In need of Vintage Bantam 100 Help ...

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: In need of Vintage Bantam 100 Help ...

Post by Slazmo »

Go on treat it to a long overdue spa bath and hyper.
John G
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John G »

Slazmo wrote:
Sun Apr 16, 2023 6:44 am
Go on treat it to a long overdue spa bath and hyper.
I plan on it. I've already ordered a couple things for it and I have some other plans. Stay tuned. :D
Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo »

I got mine early 2015, from the US great lakes area so wasn't corroded like others you find over here...

Didn't bother with upgrades, just polished it up and put it pride centre in my cabinet of 200 other reels.
dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 »

John G wrote:
Sun Apr 16, 2023 6:31 am
dragon1 wrote:
Sun Apr 16, 2023 3:16 am
Schuuuweeet. I have a very clean fully rebuilt Bantam 10SG Mag with SS bearings, carbontex, and upgraded levelwind. Beautiful and fully functional collector's piece.
Please post a pic. What did you do to upgrade the level wind?
Hey John, I don't have a way to post on TP ATM. I'll send you some pics by phone. On the levelwind I bought it fully rebuilt from Randy at Timeless Shimano in Canada a few years back.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."
gt2003
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by gt2003 »

I've sent a message to Reel Old Guy so hoping he is still around. He seems to be the resident expert on these reels. I know it's an old thread but it seems to be the closest to what I need to know.

I bought what I think is a Shimano Bantam 200 off ebay. I bought the reel because the non-gear sideplate is FLAWLESS, no flaking! I noticed that on the gear side the sideplate says "Bantam 200" but on the non-gear side the sideplate says Bantam 100. How do I know which one I have?

I've replaced the bearings with new ones and have updgraded to Carbontex washers and have been fishing it just because I love it! I also have a Daiwa PMF1000 that I did the same things too and I'm fishing it this year as well. The Daiwa PMF1000 is the 1st reel I purchased for myself when I was probably 12 or so. I have just always loved the Shimano's so thought I should buy one and add it to the vintage collection as well. I know technology has advanced and I've got new reels (Curado MGL's and K's) but these reels are from my childhood. Every few years I'll commit to do all my pond fishing with them and this is that year.
dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 »

Wow,

Good for you my friend...and yes, it would be great to know whether ROG is still with us.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."