Daiwa Procyon Vs. Shimano Stradic FJ

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Daiwa Procyon Vs. Shimano Stradic FJ

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon May 21, 2012 7:20 pm

I can find both these reels new on ebay for 120 to 130 bucks shipped. I really like the feel of the Procyon contrary to a lot of fellow anglers on this forum. I have never had a problem with a Daiwa spinning reel, but they are older Tierras, Advantage, and Fuegos. I have also owned Shimano spinning reels, and while they felt and fished nice, they just didn't tickle my fancy like the Daiwas. The Stradic FJ is pretty sweet, XShip and very easy on the eyes. Seems to add something a little different from the standard mid level Shimano reels.

ecu daniel 14
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Daiwa Procyon Vs. Shimano Stradic FJ

Post by ecu daniel 14 » Tue May 22, 2012 11:38 am

Even though the Shimano reel has a POS bail id probably still get it just for the x-ship. The Procyon feels more solid overall. I dont think you can go wrong with either.
stress-what happens between fishing trips

Gabriel
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Gabriel » Tue May 22, 2012 12:47 pm

I'm not really sure what you mean by POS bail daniel. I find the one piece bail wire on the FJ to be more than strong enough. As long as you don't wrench on it it will be more than fine. Even then it is stronger than it looks.
"Can I poke the fish in the eye?"
Dakota

ecu daniel 14
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by ecu daniel 14 » Tue May 22, 2012 12:53 pm

what I meant by POS is it feels cheap. IMO if it feels cheap it is cheap.

Gabriel
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Gabriel » Tue May 22, 2012 2:04 pm

I think it feels well made.No wiggle or play, nice clean click on open. Resistance when it is open as to not close while casting. I can understand the cheapness you mean, maybe? It does seem a little weird with the thinness of the bail wire but the wire is very stiff and strong.

Kinda wish it had a 5.2/1 gear ratio though, the 6 to 1 is a little fast for a spinning reel IMO.
"Can I poke the fish in the eye?"
Dakota

ecu daniel 14
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by ecu daniel 14 » Tue May 22, 2012 2:51 pm

Yep its way too thin. It feels like it will break very easily.

Phantom
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Phantom » Tue May 22, 2012 3:57 pm

daiwa zaion reels feel cheap, does that make them weak and a POS?? nope
just the same as shimanos bail arms, they may look weak but i would be surprised if you damaged one. think of it this way, if you have a 1m long piece of inch dia. hollow metal pipe and a 1m long piece of half inch. solid pipe, which do you think would be easier to bend or damage??

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Thu May 31, 2012 10:51 pm

Any further suggestions other than opinions on the bail wire? I think the only way it will become damaged is if you really torque on it, however I do feel somewhat more confident with the hollow air bail. That being said, I still find myself indecisive. I can also pick up a Ballistic for 146 bucks on Ebay. I already own a Fuego, so I'd really like to go a different route.

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:33 am

ecu daniel 14 wrote:Yep its way too thin. It feels like it will break very easily.
I've never had one break, I've been using shimano spinning reels for years and years now.

I have had a daiwa bail brake, well my wife threw it against the wall LOL, but anyways it broke like
a T.V. antenna.

The bad thing about the daiwa bail is when it starts to bend it will actually crack on the sides and there is no bending it back to shape without it snapping.

There both durable but I would take the shimano bail over the daiwa bail myself.

falcon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by falcon » Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:11 am

FJ all the way outside of weight the reel is incredible and looks beautiful. The last thing I'd worry about is the bail arm. It's very sturdy and has been that way for many years. If t did break you definately mishandled the reel.
Legend Alpha 211/Merc 250 Pro XS

Snyder Rods
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Snyder Rods » Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:33 am

I think the Daiwa is lighter, I'd go for that one.

johnD
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by johnD » Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:11 pm

stradic = solid bail wire

daiwa = hollow bail wire

same about of metal in each one..now which reel is the POS ?

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:17 pm

johnD wrote:stradic = solid bail wire

daiwa = hollow bail wire

same about of metal in each one..now which reel is the POS ?

Both :lol:

21farms
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 21farms » Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:46 am

hogsticker, i'm kinda like you...i've owned many shimano spinning reels but they don't tickle my fancy like daiwas. the shimano bails are definitely sturdy but they do feel cheap to me after using the daiwa air bails (this is just a tactile impression, i'm sure). i'm also convinced i have fewer line management issues (e.g. twist) with my daiwas. on the other hand, i think the daiwa 2500s are ever so slightly too big and the 2000s are ever so slightly too small but the shimano 2500s are "just right". good luck deciding :D

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sat Jun 02, 2012 3:06 pm

Went with the Ballistic 2000. Guess I'm just a Daiwa dude. I like Shimano casters, but the spinning reels just don't do it for me. regarding the bail wire, I'm not so concerned about one breaking, but which one is more likely to become deformed? I'll stick with thicker hollow air bail. Thanks for all your replies :)