Curado 50 E

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
BucketHunter
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Curado 50 E

Post by BucketHunter » Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:55 pm

Is it robust enough for all my toe to toe, close range fishing needs?
Pitching finesse jigs to docks, to flipping slop?
Thanks.
Set hard and set often

fishingandfords
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Curado 50 E

Post by fishingandfords » Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:15 pm

It pitches awesome and you will love it

Shimano-Or-Nothing
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Shimano-Or-Nothing » Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:51 pm

I have no doubt it can handle pitching and flipping, as far as casting and drag power goes. But, to me, it doesn't pick up line fast enough to fish soft plastics. I think this reel really shines when you use it for topwater lures, jerkbaits, and shallow crankbaits.

JLP
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by JLP » Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:10 pm

I have them on all my flip'n and pitch'n sticks. Caught fish up to 13lbs with no problems :big grin:

KCL655321
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by KCL655321 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:32 pm

Shimano-Or-Nothing wrote:I have no doubt it can handle pitching and flipping, as far as casting and drag power goes. But, to me, it doesn't pick up line fast enough to fish soft plastics. I think this reel really shines when you use it for topwater lures, jerkbaits, and shallow crankbaits.
That would be my concern with using a 50E as well. I haven't used mine for flipping & pitching, but I've fished t-rigs with mine & I just don't like how slow it is for any presentation where you might need/want to pick up slack in a hurry. It'll work just fine, but for my personal preference, plastics, FnP, any technique where I'm using my rod tip, that's one time where I really want a high speed reel.

LPFC
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by LPFC » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:10 pm

Man are they tiny. My thumb would hit the spool/line if I didn't pay attention how I held it.

Just an FYI...

facelessnewsouth
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by facelessnewsouth » Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:23 am

LPFC wrote:Man are they tiny. My thumb would hit the spool/line if I didn't pay attention how I held it.

Just an FYI...
'sfunny. I keep my thumb on the spool/line, especially when pitching/flipping. If you can get a good deal on it, you wont be dissappointed. Maybe upgrade your drag to carbontex to get a couple of extra lbs out of it, and pitch away! If the retrieve is a little slow for you, you can always drop in the 7:1 gears from a core 50mg, and save a few bucks over just buying the core.

chasiubao73
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by chasiubao73 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:03 pm

It pitches great. But for me personally I would prefer a higher IPT. I mostly use the Curado 51E for small shallow cranks. If IPT isn't an issue for you then it will work for you.

Bronzeye
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bronzeye » Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:21 pm

facelessnewsouth wrote:If the retrieve is a little slow for you, you can always drop in the 7:1 gears from a core 50mg....
I never realized I could do this! =D> Have any of you reading this done this conversion? About how much would the gears cost?