Daiwa Lexa

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
biggs
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Daiwa Lexa

Post by biggs » Wed May 23, 2012 10:08 am

I could be blind but I didn't see anthing about the braking system?? Magforce, Magforce Z...........
Instagram @___bradb

baoxlaox81
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by baoxlaox81 » Wed May 23, 2012 11:11 am

I think its safe to assume that its the plain jane magforce. Spools too deep for magforce z.

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Wed May 23, 2012 3:13 pm

biggs wrote:I could be blind but I didn't see anthing about the braking system?? Magforce, Magforce Z...........
I didnt see anything either.
I like TD-Z's
Instagram: teal_101_jdm

Buck2thPerch
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Buck2thPerch » Fri May 25, 2012 10:20 pm

The Curado G with composite frame vs the Lexa with Aluminum frame.......Lexa wins. Both have power grip type knobs.....Tie. Bearings Lexa 8+1.....Lexa wins. Price.....Tie. Ergonomics, Lexa has better handle but palming is a big "?".....winner unknown since no one has held the Lexa yet. On paper the Lexa looks like a winner but will it cast and perform like or better than the Curado G? Heck if the Lexa is anything like its predecessor.....I will indeed get one.
Marine General Staff - Duluth MN
**What is fishing?**

phatbass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by phatbass » Sat May 26, 2012 12:17 am

Buck2thPerch wrote:The Curado G with composite frame vs the Lexa with Aluminum frame.......Lexa wins. Both have power grip type knobs.....Tie. Bearings Lexa 8+1.....Lexa wins. Price.....Tie. Ergonomics, Lexa has better handle but palming is a big "?".....winner unknown since no one has held the Lexa yet. On paper the Lexa looks like a winner but will it cast and perform like or better than the Curado G? Heck if the Lexa is anything like its predecessor.....I will indeed get one.
the curado g has an aluminum frame not composite.

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Sat May 26, 2012 12:45 am

Buck2thPerch wrote:The Curado G with composite frame vs the Lexa with Aluminum frame.......Lexa wins. Both have power grip type knobs.....Tie. Bearings Lexa 8+1.....Lexa wins. Price.....Tie. Ergonomics, Lexa has better handle but palming is a big "?".....winner unknown since no one has held the Lexa yet. On paper the Lexa looks like a winner but will it cast and perform like or better than the Curado G? Heck if the Lexa is anything like its predecessor.....I will indeed get one.
Curado 300E vs. Lexa. The Lexa isn't really made to compete with the 200 size G is it? The Lexa is a 300 is it not?

The Curado is slightly heavier, $60 more expensive has roughly the same gear ratios, same handles, same amount of bearings, same ergonomics roughly...it is a 300 sized low pro, both aluminum frame...unknown sideplates, Curado is proven on big Musky, Lexa is new.

Will be interesting to see. Again, I'm not sellin my Toro anytime soon.
I like TD-Z's
Instagram: teal_101_jdm

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zodiak311 » Sat May 26, 2012 2:15 am

I held one and it was surprisingly comfortable, but cannot compare it to a Curado 300 since I haven't held one of those in a while.
Get your kids hooked on fishing, and they'll never have any money for drugs or alcohol.

biggs
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by biggs » Sat May 26, 2012 7:59 am

x2 to the comment someone posted above that you cannot compare the Curado G to the Lexa, two reels for different uses. I will assume you meant the 300E.

Both reels, the Lexa and Curado 300E have aluminum frames.

Lexa has 7 bearings (4 + 2 CRBB + 1) not 8+1. At 7 bearings the Lexa still has more than the Curado 300E (5+1) but bearings are not really a factor in determining a better reel. Lexa has the same amount of bearings as the Curado 300EJ.

At $200 we will have to see, we all know Daiwa's past reputation with reels in the $200 an below (minus the advantage HSTA) and those reels were for bass, not hard fighting stripers and muskie. So in the price category it may not be a win.
Instagram @___bradb

Buck2thPerch
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Buck2thPerch » Sat May 26, 2012 9:40 am

biggs wrote:
x2 to the comment someone posted above that you cannot compare the Curado G to the Lexa, two reels for different uses. I will assume you meant the 300E.

Both reels, the Lexa and Curado 300E have aluminum frames.

Lexa has 7 bearings (4 + 2 CRBB + 1) not 8+1. At 7 bearings the Lexa still has more than the Curado 300E (5+1) but bearings are not really a factor in determining a better reel. Lexa has the same amount of bearings as the Curado 300EJ.

At $200 we will have to see, we all know Daiwa's past reputation with reels in the $200 an below (minus the advantage HSTA) and those reels were for bass, not hard fighting stripers and muskie. So in the price category it may not be a win.
Correction....sorry, the Curado G has aluminum frame with composite side plates. If I am correct the Lexa has aluminum frame and side plates. I thought the bearing count on the Lexa was 8+1....I could be wrong, I looked at the specs fairly quick.

And yes, I am comparing the Lexa to the Curado G. I am not comparing the Lexa to the Curado 300E/J. Hopefully Daiwa got it right this time with the Lexa.

I am waiting for someone to say "Buck...you're so mean." :big grin:
**What is fishing?**

biggs
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by biggs » Sat May 26, 2012 1:07 pm

So are you saying there will be a smaller version of the Lexa to compete with the Curado G??

All I can find is a 10.5oz Lexa reel that too me would be a muskie sized reel about the same as the curado 300e.
Buck2thPerch wrote:I am waiting for someone to say "Buck...you're so mean."
Buck...you're so mean! :D
Instagram @___bradb

Buck2thPerch
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Buck2thPerch » Sat May 26, 2012 1:21 pm

biggs wrote:So are you saying there will be a smaller version of the Lexa to compete with the Curado G??

All I can find is a 10.5oz Lexa reel that too me would be a muskie sized reel about the same as the curado 300e.
Buck2thPerch wrote:I am waiting for someone to say "Buck...you're so mean."
Buck...you're so mean! :D
:-# :big grin: :mrgreen:
**What is fishing?**

musky chimes
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by musky chimes » Sun May 27, 2012 10:48 pm

this coming tuesday according to bass pro shop . finally ! and its got a sweet price!!!!

Fat-G
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Fat-G » Mon May 28, 2012 11:41 am

Perfect timing. I've been wishing Daiwa would make a low-pro 300 reel for a long time. I'm going to order one, even though I hate to be one of the first people to fish it. Hope it doesn't let me down.

Fat-G
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Fat-G » Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:20 pm

Any word when they'll be available?

Buck2thPerch
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Buck2thPerch » Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:34 am

Fat-G wrote:Any word when they'll be available?
Lexa 300 officially available July 1st. Some retailers/etailers will probably have them last weekend of June and may ship them to those who pre-ordered.

Lexa reels with lower gear ratio 4:9:1 and 6:3:1 reels will be available October.
**What is fishing?**