Daiwa Fuego Casting Reel

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Bass Junkie
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Daiwa Fuego Casting Reel

Post by Bass Junkie » Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:50 pm

What do you guys think bout the Daiwa Fuego Casting reel? If it a decent reel for supertuning? Also,what kind of upgrades are being done to it? I'm new to supertuning/modifying and am looking at a reel to start with. Opinions? Thanks- BJ

biggs
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Daiwa Fuego Casting Reel

Post by biggs » Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:35 pm

The Fuego is an excellent choice to start supertuning and stock is a nice reel. Pretty much any upgrade that can be done, can be done to a Fuego.

I have 3 Fuegos and love them, I wouldn't say they are supertuned but they are tuned with OS bearings, carbonex washers, 4bb CF handles and one was custom painted.
Instagram @___bradb

Bass Junkie
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Bass Junkie » Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:38 pm

Cool! Thanks for the information. On a slightly different note, can the PX Type R 6.8:1 gear ratio fit in a Fuego? Anyways, thanks for the info so far! What shallow/finesse spools, if any, are available for the Fuego?

bstuckey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by bstuckey » Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:56 pm

Biggs hit the mark with the Boca Orange Seal Bearings, Carbontex Drag upgrade and 4 bearing handle. I would also consider adding a TDZ-100M or HLC spool and replacing the bushing in the level-wind/worm-gear. The Fuego is a reel that responds well to these upgrades.

Bass Junkie
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Bass Junkie » Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:05 pm

Considering I'm new at this, would you recommend seals on or off for this project? Also, replace the level-wind bushings with what? Bearings? Sorry if I'm a little slow here :oops:

biggs
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by biggs » Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:57 pm

Bass Junkie wrote:Considering I'm new at this, would you recommend seals on or off for this project? Also, replace the level-wind bushings with what? Bearings? Sorry if I'm a little slow here :oops:
I took the seals off my spool bearings and yes you would replace the level wind bushing with a bearing.
Instagram @___bradb

JWR075
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by JWR075 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:16 pm

Fuegos rock, I even have a sub 7 ounce (not by much) finesse type reel. It is a Fuego with normal bearing upgrades, Zillion PE long cast spool, and an Engine Zansin ZH86 handle with ZPI machine cut knobs. I would say get all of them you can as they have a lot of potential and can be found for cheap (compared to new Daiwa quality reels like the PX-Type R, Steez, T3 and even the Zillions).

taylor5877
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by taylor5877 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:30 am

And after having them apart, for what you pay, they're a better value than the zillions.

Pretty much the same reels internally, with the zillions having a larger main gear.

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Tokugawa » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:44 am

They are good little reels. I have two I use for contact baits. They become excellent after a spool, handle and drag upgrade.

Or you can buy a TD-Z.

bstuckey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by bstuckey » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:19 am

Tokugawa wrote:They are good little reels. I have two I use for contact baits. They become excellent after a spool, handle and drag upgrade.

Or you can buy a TD-Z.
Or both. :big grin:

Bass Junkie
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Bass Junkie » Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:06 pm

Thanks for the replies guys. I had a deal to get one, but it looks like the seller was marketing a spinning reel and wasn't exactly clear on that aspect :oops: But I still have another place to check. Thanks for all the helpful information. Does anybody have picture of what they've done cosmetically to theirs? I'd love to see them! Tight lines 'till nest time-
BJ

biggs
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by biggs » Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:41 pm

You should be able to pick them out.
The one that you can't really see the handle has a Pflueger Pat XT CF handle.

Instagram @___bradb

Bass Junkie
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Bass Junkie » Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:45 pm

That custom painted one is beautiful! I really like the carbon fibre handle on the far one... What handle is that? Thanks for the pics! Anyone else have some they'd like to share? Thanks TT- BJ

dcorp
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by dcorp » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:40 pm

A local bait shop has their Fuegos on clearance and I almost bought one. the only thing that stopped me was the drag felt a little week. I have a Viento and only get about 7-8 lbs of drag and the Fuego felt simular. I hate setting the hook on a fish in the weeds and having line strip out.Anyone with Fuegos have this problem? I dont know what their drag is rated at??

bstuckey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by bstuckey » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:33 pm

dcorp wrote:A local bait shop has their Fuegos on clearance and I almost bought one. the only thing that stopped me was the drag felt a little week. I have a Viento and only get about 7-8 lbs of drag and the Fuego felt simular. I hate setting the hook on a fish in the weeds and having line strip out.Anyone with Fuegos have this problem? I dont know what their drag is rated at??
Install a set of Carbontex Drag Washers into your Fuego or Viento and your drag problems will be solved. I believe that the Tackle Trap one of the board sponsors carries them.