longest casting baitcast reel+rod +line combo for 3/16-1/2?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
haoz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: longest casting baitcast reel+rod +line combo for 3/16-1

Post by haoz » Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:13 am

w/o super-tuning, some of the best b/c reels off the shelf that I've seen, which can cast a mile include the Daiwa Z2020 and/or the Shimano Conquest series.

I'm sorry, don't see any great Abu casters where I fish. So I'm not a big Abu fan. (But I'm a big fan of some of the limited edition reels that my Japanese friend has tho... looks really good. but that's about it)

Rod.... That really depends on application. But for casting, the general rule of thumb is the longer the better. before you decide on rod length and application, its really difficult to pinpoint the best rod for you.

basser100
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by basser100 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:58 am

Well I want to cast 1/4 topwater + 1/4-1/2 soft plastics maybe even 3/8 to 1/2 topwater also.
Rod length 7.5 feet or shorter. I want to try a cheaper reel than a Z2020 as that will be the reel I will buy if
I dont get the results I want for the cheaper reel. I wonder how a super tuned Revo MGX-SHS will do? Or would another REVO be better?

rubs96
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by rubs96 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:12 am

I don't have the rod but it's on my wish list... G.Loomis BCR893GLX or NRX. It's 7'5" and called "senko" rod and designed for plastics but I'm sure it could handle top waters without any issues.

For a reel - especially for distance - go for a Shimano DC (digital control) reel like the Calcutta 100DC/200DC (I think 250DC may be too big for the rod) or Calais 200DC (7:1 reel). I love both the Calcutta and Calais DC reels for all applications but use the Calais for spinnerbaits more often because where I fish the bass are smaller and are usually smallmouth and they seem to like chasing the baits. I guess the Calais would be better for plastics as well because of the high speed gear ratio and retrieval - and because it was designed for shorter casts as well - so if you can swing the extra ~$120 I'd go for it!

Calcutta TE200DC Review: http://www.tackletour.com/reviewshimano ... atedc.html

Calais 200DC Review: http://www.tackletour.com/reviewshimano ... eview.html

*EDIT:

I bought the BCR893GLX and it's incredible. I have it paired right now with my Calais 200DC with 50lb. Power Pro Super 8 Slick. I took it out for Perch last weekend and casted three-way rigs with 1/2oz. weights. It was awesome =P~
bcr893glx and calais 200DC.jpg
bcr893glx and calais 200DC.jpg (53.67 KiB) Viewed 6485 times
Last edited by rubs96 on Mon May 14, 2012 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

WoodT
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by WoodT » Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:09 pm

basser100 wrote:Well I want to cast 1/4 topwater + 1/4-1/2 soft plastics maybe even 3/8 to 1/2 topwater also.
Rod length 7.5 feet or shorter. I want to try a cheaper reel than a Z2020 as that will be the reel I will buy if
I dont get the results I want for the cheaper reel. I wonder how a super tuned Revo MGX-SHS will do? Or would another REVO be better?
In descending order of cost...stuff I have or have had (except for the dx743...)...defer to others on their input and experience on things they propose. These things just work for me relative to absolute distance at those lure weights. I do not use mono. I use Sufix 832 and am very happy with it, as many folks are.

1. Steez and an NRX 893 at those lure ratings, DC100 and Megabass F6-72 if you really intend heavier (F6 And DC100 too much at 1/4oz IMHO... particularly if you mean weightless plastics...that is a lot of graphite and metal to be swinging at a 1/4 plastic)

2. Used Steez :lol: and a Dobyns DX743.

3. Chronarch 100D7 from somewhere/someone and a Dobyns Champion 733.

4. Revo Premier and a Dobyns Champion 733 or 7'2" Cumara.

5. Curado 200e7 and a...Dobyns Champion 733 or 7'2" Cumara (new crucial will be the same-ish)

Add Abec 7 boca bearings to any of these for more fun, and definitely to the Curado E...that is a great upgrade to a very sound.

