Better for crankbaits? Sol or Chronarch 51mg?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
karirick
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Better for crankbaits? Sol or Chronarch 51mg?

Post by karirick » Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:51 am

Fellas,
Wanting to thin another reel or 2. Which would you keep for an all around crankbait reel? I do not use crankbaits much, and am using the Loomis DF 864 for the rod. I know the Sol has a bit better gear ratio, but the mg is lighter. Thanks for any input/adive you may have.

Rick

ppFishing
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Better for crankbaits? Sol or Chronarch 51mg?

Post by ppFishing » Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:09 am

I keep both. They are both nice reels. Either one you might regret selling later.

godshippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by godshippy » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:38 am

What ppFishing said. You'll regret selling one or the other. I really regret selling my Sol :(

karirick
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by karirick » Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:12 pm

Classic TT answers gentlemen :) I may keep both, but am trying to sell what I won't use. Thanks.

Rick

fishingandfords
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by fishingandfords » Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:29 pm

My 50mg can make a small crank fly plus it's a favorite among shimano fans so I wouldnt sell it

Finnz922
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Finnz922 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:00 pm

Agreed that you would regret selling either. Both are phenomenal reels. I like the Sol better so if I would have to sell one it would be the Chronarch. I just think the Sol fishes better although I do love the lack of weight in the Chronarch 51MG. Sorry you have to make that decision.

rakuin79
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by rakuin79 » Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:50 pm

I use my Sol for lighter cranks all the time and its flawless imo

stratos20
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by stratos20 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:11 am

my 50mg is perfect for lighter crankbaits! i also sold a sol and regret it! :crying:
Fish on!

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DavidSA » Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:23 pm

Years ago I sold my Alpha/sol to get more MG50's. The braking on the MG50 is better IMO.

karirick
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by karirick » Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:34 pm

Thanks guys.

Rick

legendaryyaj
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by legendaryyaj » Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:37 pm

Keep the Sol and sell me the 51mg.

I've used the 51mg for shad raps and I honestly think it's overkill for the reel. It really felt strained esp with that itty bitty handle on it. It worked fine with shallow bandits though.

USA-RET
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by USA-RET » Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:02 am

Shimano Chronarch 50/51MG is a classic. A definite keeper IMO.

I think the Sol and other Alphas based reels are wonderful also (those and the TD-Z are my Daiwa favorites)...Unless you are strapped for cash, put the Sol back in the box and put it away. I'll guarantee that you will revisit that reel in the future and be happy you didn't sell it.

Just my .02 rupees
~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
¿ <°)))))><

Stratos
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Stratos » Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:48 am

What is the depth range you are using for the cranks? I believe the 50MG is a great reel for shallow stuff around 7 feet and under. Any deeper than that and I would go with the Sol. I think the world of the 50MG, but they just aren't built good to handle the torque from the deeper diving baits.

karirick
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by karirick » Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:13 pm

Thanks for the replies. Wanting 1 reel for all my cranking. Don't do a bunch but want a light reel when I do. I have to make the call here in an hours or so. Would anyone consider the Chronarch 201E 5.5 or Core 101 over either of the others?

Rick

Buck2thPerch
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Buck2thPerch » Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:37 am

karirick wrote:Thanks for the replies. Wanting 1 reel for all my cranking. Don't do a bunch but want a light reel when I do. I have to make the call here in an hours or so. Would anyone consider the Chronarch 201E 5.5 or Core 101 over either of the others?

Rick
As others have said, I would keep both. I regret selling my Chronarch 50MG a couple of years ago.

But to answer your question about the Chronarch 5:5:1 and all opinions aside, fact is the Chronarch 200E is a Curado 200E 5:5:1. I don't own a Core so I cannot answer that part for you. Hopefully someone can chime in who owns a Core 100.

