavy. lol. :lol:

Revo MGX is also the lightest baitcaster at 5.4.... just sayin. lol. :lol:

basscattrent
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by basscattrent » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:05 pm

To be fair I would go by the 9030 and you would weigh in at 6.3. oz. That reel holds 115/8lb braid which is perfect for bass fishing just add a leader to the braid by using a uni knot. I use 20lb power pro that has a 6lb diameter. Dropshotting in 60 ft \:D/ never felt better \:D/ and you deal way less with line twist. More and more guys are switching over to braid every. This reel will get the job done just as the old Supreme XT did :big grin: :big grin: except it is 1.1oz lighter and is better made. =D> =D> . For the :whistle: price and quality :big grin: it can't be beat as stated by Tackle Tour when they reviewed the Partriarch XT 9030. Here is the review if you want to read it. http://www.tackletour.com/reviewpfluege ... hspin.html

WesternBassman
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by WesternBassman » Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:34 am

Checked some data on mono capacities:

Daiwa Steez 2508 - 170 yds / 8
Pflueger Patriarch 35 - 140 yds / 8
Quantum Exo 25 - 150 yds / 8
Shimano Stradic CI4 2500 - 140 yds / 8

If the capacity numbers are accurate, I think it would be appropriate to compare the weights of those 4 reels.

mike304
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by mike304 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:05 pm

Just saw Van Dam using the EXO during the telecast of the Elite Series All Star. Didn't know what it was but it looked cool so I looked it up. Neat looking piece of hardware.
Life is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid

Pen3
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Pen3 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:29 pm

WesternBassman wrote:Checked some data on mono capacities:

Daiwa Steez 2508 - 170 yds / 8
Pflueger Patriarch 35 - 140 yds / 8
Quantum Exo 25 - 150 yds / 8
Shimano Stradic CI4 2500 - 140 yds / 8

If the capacity numbers are accurate, I think it would be appropriate to compare the weights of those 4 reels.
Not sure about the other reels, but the steez is based of line diameter 8lb .285mm 110yds

Snyder Rods
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Snyder Rods » Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:47 am

The Patriarch comes with two spools, a low-capacity carbon spool meant for braid, and a higher capacity spool for mono. On the Patriarch 30 size, even the carbon spool has enough capacity for the 16lb. Magnathin mono that I use... enough for fairly long casts and the big bass I've caught this year on it, up to 10 lbs. With the carbon spool it weighs 6.3 oz. Also, the Pflueger will probably be more sensitive than the carbon rotor reels if they are anything like most I have seen in the past (all the carbon rotors I have seen except for the U.S. reels were soft like plastic). Sensitivity is stiffness to weight ratio.

The bottom line is, it's big enough for largemouth bass and clearly the lightest. And probably the most sensitive. It's a winner.

With that said, it's nice to see Quantum coming out with lighter, competitive spinning reels.

basscattrent
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by basscattrent » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:39 am

Thanks for the information. I :big grin: see no reason why people thank this is not a smoking reel at a great price used to kick some bass butt. This is the best reel going by far for the price without a doubt. The other guys will need to play catch up to match this quality and price level.

BassFreak
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by BassFreak » Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:28 am

Bassboss wrote:Well would ya look at that... remember when everyone hated quantum cause they were so heavy. lol. :lol:

The Daiwa Presso has been at 5.4oz (actual measured weight http://www.tackletour.com/reviewdaiwapressobc.html ) for the past 5-6 years.. just saying as well.. :shock:

Mcyl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Mcyl » Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:01 am

Hi all.
I am currently trying to decide upon a light spin reel too.
On paper the exo 25 and 30 seem an excellent choice but are unavailable and hence not warranteed
In Australia. So reliability will be a big issue.
Right now I am having a hard time deciding upon either:
Exo pti 25 or 30
Stradic ci4 2500fa
Patriarch xt 9535.

Has anyone used or owned both the patriarch and the exo? Any opinion will help
Greatly.

Thx in advance
www.facebook.com/MCY.LO

hsangler
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by hsangler » Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:52 pm

Look at the new Bass pro carbonlite spinning reel on weighs 6.3 and the other 6.6, not Sure how Bass pro sizes are, just saw it in the new catalog

Mcyl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Mcyl » Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:56 am

It's amazing how the exo is so light using aluminum. I guess its a case of good engineering vs use of exotic mg or carbon fibre. If its anywhere as smooth and rigid as the energy then it should prove a winner.
www.facebook.com/MCY.LO

NYBASSIN
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by NYBASSIN » Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:17 am

BassFreak wrote:
Bassboss wrote:Well would ya look at that... remember when everyone hated quantum cause they were so heavy. lol. :lol:

The Daiwa Presso has been at 5.4oz (actual measured weight http://www.tackletour.com/reviewdaiwapressobc.html ) for the past 5-6 years.. just saying as well.. :shock:
The presso is a trout reel with 22" IPT and only 2 pounds of max drag. Shouldn't have even been brought up but I know a daiwa fanboy will say anything to not be out done by one of the "lesser" companies.