Might suggest starting in the middle tiers here if you are fat with cash but a few years out of the game.

haoz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by haoz » Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:09 pm

just had to respectfully disagree there.

if you're fat with cash, and a few years out of game, I'd suggest going straight for the top end stuff to update yourself on the changes. No point getting the mid-tiered stuff and then upgrading again and again, wasting more $$$ in the process. =p

If I had known I would fall in love with fishing, (and top end gears) I would have gone straight for the gears right at the top.

The Shimano DC series a definitely must-try as the whistling and cast distance is just too addictive.

The Daiwa Z2020 is also another winner..

Cracker
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Cracker » Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:28 pm

Try new 2012 Shimano Antares!
Japanese guy casts 21g plug of 99 meters distance using that reel and 6'6" rod - really impressive!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIiCBeYi9Z0

WoodT
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by WoodT » Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:02 pm

haoz wrote:just had to respectfully disagree there.

if you're fat with cash, and a few years out of game, I'd suggest going straight for the top end stuff to update yourself on the changes. No point getting the mid-tiered stuff and then upgrading again and again, wasting more $$$ in the process. =p

If I had known I would fall in love with fishing, (and top end gears) I would have gone straight for the gears right at the top.

The Shimano DC series a definitely must-try as the whistling and cast distance is just too addictive.

The Daiwa Z2020 is also another winner..
Ah, but the OP cites the Daiwa Z2020 as his backup option already....it's a given that this fine, exchange rate-encumbered reel is only a matter of time. Plus, even more than my DC100, it has the benefit of weighing as much as reels he had from awhile back. ;)

jeb
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jeb » Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:43 am

l2yan wrote:A reel that doesn't break the bank and can cast that full range BEAUTIFULLY, look no further than a revo premier ;)
Lots of great advice already. Hard not to agree with this, though. I have 4 of the current generation Premier's, and have had them for quite a while now. I also have a Calais DC, 2 Steez's, Calcutta DC, Calcutta TE250GT, Core 50, Curado 50 and just recently bought a Revo MGX, among other reels. I enjoy fishing with the higher end stuff, but everytime I pick up a rod with a Premier on it and use it for a while, I have that little voice in my head saying "Man, what are you doing buying all this high end stuff when this Premier is such a great reel?". It is SUPER refined, super smooth (casting, retrieving and drag), bullet proof, easy to adjust and just does it all. Now, my Calais DC does out cast it, but it's a much noisier reel and not as smooth feeling as the Premier. And it's much heavier. I feel the Premier is, by far, the best bang for the buck reel on the market today. It's only downside is that it will show boat rash quicker than other reels. Doesn't impact performance, but some folks get hung up on that.

Something I have not seen mentioned in this thread is weight. A lot of the reason I go higher in price is to get a lighter reel. It makes a difference, in my experience, in sensitivity and fishability. Reels like the Calais, Calcutta, many of the Daiwa's mentioned, etc are heavy reels. I use the heavier reels almost exclusively for moving baits now, not bottom contact stuff. The Premier is not in the super light category, but at 6.7 ounces, it is much lighter than many reels.

haoz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by haoz » Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:29 am

bah, go straight for the top.

light reels are good, but you run the risk of having a set-up that feels tip heavy if you pop 1oz + topwater for monster fishes like I sometimes do.

light reels are mostly Mg, and needs alot of tender loving care. The non MG reels that are light, are currently composite materials which can flex when handled roughly.

you want a refined lady that can handle the rough humping? look no further than the Conquest series, DC or not.

yea, exchange rate might suck, but if you buy something mid-tier and end up selling it at sale $ only to make way for a top end gear later on, I believe basic accounting principles will dictate that suck more.

the whistling of the Calais make me jizz. :mrgreen: hehe. I supposed some people likes their ladies to be quiet so I leave the verdict open on that...

