Chronarch 50mg upgrades

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Buck2thPerch
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Chronarch 50mg upgrades

Post by Buck2thPerch » Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:33 am

Regardless if I was ripped off or misguided with false info from the seller of the spool, the spool he sold me definetly performed above my Stock CH50MG spool. For $90 I am not going to complain much, plus, I got my money's worth back when I sold it. But now I wish I knew what kind of spool it actually was.

My current project is turning a CU100B into a finesse reel - if I can. I already know what I need for parts but now I have to see what finesse spools I can get to fit the CU100B.

CU100B Finesse:
#1 - Alphas/Sol Dragstar(can be bent for swept handle) or else Steez Drag Star
#2 - Swept Handle or Semper-Fi handles
#3 - Semper-Fi 4BB Knobs or Zpi Aluminum Knobs
#4 - Carbontex Drag
#5 - Since no Avail Spool will fit perhaps Yumeya? If not a CH50MG spool will have to do (wouldn't be a finesse reel at this point but better caster).

Before anyone jumps on me for Swept handle upgrades on a Shimano, yes it works. There are moddifications you need to do to make the swept handle work along with the drag star. The only negative you will have with a swept handle modification is no clicking drag star. I don't have a Steez Drag Star yet but I have a modded Alphas drag star. On the swept handle - I don't think there is an aftermarket swept handle for Shimano Reels or haven't seen any yet. Abu's, Daiwas, Lew's will work. Since Shimano Drive shafts are smaller, you will have to add four thin 1mm metal layers (maybe more or less) on the inside of the handle holes from Abu, Daiwa, or Lews etcs. This should make the Handle holes fit and hold Shimano drive shafts perfectly. I will post pictures later. I have already done this on one of my CU100B's I gave away.

Though a question for you Zen, have you tried to see if the Calais 100A worm drive gear system works with the CU100B? It would be nice to have the Calais worm drive gear with the xtra bearing on the CU100B. This would total the bearings with 4BB Knobs to a total of 10BB for my CU100B if it works.
Marine General Staff - Duluth MN
**What is fishing?**

OnlyOneCanoli
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by OnlyOneCanoli » Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:30 am

Hey buck if it's not too much trouble could you pm me a little more info on the swept handle conversion and what I need please. Thanks in advance.
Sal

Buck2thPerch
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Buck2thPerch » Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:10 am

OnlyOneCanoli wrote:Hey buck if it's not too much trouble could you pm me a little more info on the swept handle conversion and what I need please. Thanks in advance.
Sal
I'll post a Tutorial.

And correction on 10BB for my CU100B. I keep thinking of Daiwa reels. The CU100B only has 4BB+ Roller. So its 9BB Total.
Last edited by Buck2thPerch on Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
**What is fishing?**

OnlyOneCanoli
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by OnlyOneCanoli » Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:15 am

I can't thank you enough for the help.
Sal

Buck2thPerch
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Buck2thPerch » Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:39 am

I just posted a quick Tutorial about getting a swept handle and star drag on the Curado 100BSF.
**What is fishing?**

OnlyOneCanoli
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by OnlyOneCanoli » Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:27 am

What topic is it under could you post the link?
Sal

OnlyOneCanoli
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by OnlyOneCanoli » Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:55 am

Oh one more quick question. What was the reel that you can use the spool from to get more line capacity for the 50mg. Was it the curado 200dpv? I need to know this ASAP before the reel sells. I have a line on a curado dpv it's beat up but I just want the spool. I want to know before I grab it. I just dont want it to sell before I grab it. Thanks to all again.
Sal

Buck2thPerch
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Buck2thPerch » Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:54 am

OnlyOneCanoli wrote:Oh one more quick question. What was the reel that you can use the spool from to get more line capacity for the 50mg. Was it the curado 200dpv? I need to know this ASAP before the reel sells. I have a line on a curado dpv it's beat up but I just want the spool. I want to know before I grab it. I just dont want it to sell before I grab it. Thanks to all again.
Sal
I believe the 200DPV Spool will not fit the CH50MG as the 200DPV Spool is bigger in size. The Curado 100BSF Spool which is what you see in my Tutorial will fit and hold more line than the CH50MG. I could be wrong but I am almost positive. The CH50MG spool is probably the lightest stock spool that can be interchanged between these reels: Citica 100D, CU100BSF, and CU100D. You will loose the ability to cast lighter lures but I think you are not planning to use light lures? I have a Shimano Cruxis somewhere and it is basically a Citica 200D with a bit more plastic. If I can find the reel, I will check otherwise if someone knows, hopefully they can chime in.
**What is fishing?**