longest casting baitcast reel+rod +line combo for 3/16-1/2?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
basser100
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

longest casting baitcast reel+rod +line combo for 3/16-1/2?

Post by basser100 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:48 am

Guys I just got back into bass fishing this year after 14 years. So much has changed that now im totally lost.
I use to fish with team daiwa tournament and shimano baitcast reels. I had used some braided line but it didnt cast very far. So now I need your help. I want the longest casting baitcasting rod,reel, and line combo for 3/16 to 1/2 lures for bass. I would like to use 10-14 lb test monofilament line. But if there is a longer casting line Im open to it.
Im going to throw soft plastics to maybe a 1/2 oz top water. Even if the rod or reel is from japan I would order it.
I know its not going to be cheap as I have looked at some 700$+ Jpn version baitcasters on ebay. So please tell me what combos would work and what kind of casting distance I could get out of them.

tywithay
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: longest casting baitcast reel+rod +line combo for 3/16-1

Post by tywithay » Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:11 am

I have a 7' mh fast action team daiwa rod with a Calcutta 250DC reel, 14lb Sunline Super Natural. I haven't fished with anyone yet that can cast a 1/2oz jig head further than I can with this setup, with a baitcaster anyway. A light line spinning reel will throw a 1/2oz a mile.

basser100
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by basser100 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:33 am

I wonder how a t3 compare to a t3 ballistic ? And how they compare with a Z2020 for casting distance with
1/4-1/2 lures?

l2yan
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by l2yan » Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:50 am

You can't go wrong with the z2020. For 3/16-1/4 oz, the red 2014 spool rocks!

A reel that doesn't break the bank and can cast that full range BEAUTIFULLY, look no further than a revo premier ;)
www.BigSmallieTackle.com
www.HeroesOnTheWater.org

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:14 pm

All I know is I bring out the Salmon/Steelhead rods when I'm looking for distance. :big grin:
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish

yogidozer1
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by yogidozer1 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:24 pm

anybody want to guess how many different answers this will get?

basser100
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by basser100 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:35 pm

I want a ton of answers. Please be more specific on the rods. For example include the exact model number.

yogidozer1
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by yogidozer1 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:21 pm

basser100 wrote:I want a ton of answers. Please be more specific on the rods. For example include the exact model number.
It would be helpful if there was a price range. Reasonable can mean different things to different people.

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:36 pm

Dobyns DX743 and a TDZ103H. The TDZ will take a little while to find but is well worth it. I would also put Boca Orange Seal bearings on the spool and side plate.

l2yan
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by l2yan » Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:41 pm

slipperybob wrote:All I know is I bring out the Salmon/Steelhead rods when I'm looking for distance. :big grin:
TRUE DAT!! :big grin:
www.BigSmallieTackle.com
www.HeroesOnTheWater.org

new2BC4bass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by new2BC4bass » Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:18 pm

All else being equal a longer rod is going to get more distance. 8 foot seems to be about the longest for bass fishing, and not many of them around....far as I know. I don't Salmon/Steelhead fish, but it is my impression that a 9' rod is a short rod for that type of fishing.

It is also my opinion that a rod with a nice parabolic bend is going to give you the longest distance. At least it does for me. Of the rods I own, I would say my Falcons give me the greatest distance with lures in that range. Both the Expert and the Cara (not T7) do quite well. Both have what appears to me to be moderate actions.

If I were looking for a long distance BASS rod for that weight range, I would be looking at a rod in the 7'6" length (or thereabouts) in medium power and moderate action. This rod should load well. Problem is that although I often throw for the moon, I've never tried testing my gear to see which combination would throw the furthest.

However, I can tell you that my Curado 51E on a 6'6" Falcon Expert Medium will throw a 3/16 oz. spinnerbait further than my Alphas ito/Zillion 6'6" Medium Extra Fast will. Both reels have 8 lb. mono on them. My personal opinion is that it is the rod, not the reel, that determines best distance for these two combos. Of course I will have to switch reels/rods to know for sure.

