Stradic fj or Caldia

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
GotJDM
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Stradic fj or Caldia

Post by GotJDM » Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:42 pm

Thinking on getting a new spinning reel. I really like the two stated in the title but idk which one is worth it for the money. Let me kno based on ur experience.

(white caldia with orangeish trim)
Double Digit Lure Company.

cjtoad
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Stradic fj or Caldia

Post by cjtoad » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:41 pm

I'd go with the Caldia. I've got a 2000 size I added two bearing (one under the spool and one on the line roller) and carbon drag washers. Never had a single issue with it. I will says the new Stradic looks pretty sweet and the X-ship reels are great, but I'd still go with the Caldia.

GotJDM
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by GotJDM » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:53 pm

cjtoad wrote:I'd go with the Caldia. I've got a 2000 size I added two bearing (one under the spool and one on the line roller) and carbon drag washers. Never had a single issue with it. I will says the new Stradic looks pretty sweet and the X-ship reels are great, but I'd still go with the Caldia.

is it still better with out all of thoes upgrades?

cjtoad
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by cjtoad » Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:24 pm

I don't know. I haven't got any real time on the water with the new Stradic only the last model and the CI4. The new Stradic might be better than the Caldia out of the box. For me half the fun of a new reel has become supertuning them, so it's kind of a no brainer for me. I know it was less than 20 bucks for the Caldia upgrades and they were pretty easy to do.

GotJDM
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by GotJDM » Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:29 pm

cjtoad wrote:I don't know. I haven't got any real time on the water with the new Stradic only the last model and the CI4. The new Stradic might be better than the Caldia out of the box. For me half the fun of a new reel has become supertuning them, so it's kind of a no brainer for me. I know it was less than 20 bucks for the Caldia upgrades and they were pretty easy to do.
Thanks for the info!

GotJDM
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by GotJDM » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:10 pm

Keep the info comming!

Basswrangler
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Basswrangler » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:36 pm

Bocas got a 25% off code that can be found in hot deals. With that deal I just ordered a knob bearing and drag bearing for under $13 shipped. You could get them much cheaper, but I decided to go with high quality hybrid bearings from Boca. Can't comment on the new stradic, just thought I'd let you know that the bearings are a little cheaper right now in case you go with Caldia and want an easy upgrade.

Gabriel
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Gabriel » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:10 pm

I've got an Stradic FJ in the 3000 size. It is incredibly smooth and feels really well built, I don't think I would feel the need to add any bearings to it. It already has a line roller bearing too.
"Can I poke the fish in the eye?"
Dakota

GotJDM
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by GotJDM » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:18 pm

any more facts and opinions?

Gabriel
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Gabriel » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:43 pm

GotJDM wrote:any more facts and opinions?
The stradic smells nice?
"Can I poke the fish in the eye?"
Dakota

ogrich31
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ogrich31 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:49 pm

It's really up to you, both are great reels. I'd personally go with the Caldia mainly because I find it to look better.

I will add that I found them to be smooth in different ways. I can't really explain it, but the Caldia has what seems like a friction free smoothness to me, while I feel you feel more connected with the Stradic. I don't know, you have to check out other Daiwa's or Shimano's to know what I'm saying.

GotJDM
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by GotJDM » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:17 pm

ogrich31 wrote:It's really up to you, both are great reels. I'd personally go with the Caldia mainly because I find it to look better.

I will add that I found them to be smooth in different ways. I can't really explain it, but the Caldia has what seems like a friction free smoothness to me, while I feel you feel more connected with the Stradic. I don't know, you have to check out other Daiwa's or Shimano's to know what I'm saying.
aha, like the description. But yeah, Ill look deeper into this topic. Still havent found my answer yet :-#

Phantom
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Phantom » Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:10 pm

the new stradic feels alot better than the old white caldia, x-ship makes a huge difference (helps achieve that lighter daiwa feel compared to the geary feel shimano users comment on, not thats its a bad thing - i do have 6!). so if its out of those 2 id say stradic hands down, bullet proof really.
now i just got my 2011 caldia last night and if it was out of the new stradic and new caldia, id go the new caldia! looks awesome, feels awesome, light and smooth! and who can resist a reel with clean bespoke look and carbon fibre thrown in!
digitaka was the cheapest outlet online i can find for the calida fyi.

GotJDM
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by GotJDM » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:28 pm

Got my stradic fj in today and all i can say is WOW! By Far the best spinning setup ive had! SUPER SMOOTH! Overall Im satisfied about my choice! :mrgreen:

21farms
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 21farms » Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:28 am

tough call. i had two caldias and loved 'em. i also had the stradic ci4 and liked it very much but i have no experience with the FJ. i love the feel of the thicker air bail on my daiwas compared to the skinny wire bails on my shimanos and, since i manually open/close the bail on every cast, it makes a big difference for me during the course of a full day's fishing just in terms of enjoyment. i also seem to have better luck with less line twisting on my daiwas than my shimanos but i have no idea why that is. interestingly, the smoothest spinning reel i've ever had was also the least expensive one i bought...a shimano sahara FD that was absolutely glass smooth straight out of the box. to this day, i still regret selling that reel to "upgrade" :(