Comparing the CH/CU 200E5 to the SOL/Alphas, I would pick the Sol/Alphas over the CH/CU 200E5. Here are my opinions of each reel and the reason to my choice:

Pros CU/CH 200E 5:5:1
#1 - Septon Grips: Where the CH200E/CU200E shines is the winding power of the septon grips. The grips give them a more powerful feel vs the Sol/Alphas. Throw the older smaller grips found on the Citica 200E on the CU/CH 200E and they feel less powerful. I was able to even this field by adding 92mm handles from a TD-A HSTA to my Alphas ito 103. The 92mm handles did make up for the Septon Grips powerful feel - IMO. You gotta give it to Shimano for thier Septon Grips.
#2 - Line Capacity: The 200E series hold almost twice the amount of same test line compared to the SOL/Alphas. If you are planning on cranking with 14lbs - 20lbs mono/floro line, the 200E is a perfect choice.
#3 - IPT (Inches Per Turn): CU/CH 200E has a lower 23 IPT vs the Sol/Alphas 24 IPT. To some, 1 inch difference can make or break the strike zone of how fast and deep or far thier cranks go. IMO, 1 inch difference is negligable at best. If it is 23 IPT vs 26 IPT - yes makes a big difference. But regardless, the CU/CH 200E deserves the edge here.
#4 - Power: Both reels have almost the same amount of cranking power IMO, but stock the 200E deserves the edge due to its Septon Grips which gives you the more powerful feel.

Pros SOL/Alphas
#1 - Quality: SOL/Alphas are more refined and have a connected feel, where as the Curado 200E had the hollow feeling. If you can use these two reels side by side for as long as I did, you'll know what I am talking about. The refinement and quality of the SOL/Alphas over the CU/CH 200E is just that much better.
#2 - Casting The SOL/Alphas will outcast the CU/CH 200E - STOCK. Even with ABEC7 Upgrades on the CU/CH 200E, I don't think, can match the stock performance of the SOL/Alphas as the SOL/ALphas both have lighter Spools. I am almost positive on this as I have owned five CU200Es. But the bad thing is, I didn't even think about comparing these two reels when I had my CU200E5's. I have already sold them so for disclaimer purposes, I am going off asumptions as my Alphas Ito 103 stock was able to outcast my stock CU200E7 by 10ft - 15ft. With ABEC7 Upgrades at most the CU200E7 should have gained was about 6ft-8ft....10ft max.
#3 - Lure Weight Range: The SOL/Alphas with its lighter Spool enables you to cast a variety of light cranks to even heavy cranks.
#4 - Reel Weight The SOL/Alphas wins big here. If you crank all day, the lighter the reel makes a big difference especially with most cranking rods being heavier than your normal trigger rods. Depending on which iteration of the Alphas you have its anywhere from 5.9oz (Alphas Ito ai 103) to 7.4oz (SOL) vs 7.6oz of the CU/CH 200E. A big difference between 5.9oz vs 7.6oz.
#5 - Ergonomics: SOL/Alphas again wins big here as their frame is easily palmed and sits lower IMO than the 200E's. And I am not that fond of the CU200E's green. I don't have a CH200E yet but I like the color scheme. Any iteration of the Alphas have good color schemes and even the yellow SOL is nice.

Overall Cranking: What matters to me
#1 - Reel weight - can you imagine holding a rod and reel then with the force of the crankbait in the water as well? its like holing a stick with a 3lbs rock at the end of your pole all day.
#2 - Line capacity - gotta have the line capacity to cast those lures way out there.
#3 - Ergonomics - gotta be comfortable especially when cranking!
#4 - Casting - ease and distance in a cast is very important.
#5 - Quality - If I am going to spend $200 on a reel, I am going to get my $$ worth, not something that will grind and feel cheap in a year or two even with regular maintanence (*Cough* Abu & Quantum *Cough*).

Stock for Stock, the Alphas fit my needs much better than the 200E5. Thus the reason why I sold my 200E5's. I did aquire more Alphas/SOL after I sold my 200E's. I know you are probably thinking what about line capacity...right? Well I fish with braid most of the time and thus I crank with 30lbs Power Pro (6lbs Mono Equivalent) on my Alphas. Thus Line capacity of the 200E5 over the Alphas was a moot point for me. Also with the amount of time I had using these two reels, and after all the upgrades I did on my Alphas, the Alphas had better upgrade options, parts, and path. And once upgraded the Alphas was 5x the reel it was stock. The 200E5 was a very good reel but the Alphas was just that much better. Example: You are dating two girls and you had to pick one. Girl #1 is equally as beautiful as Girl #2, everything about both are almost identical, likes, dislikes, common interests with you, even hair color. In the end you chose Girl #2 because she had the bigger rack. :laugh1: I don't think you can find a reel that can be as versatile as the SOL/Alphas - especially on lure weight and range. Just my opinion. :big grin:

Hopefully that helped some. :D
Marine General Staff - Duluth MN
**What is fishing?**