Now that I usually fish from a boat, I am not as concerned about distance as I was when stuck on shore. I will say that I think it is funny that shore bound fishermen are often trying to throw their lure to the other shore, while the first thing they do when they get in a boat is head for the shoreline and cast up next to it. I'm as guilty as the next person. I'm looking for cover and weed lines. Where are they? Along the shore, of course! :big grin: :mrgreen: :laugh1:

EDIT: Oops. Just noticed that your weight range isn't for 3/16-1/2 like I was thinking, but 3/16-1 oz. That changes things. A medium power is going to be out of the question. Most don't go above 5/8 oz. Several of my mediums have an upper rating of 1/2 oz. Now you are talking a MH rod rated for 1/4-1 oz. lures. Doubtful it will give you the best distance at both ends of the spectrum, but would be a good compromise if all you want is one rod to do it all. If you insist on maximum distance for 3/16 and 1 oz., then I think you are going to need 2 rods.

My Zillion 50th Anniversary with 12 lb. mono and Zillion Flip and Pitch rod (a 7'6" Heavy) will throw a 3/4 oz. spinnerbait far enough that it might give me some trouble setting the hook.

My experience is very limited compared to most of the guys on here which is why I am not listing makes and models for you to buy, but only mentioning what I have. I can tell you that my TD-Z 103HL Type R on that same Zillion Flip and Pitch rod will also launch a frog a long ways. It is loaded with 55 lb. braid.

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Tokugawa » Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:06 pm

If you aren't going to consider a custom rod, I'd just buy this combo and be done with it:

http://www.tackletour.com/reviewdaiwazilliontyper.html

http://www.tackletour.com/reviewmbx4destruction.html

Spool up with this:

http://www.tackletour.com/reviewshooterfc.html

Go to town.

Lanebacker
Angler
Angler

Post by Lanebacker » Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:23 pm

If all you're concerned with is distance, I'ld probably go with a top end shimano spinner on a nice stiff g-loomis rod about 7'10" long . But I imagine you want some control to that cast which is why your asking for a baitcaster.

I myself am in the the same perdicament, I'm looking for the longest casting baitcaster combo that still gives me enough control to keep it out of the mangroves. (I'm a inshore fisherman) I haven't used a baitcaster since '94 so i'm a little behind the times.

Myself, I'm trying to keep my new setup under $500 so from what i've been reading on this site, i think i'm gonna go with the revo premier comboed with a GL2803C (6'8" g-loomis med-hvy ex-fast)

any thoughts out there on this rig before i pull the trigger? what is a father casting set-up than this?

tywithay
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by tywithay » Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:17 am

Lanebacker wrote:If all you're concerned with is distance, I'ld probably go with a top end shimano spinner on a nice stiff g-loomis rod about 7'10" long . But I imagine you want some control to that cast which is why your asking for a baitcaster.

I myself am in the the same perdicament, I'm looking for the longest casting baitcaster combo that still gives me enough control to keep it out of the mangroves. (I'm a inshore fisherman) I haven't used a baitcaster since '94 so i'm a little behind the times.

Myself, I'm trying to keep my new setup under $500 so from what i've been reading on this site, i think i'm gonna go with the revo premier comboed with a GL2803C (6'8" g-loomis med-hvy ex-fast)

any thoughts out there on this rig before i pull the trigger? what is a father casting set-up than this?
I would keep the reel as the Revo seems to be a top contender, especially if you upgrade the bearings. In my opinion, I would go for the GL2893C for added distance though. The longer rod will help you get quite a bit more distance, plus will help move the line quicker for a better hookset on those long casts. As far as control, you got a thumb so you can pretty much stop it anywhere you want out there if you're aiming for a particular spot.

basser100
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by basser100 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:09 am

Which revo model is the best for long distance casting?