Calais not smooth?? Probably time for a servicing.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:35 am

haoz wrote:bah, go straight for the top.

light reels are good, but you run the risk of having a set-up that feels tip heavy if you pop 1oz + topwater for monster fishes like I sometimes do.

light reels are mostly Mg, and needs alot of tender loving care. The non MG reels that are light, are currently composite materials which can flex when handled roughly.

you want a refined lady that can handle the rough humping? look no further than the Conquest series, DC or not.

yea, exchange rate might suck, but if you buy something mid-tier and end up selling it at sale $ only to make way for a top end gear later on, I believe basic accounting principles will dictate that suck more.

the whistling of the Calais make me jizz. :mrgreen: hehe. I supposed some people likes their ladies to be quiet so I leave the verdict open on that...

The DCs, while exceptionally long casting; are not the longest casting in all situations in my experience.

I believe this is more the work of the end user, the rod, the line, lure aerodynamics...a super-tuned Abu wouldn't hurt either.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

bigreddog
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bigreddog » Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:55 am

My top 2 choices in each category for distance with lures weighing 3/16 to 1/2 oz):

Reel:

1) Shimano Calais/Antares 200/201 DC (the DC reel with greatest degree of adjustability)
2) Shimano Calcutta Conquest 100/101 DC (not as adjustable, but still gets 'em out there)

Rod:

1) Daiwa Heartland-Z Kawa Special II HL-Z 832MFB-ti05 (the longest bass rod I know of that matches your lure spec)
2) Daiwa Heartland Shin-Zan Baitcasting Edition HL 742MFB-10 (excellent casting range and accuracy)

Line:

1) Mono: Sunline Super Natural (in the lowest pound test you're willing to go to minimize wind resistance)
2) PE/Braid: Sufix 832 (most new 8-strand PE lines will cast well, but Sufix seems to be particularly supple and smooth)

jeb
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jeb » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:29 am

haoz wrote:bah, go straight for the top.
But "top" really is in the eye of the beholder, is it not?
The OP never asked about a reel for 1oz baits. But you're right, for throwing larger, 1oz + baits all the time, I'd opt for a bigger, heavier reel, too. Although I think the Premier would handle it. And it's got huge drag power, too.
For fresh water, there are no concerns with MG that I'm aware of. The Premier is alum, BTW.
Curious if you own some of each? I do, and assure you that Calais is not as overall smooth/silent as the Premier. I service my reels often, too. And I'm not just talking about the DC whine. I'm fine with that. And it's not that the Calais is a rough, super noise maker. It's just that the Premier is SO smooth and quiet.
Last edited by jeb on Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

jeb
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jeb » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:37 am

basser100 wrote:I wonder how a super tuned Revo MGX-SHS will do? Or would another REVO be better?
Just saw this. I've had my MGX for about a week now. I fish 3-4 days a week, and have been trying to use it a fair amount to get used to it. First thing I did, like all my reels, is tore the reel down and cleaned the bearings/reoiled, and cleaned the factory grease and re-greased it. Loaded it with 12# FC, like I do for most of my reels. It's mounted on an NRX893.

I've been throwing unweighted 5" senkos, 1/8-1/4oz t-rigs and 3/8-1/2oz jigs with it, for the most part. So far, I'm really liking the reel. Super light weight, good drag power and as smooth as the Premier's I own. It will take more time in the saddle of course, but at this point, I think it compares very, very favorably to my tuned Steez's, as far as performance on the water.

gorilla style
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by gorilla style » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:59 am

I would go with Jebs advice, he actually owns and extensively uses alot of those reels so hes pretty qualified to give advice about it. 8-)

jbsoonerfan
Angler
Angler

Post by jbsoonerfan » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:01 am

Why do you need to throw a soft plastic a quarter mile? Hook sets are too hard to make when you cast them that far.

Not trying to be a butt head, just really wondering why one would want to throw a soft plastic that far.