TW reviews getting to me

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
agggh
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

TW reviews getting to me

Post by agggh » Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:45 pm

The more and more I read about the lews tourney pro, the more I want it. I usually dont pay attention to reviews, but the lews tourney pro reviews say its better than cores! :big grin: :laugh1:

How would you guys say it compares to a chronarch 50, casting-wise? I dont really care about anything other than casting to tell you the truth.

I have a revo premier, if anyone can compare it to that for reference.

ec1
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: TW reviews getting to me

Post by ec1 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:27 pm

I own a Patriarch XT (Very close to the revo premier) and then a Lews TP.
I think the Patriarch casts better IMO, but not by much if at all.

The braking system is downed to only 4 centrifrugal brakes vs the 6 on the Patriarch. In general, both are very good reels.

To be honest, I'd really like to see a side by side comparison with the BPS JM carbonlite vs the Lews TP. They are so similar, and I wonder if the cheaper carbonlite can actually outperform the Lews.
If someone can confirm that, I'll be getting one maybe 2 carbonlites this year.

agggh
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by agggh » Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:33 pm

From TW

Comments: Unbelievable control, with two brake system you can throw light or heavy baits with easy adjustments. Outcasts my big $ reels by 25 yards. Unbelieveable!!!

By 25 yards, really?! That would be insane.

I like how he dosent mention which "big $ reels" hes comparing them to either.
Last edited by agggh on Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

agggh
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by agggh » Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:37 pm

ec1 wrote:I own a Patriarch XT (Very close to the revo premier) and then a Lews TP.
I think the Patriarch casts better IMO, but not by much if at all.

The braking system is downed to only 4 centrifrugal brakes vs the 6 on the Patriarch. In general, both are very good reels.

To be honest, I'd really like to see a side by side comparison with the BPS JM carbonlite vs the Lews TP. They are so similar, and I wonder if the cheaper carbonlite can actually outperform the Lews.
If someone can confirm that, I'll be getting one maybe 2 carbonlites this year.
Thank you, that was what I was looking for. I was just wondering if I was missing out on something, based on the reviews.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:16 pm

Take it with a grain of salt. If you take some time to read reviews on different brand reels (I am only assuming that you may have not?)...you will be "assured" that there is no brand better, no matter the price, regardless of your personal experience with these other brands. NOT just in terms of the price & application category of the "reviewed" reel itself; but in Brand A being superior overall to any other brand.

For me, the biggest deterrent to reading these TW reviews (and elsewhere); is the many times less than masterful use of the English language. :roll: ](*,)
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

facelessnewsouth
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by facelessnewsouth » Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:26 am

As far as reviews go, I don't trust any reviews on any store site. I'd much rather ask for impressions here, or from those that have actually used the reel, and not base my decisions on the opinions of some guy who may or may not have a comprehensive knowledge of tackle, who may or may not have another agenda, or who may or may not have actually used the product. Sure, you can get that here too, but at least here theres a level of accountability and a public discourse where things can be proven or disproven.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:04 am

facelessnewsouth wrote:As far as reviews go, I don't trust any reviews on any store site. I'd much rather ask for impressions here, or from those that have actually used the reel, and not base my decisions on the opinions of some guy who may or may not have a comprehensive knowledge of tackle, who may or may not have another agenda, or who may or may not have actually used the product. Sure, you can get that here too, but at least here theres a level of accountability and a public discourse where things can be proven or disproven.
Well said and very good points.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

USA-RET
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by USA-RET » Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:04 am

I usually check reviews on a number of websites and then only believe half of what I read. :lol: You'll start to see trends in comments by the contributors where strengths and/or shortfalls start to manifest for each reel you investigate.

Then ask the question here :laugh1:
~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
¿ <°)))))><

Frenzy
Angler
Angler

Post by Frenzy » Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:29 am

I don't have any 50 size shimano's so can't comment on that. I have curado 201e's, a revo skt, and a tourney pro.
I really like the tourney pro but I think it has very similar performace to other reels I have. It's light and feels good in my hand. It takes a little more adjusting to get it dialed in than my 201's or revo. Honestly out of the 3 my revo skt is my favorite, which is basically a premier. I just wish lew's or abu would offer 7:1 ratios on those 2 reels, since they don't I'll be sticking with my 201's for most of my fishing.

damian_megabass
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by damian_megabass » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:43 am

facelessnewsouth wrote:As far as reviews go, I don't trust any reviews on any store site. I'd much rather ask for impressions here, or from those that have actually used the reel, and not base my decisions on the opinions of some guy who may or may not have a comprehensive knowledge of tackle, who may or may not have another agenda, or who may or may not have actually used the product. Sure, you can get that here too, but at least here theres a level of accountability and a public discourse where things can be proven or disproven.

QFT! Stopped reading so called reviews for a while, I rely on TT :big grin:

Funny thing is Sunline Metan seems to sell their lines quick but no reviews..... :lol: Maybe someone should write one up ;)
I will NEVER sell another 3:16 swimbait again!

bemo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bemo » Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:08 pm

I agree that you need to take others opinions as only one piece of the whole story but in the case I think the tourney pro reviews are pretty spot on. There is a reason why people rave about these reels. I have several and think its an amazing reel for the money.

KCL655321
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by KCL655321 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:41 pm

I usually go for consensus & ignore the super great & super terrible reviews(especially when they suggest another brand, bias confirmed) dripping with hyperbole when trying to gauge equipment I'm considering. I've had some trouble with my TPs casting, like today I was getting backlashes on my recently purchased TP1S, but when I was flipping pins with the sideplate open, I noticed the inside of the sideplate looked super oily. Wiped that down & it started controlling perfectly after that with a 1/4oz lipless. I really like my TPs, very comparable to the Revos I have($199.99 & higher models), although if the 7oz STXes are in the pipeline, I'll probably not be buying anymore TPs in the future, since I like my Revos more.

OhioChamp183
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by OhioChamp183 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:03 am

:big grin:

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:22 am

LOL...I dig the pic. The model surely does have a nicely manicured thumb, eh?

robchik04
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by robchik04 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:48 am

A friend of mine has two and both took a dump on him. Forgot the exact issue, but Lew's stepped up and replaced them no charge and sent him some goodies as well. The turn around time was nearly non-existent as i believe they sent him two fresh reels and he returned his two busted ones.

he's not had a problem since!
robchik.com