Daiwa's Most Beautiful Reels, You Decide.

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Reel Old Geezer
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew

Re: Daiwa's Most Beautiful Reels, You Decide.

Post by Reel Old Geezer » Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:31 pm

I guess I should have clarified that our former discussion was about the coloring of the reels, not their shape. If we're going to talk configuration, I think I'd pick the TDZ/Pixy shape as my favorite.

Fat-G
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Fat-G » Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:09 pm

Well, if you guys still remember me ( :lol: ) I had some good gear. Not anything special, but Zillions, HSTA's, and I had a Steez for about a month before I went to the dark darkside. Swimbaits.

To be honest Reel Old Geezer, I would totally fish those reels. If someone sent me one to use for a while, I would throw it one a Berkley Series 1 6' MH rod, 10# Trilene XL, and throw a freakin' Texas-rigged worm. That's how I learned to throw baitcasters (only I had a Shimano Callisto). My friends dad has, and still uses the red one. I'm only 18, so I'm still a baby compared to some of you old farts, but that setup would bring back memories even for me.

As far as what Daiwa reel I think looks the best, it's a toss up. My all-time number one reel to own would be a Daiwa Black Sheep, simply because I'm a swimbait guy. I think the gold Steez's look awesome. The Z2020 is spectacular as well (would love to own one too!). But for the best looking reel, I would have to go with the Black Sheep or the Pluton.

Texas_bullet
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Texas_bullet » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:59 pm

Well, for pure bling, I have to go with the Viento. Only Daiwa baitcaster I own. To each his own.
TB

Grandmasterb
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Grandmasterb » Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:07 pm

I have a PTA33 that I bought in the 80's. I still use it regularly and it is a fantastic reel. I had a PMA 33, same size and shape just a little lower model that I lost in the divorce, otherwise I would still be using it too!

taylor5877
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by taylor5877 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:29 am

Those all look "borrowed" from a Lews.

And they are fugly to me as well...

thelatrobe33
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by thelatrobe33 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:07 am

I'd take that fading blue color for sure. As for the reels, they look like they were designed by DeLorean, not Daiwa :lol:

CALL ME RIFLE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by CALL ME RIFLE » Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:35 pm

PT10ZX,IMO the most gorgeous thing Daiwa has ever made.Had one a loooong time ago,worked my azz off to get it back in the day,and some jagoff stole it while I was at a friends house with it...still think it was an inside job.Karma is a b$tch tho,my "friend" who I believe was involved in the theft died in a gruesome car wreck shortly thereafter.Some of these young bucks just don't appreciate such things of beauty.Alot of folks want to think they are fish ninjas or something,everything has to be flat black on black with black accents....lmao reminds me of how alot of youngsters can be seen these days driving around in crappy little hondas painted flat black,fart can mufflers and all,swearing they are fast and furious LMAO...pitiful is much more like it. 8-)
R.O.G.,here I had been checking in on the show n tell board for this post,only to stumble into it here this eve...thanks for putting it up.definitely does bring back memories.And if for some reason you ever feel like you want to rid yourself of the burden of ownership involved with these beauties,well sir,I am always but a mere PM away.... ;)

Bronzeye
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bronzeye » Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:51 pm

Reel Old Geezer, you've inspired me to unbox my PT10 and have some fun with it this summer. Don't know why I stopped using it--it does look fine and, for my left hand, was probably the most comfortable reel I've ever gripped. A backreelable T3!

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:46 am

Change the branding on any product...and it may become more or less exquisite, desireable, attractive/fugly, worthy, elite, quality/junk, etc.

The PT33 in gold reminds a lot of some other Shimano designs of that time as well...funny how fans of one or the other may find one more attractive than the "other" make, eh?

Very kool to revisit these reels.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

CALL ME RIFLE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by CALL ME RIFLE » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:37 am

dragon1 wrote:Change the branding on any product...and it may become more or less exquisite, desireable, attractive/fugly, worthy, elite, quality/junk, etc.
:laugh1: AINT THAT THE TRUTH =D>

Gulfcoastwader
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Gulfcoastwader » Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:13 am

I just saw a couple of these reels in new or very good condition fetch some very high prices on that auction site. There are many out there like Reel Old Geezer when it comes to these reels. I like the way they look myself.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:48 pm

BRONZEBACK32 wrote:The Daiwa Pluton is a sexy reel, weighs a ton though.

x2 I don't own any Daiwa either.....
My Ryoga 1016 is a pretty little beast, too. But give me any Alphas/Pixy variant-those are the best-looking reels Daiwa ever made IMO, in both color and form. That being said, I loved my PT33 when I was a teen-ager and the reels you posted pics of were very nice-looking and functional for their time. But time marches on....thanks for the trip down memory lane. 8-)
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:32 am

Teal101 wrote:The Steez and the Z are good looking reels imo.

These look terrible. I think the zillion frame is terrible. The Pixy is alright...I dont own any Daiwas though.
Don't own any Daiwas eh, Teal?

DaveJ

jpd0144
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by jpd0144 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:43 am

Someone was bit by the Daiwa bug ! :shock: :big grin: ... just yanking your chain teal !

Back in 2012 I was die hard Shimano. Now my scale is tipped at roughly 55% Daiwa and 45% Shimano ... Talk about times change.

TT will make a man do strange things ! :lol:

Dink Dawg
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Dink Dawg » Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:37 am

Oh the memories.