Lews Tournamnet vs Curado 200G

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
mike1045
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Lews Tournamnet vs Curado 200G

Post by mike1045 » Thu May 17, 2012 2:34 pm

Which would you buy and why?

ecu daniel 14
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Lews Tournamnet vs Curado 200G

Post by ecu daniel 14 » Thu May 17, 2012 3:02 pm

Tournament* ](*,)

Id get the Lews. I think Lews makes a solid reel for the price. The Curado G series feels cheap to me.
stress-what happens between fishing trips

QUAKEnSHAKE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by QUAKEnSHAKE » Thu May 17, 2012 8:19 pm

LT just to be different. Every Darryl and his brother Darryl has a Curado. I have a 50E and meh its not really all that great I think its been over-hyped by all the Darryls.

smalliesteve
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by smalliesteve » Fri May 18, 2012 6:17 am

QUAKEnSHAKE wrote:Every Darryl and his brother Darryl has a Curado
:lol: :lol:

My brother in law is from mississippi and his name is Daryl. For a long time when I saw him I'd do the "Hi I'm Daryl, this is my brother Daryl, and this is my other brother Daryl". He started to hate me a little.

brickhouse314
Angler
Angler

Post by brickhouse314 » Fri May 18, 2012 6:54 am

The Lew's reels are definitely intriguing. If I have to choose between the Curado G and the Lew's, I'd be really tempted to give a Lew's a try, and I'm a Shimano guy. If the Curado E were an option I'd go with that though.
"Dad gummit!" - Bill Dance

brownhl
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by brownhl » Sat May 19, 2012 12:58 pm

First time I have ever heard someone make a disparaging remark about a Curado 50E, which is a US version of a Japanese Scorpion. I have three and have found them to be superb reels in every respect. So what feels cheap about the Curado 200G other than Shimano dropped the handle bearings? I will say this about Shimanos, try to get parts for a Lews, or Abu in three years. My Curado 100B's from eight years ago perform just a well as the day I bought them. I strip, clean and lube all of my own Shimanos and I buy them because they are simply engineered and durable and many Shimano parts are interchangeable in their baitcaster family.

jbassc
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jbassc » Sun May 20, 2012 10:50 pm

Mike definetly go with the lews im a shimano guy myself but i rercently purchased the curado 200g and i was really dissapointed.Now i never owned a lews but i heard there really good reels :-k Maybe i should get one myself.

Bassfever
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Bassfever » Mon May 21, 2012 6:53 am

I too would probably go with a Lews' just to be different. I've heard nothing but good things. While on the other hand I've heard a lot of negatives from the newer Shimano's.
smalliesteve wrote:
QUAKEnSHAKE wrote:Every Darryl and his brother Darryl has a Curado
:lol: :lol:

My brother in law is from mississippi and his name is Da ryl. For a long time when I saw him I'd do the "Hi I'm Daryl, this is my brother Daryl, and this is my other brother Daryl". He started to hate me a little.
Bahahaha! That's so good! Knee slapper! Those guys on the Newhart show killed me!

mike1045
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by mike1045 » Mon May 21, 2012 7:14 am

Thanks fellas....LEWS it is....hmmm, now which one?

Bassfever
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Bassfever » Mon May 21, 2012 10:47 am

GO with what you can afford. The saying stands true... "You get what you pay for"!

Myself, being a weight weenie :oops: , would opt for the "Tournament Pro". 8-)

brickhouse314
Angler
Angler

Post by brickhouse314 » Mon May 21, 2012 11:32 am

Bassfever wrote:I too would probably go with a Lews' just to be different. I've heard nothing but good things. While on the other hand I've heard a lot of negatives from the newer Shimano's.
Most of the negatives I'm hearing about Shimano's current lineup is that the Curado and Chronarch aren't the Curado and Chronarch of old. They're both great reels in their own right (and I don't believe the pricing's any more than it should be), but it seems to be just a case of the name on the reel not upholding the legacy of that name. I'm happy with my Chronarch E so far, but I've never had or used a Chonarch D so I have no basis of comparison.
"Dad gummit!" - Bill Dance

