Shimano ICAST Rumors?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
ecu daniel 14
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Shimano ICAST Rumors?

Post by ecu daniel 14 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:57 pm

mdesouza wrote:I don't like the fact that the symetre is now made out of graphite as opposed to aluminum from previous models...

Mike D

X2 but such is the trend in the fishing industry. Ill buy all the old school all metal reels off ebay all day, you guys can have this crap.
stress-what happens between fishing trips

bassninja
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by bassninja » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:19 pm

tywithay wrote:Crazy how fast these features have trickled down the lineup. Just two years ago X-Ship was the fancy new feature on their flagship reel and now it can be had on a $100 reel. Makes me wonder why the Sustain and Stella cost so much more than these reels now. Aside from weight, the features aren't THAT far off. Don't get me wrong, those reels aren't in the same class as the two mentioned, but they need to reel up the ante on their flagship reels to make them worthwhile in the next couple years.
I kind of get what you mean. The x-ship feature was kind of the determining factor between the newer Stradic FJ and the rest of the sub $200 Shimano spinning reels. Now that the Saros and Symetre both offer it as well, I'm stuck in the "which Shimano spinner should I get?" zone.

dustlane
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by dustlane » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:35 pm

I wonder where all these new reels are built? The Curado being made in Malaysia was a HUGE mistake. No matter how good it may or may not be. True or not, alot of people will not buy the Curado G simply because it isn't made in Japan. I have to admit that the quality difference between Japanese made reels their Malaysian counterparts is evident without even picking the Curado up. The finish on the G series is just not as refined as the E series. I wonder if this will be the case with Shimano's other Malaysian made offerings. I would bet that if Shimano started building the Curado in Japan and left the specs the same, the sales would I crease substantially. This is all my opinion of course.

tracker01
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by tracker01 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:49 pm

Look at the Symetre FL on the TW page, The spec's have 2000 but the reel has 2500 printed on it. ???????????

dusty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by dusty » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:52 pm

earth to shimano, there are people in the world who will pay premium prices for premium products. stop watering down everything, to hell with the exchange rate

Hulkster
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Hulkster » Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:49 pm

re: the spinning reels:
what in the world have they done with the bail wire where it meets the line roller? (the SR cam I believe)

the current design is perfect (found on the Saros F, Sustain FE, new Stradic FJ etc)

the new one looks like it meets the line roller in two places? very strange.

hope it works.

Gabriel
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Gabriel » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:00 pm

Hulkster wrote:re: the spinning reels:
what in the world have they done with the bail wire where it meets the line roller? (the SR cam I believe)

the current design is perfect (found on the Saros F, Sustain FE, new Stradic FJ etc)

the new one looks like it meets the line roller in two places? very strange.

hope it works.
In addition it SR cam? is also on the current gen symetre.

I am guessing it is much cheaper than the current one piece bail. It could be stronger?

I appreciate the new bail on the Sahara as the old model has a reputation for having the bail fall apart. Some people really wrench the bail open, I am guessing this is the solution.

If it works I will use it.
"Can I poke the fish in the eye?"
Dakota

brownhl
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by brownhl » Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:30 pm

With regard to the comment on reels made in Malaysia, here is a quote by Bantam1, the Shimano rep on the Shimano Products Support forum below this one:

"For the past 5 years the only spinning reels we offer made in Japan is the Stella line.

Malaysia is not cheap labor by any means. The factory there is actually more advanced than it in in Japan. The entire QC department is run by workers from Japan. The QC teams rotate between the US, Japan, Malaysia, Europe and Australia. They all originate in Japan and have worked there for several years before the rotation starts. The QC team are part engineer, part QC people. Some of the QC workers designs have made it into production such as our Propulsion spool. I have worked closely with several of them over the years and formed friendships. Most go to Malaysia after working in the US for 2-3 years. They are aware of our customer demands and make sure these demands are met in production.

Japan sets all the standards for the QC limits. They employ a quiet room where every reel is tested before being sent out. I know a few slip out from time to time, but this is simply human error. That is why the reels come with a warranty. Unfortunately the reels are still assembled by hand so mistakes can happen. We strive for less than 1% returns and we always acheive that goal."

facelessnewsouth
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by facelessnewsouth » Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:08 pm

Kinda disappointed at the lack of buzz Shimano is generating. What we need is some insider to tell us there's going to be a new lo pro baitcaster to fill the slot between the Chronarch E and the Core. THEN people would get excited...

MaxZmus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MaxZmus » Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:58 pm

facelessnewsouth wrote:Kinda disappointed at the lack of buzz Shimano is generating. What we need is some insider to tell us there's going to be a new lo pro baitcaster to fill the slot between the Chronarch E and the Core. THEN people would get excited...

Who knows maybe they'll just re-badge the Chronarch back to the Curado, re-badge the Core to the Chronarch Mg, and then replace the Core line with something made of CI4+++ "better, stronger, lighter, 100% corrosion resistant..." ya know that sort of stuff. :lol:
There are no strangers in the Brotherhood of Fishermen.

John Puckett
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John Puckett » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:57 am

Now that would really make a lot of people happy! Not going to happen but still it would be nice. I'm not sure if they have any surprises left up their sleeves or not but I'm still gonna pick up one of the new Calcuttas either way.

Buck2thPerch
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Buck2thPerch » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:48 am

Most of Shimano's high end reels remain the same or changed little compared to Daiwa. That is good. The best part of it all, Shimano's prices for USDM products haven't gone up much! That is a win for me. Cores can still be had for under $400 vs some of Daiwa's comparable products have gone up well over 25% in price.
Marine General Staff - Duluth MN
**What is fishing?**

Hulkster
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Hulkster » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:37 pm

but the above does not seem to be holding true in the spinning reel department.

the new stradics and Sustains for example are more expensive than ever, the sustain FG has a EVA foam handle, no more titanium lip and neither one has a spare spool anymore.

not good.

Stasher1
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Stasher1 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:53 am

Hulkster wrote:but the above does not seem to be holding true in the spinning reel department.

the new stradics and Sustains for example are more expensive than ever, the sustain FG has a EVA foam handle, no more titanium lip and neither one has a spare spool anymore.

not good.
And, they no longer offer a sub-$100 spinning reel with an aluminum frame. It's funny how Pflueger can manage to build a $100 spinning reel with a magnesium frame, but Shimano can't even do it with aluminum.

miracleJim
Angler
Angler

Post by miracleJim » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:38 pm

Plastics plastics everywhere!!! Even on high end reels.