Bassfever
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Bassfever » Mon May 21, 2012 3:25 pm

brickhouse314 wrote:
Bassfever wrote:I too would probably go with a Lews' just to be different. I've heard nothing but good things. While on the other hand I've heard a lot of negatives from the newer Shimano's.
Most of the negatives I'm hearing about Shimano's current lineup is that the Curado and Chronarch aren't the Curado and Chronarch of old. They're both great reels in their own right (and I don't believe the pricing's any more than it should be), but it seems to be just a case of the name on the reel not upholding the legacy of that name. I'm happy with my Chronarch E so far, but I've never had or used a Chonarch D so I have no basis of comparison.
Agreed. I dont have any of the new "G" series Citica's or Curado's, but have the old "E" series. I was just stating what I've heard or read from people who have had both (including the Chronarch).

I'm sure they're great reels at their respective price points. :big grin:

That being said, IMO, I would try the Lew's (if buying a reel around the same price point, because I've heard and read great things about them from current Shimano owners.

I, myself, have been possessed by the evil demon called "Daiwa" as of late. :evil:

KCL655321
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by KCL655321 » Mon May 21, 2012 5:38 pm

I have a couple TPs & they're really good reels & I've heard the series under them is solid as well, just a bit heavier. I'd take the Lew's all day.
QUAKEnSHAKE wrote:I have a 50E and meh its not really all that great I think its been over-hyped by all the Darryls.
Same, just not that impressed with it after reading all the hyperbole from Shimano fans about the 50E being in a class of it's own at the price range. I was wondering if I was fishing with a different reel than everyone else, because it's just underwhelming. Not to say it's not a solid reel, because it is, but it feels cheap in hand, not a fan of the slow 6.4 gear ratio on that small of a reel, & it's performance isn't any better than any of my other $200 range reels, even with OS bearings. I got mine on the cheap, so it was worth what I paid for it, but if I had paid full or even close to full retail for it, I would've not been a fan of it at all.

CaptBob
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by CaptBob » Wed May 23, 2012 3:15 pm

mike1045 wrote:Thanks fellas....LEWS it is....hmmm, now which one?
I bought a Tournament w/MSB not the single break system MG, this spring to go with a new Avid 6'9MLXF, after trying a new G7 Curado and finding it to be less quality than I have come to expect out of Shimano from my last 30 or so reels and sold it. Then I was hesitant and didn't want to buy the more expensive Lew's reel, as I couldn't believe my tech at the tackle store when he said I would like it better than the Curado ( as I am an Avid Shimano reel fan). After a couple outings I sold my older Curado and Castiac and bought the Team, for my Avid 7' MF. both in the 6.4 gear ratio. I then found a used 6'10 Avid MHF for less than cost than a Ugly Stick and put the Tournament MSB on it and bought a third Lew's, the Tournament Pro 7.2:1 for the AVC69MLXF for an 11.6 oz. total weight finesse outfit. WOW what a Spring, these were great reel upgrades, I'm still surprised at the quality, not just in casting ability with super light lures and heavier ones, but the peak drag stopping power is amazing and super smooth, with all of them. The tournament MG and less expensive reels also have a maximum drag of 10 pounds, the Tournament MSB and higher priced reels all have 14+ pound drags and Multi System Break for mag or centrifugal. and the Team and Tournament Pro give you the Carbon handle the other reels don't have.

Sorry for the history lesson, I just want to make it clear I am suggesting this with some hands on experience with these model's and to answer you I think the (TP) Tournament Pro is the best bang for the buck!! It has the (MSB) Multi-system-breaking, the MG is Magnetic only and I think the Centrifugal on the MSB is by far better. The TP is lighter than the top of the line Team has the same huge drag as the Tournament MSB and Team, Your choice of gear ratio, an easy access main gear oil port (the Team doesn't???whats up with that!) and the same bearing count as the Team, one more than the Tournament, and the carbon handle only it and the Team have. It just doesn't have the Aluminum side plates the team has @ 80 bucks more, but all are one piece Aluminum frame!! In my opinion the best low profiles out rite now, you can't go wrong with any of them, I think you would be happy with any, but if you have the buck's, get the Tournament Pro you won't be disappointed! Like I say, a Team without the Aluminum side plates, but with the oil port my Team doesn't have!!
Fish Hard or Go Home!