Farthest baitcaster for topwaters in the 1/2-1 oz. range

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
phyxate
Angler
Angler

Farthest baitcaster for topwaters in the 1/2-1 oz. range

Post by phyxate » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:31 pm

I am specifically looking for a baitcasting reel which can cast top waters (super spook - 7/8 oz.) the farthest. Could care less about soft plastics and jigs. I am no novice angler and have been casting them for 10-15 years so I am fully aware that the angler makes the biggest difference, then rod, then reel. I am mainly fishing salt water and clean my reels each trip thoroughly so I'm not worried about corrosion issues. I am under the impression that all bait casters will have similar distance and the main determining factor is spool size - is this correct?

My Set-up: I am currently am using the Revo MGX that I purchased for $359.99 at Academy spooled with 30 lb. power pro slick 8 and a medium-light 6'6" rod. I am feeling like the MGX was not my best option for throwing tops. I don't mind throwing something heavier as long as it's not a huge tank. Any corrections in my setup, reel, line, rod, etc. for what I'm trying to do would be great.

Also, any advice on which rod would be best for this application would be great - distance mainly. I am looking to cover a ton of water quickly. Thanks in advance.

Pmedicbm
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Farthest baitcaster for topwaters in the 1/2-1 oz. range

Post by Pmedicbm » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:42 pm

My suggestion would be the Calcutta 100DC. I own many top tier reels, from Steez to TD Ito's to Alpha Ito's etc, etc. My DC will just smoke them all in casting distance in the 1/2 to 1oz range. It is just a Rocket!! I have smaller hands so I wanted the 100, but if you have average to bigger hands the 200 or 250dc would probably be hard to beat. Eps since you're fishing in the salt.. Good luck.. :D
Pmedicbm

l2yan
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by l2yan » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:50 pm

Daiwa Z. Also, I would use a 7'6'' rod minimum. 8' would be better, and especially for the salt, I wouldn't hesitate to use even 9 footers and longer ;)

I use 10' and 11' rods for surfcasting all sorts of lures and rigs up to 1/2 a pound, but one of my favorite shore rods is a 10 foot reddington steelhead rod that I use for launching lures in the 1/2 oz to 2 oz range from shore (actually rated 1-5 oz though..). With the Z, that stick would be an absolute rocket launcher!

If you're looking for something more traditional, you could maybe try out a crucial, dobyns, or even okuma swimbait rod (among many others, these are just the top three that come to mind).

Hope that helps!
www.BigSmallieTackle.com
www.HeroesOnTheWater.org

MaxZmus
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MaxZmus » Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:17 pm

The new 2012 Shimano Antares looks like a winner for distance. They have videos of Shimano Japan guys making almost 100 yard casts. I know it's in a controlled environment and it's just a casting plug(weight unknown) but still impressive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIiCBeYi9Z0

just in case you haven't seen it already.
There are no strangers in the Brotherhood of Fishermen.

QUAKEnSHAKE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by QUAKEnSHAKE » Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:09 pm

On that video they had 21grams listed, thats .74oz right at 3/4th oz.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:24 pm

Yep new Antares is truly impressive...but, but, but...

Controlled enviroments and "double swing casts"...I don't cast like this EVER on the water, but maybe you will for SW?

DC is hard to beat for your intentions, but the Z will surprise you and is just as rugged internally upwards to comparing with just about any 200-300 sized round reel IMO.

Good luck!
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

Strewth
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Strewth » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:53 am

Hard to go past the Calais 100A for throwing lures of this weight range in the salt. Been using one for many years for chasing Barramundi and other tropical fish, and it will throw a 1/4 - 1oz lure a long, long way. Easy to cast, maintains its smoothness, and is straightforward to service. These reels are built to last....
Last edited by Strewth on Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

tywithay
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by tywithay » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:56 am

I'd put my Calcutta 250DC up against just about anybody else's reel in that range. I haven't found anyone in my area that can outcast me up to this point. The reel can just flat out get it done. Plus, it's just a real joy to fish. Very powerful, smooth, and looks amazing.

jeb
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jeb » Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:01 am

He specified he didn't want a tank, which pretty much all the recommended reels so far are as all are in the 9oz and heavier range. I'd recommend a look at the Calais DC, but it is also a heavy reel.

If I were to pick one of my lighter reels for this job (Core 50's, Steez, MGX, Curado 50E, Premier), I'd probably go with the Premier. Bigger spool, very tuneable, able to handle bigger baits easier and still a light reel.

ecu daniel 14
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by ecu daniel 14 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:26 am

id go DC, casts rediculously far.
stress-what happens between fishing trips

phyxate
Angler
Angler

Post by phyxate » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:20 am

dragon1 wrote:Yep new Antares is truly impressive...but, but, but...

Controlled enviroments and "double swing casts"...I don't cast like this EVER on the water, but maybe you will for SW?

DC is hard to beat for your intentions, but the Z will surprise you and is just as rugged internally upwards to comparing with just about any 200-300 sized round reel IMO.

Good luck!
Are you referring to the calcutta DC or the Calais DC?

phyxate
Angler
Angler

Post by phyxate » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:22 am

ecu daniel 14 wrote:id go DC, casts rediculously far.
Same thing, are you talking about the calcutta dc or calais DC?

By the way, thanks for all the help guys, so surprised that a bunch of people chimed in to help me...the information was great!

I've narrowed it down to:

1. Calais DC
2. Calcutta DC 100/200/250
3. Daiwa Z
4. Possibly the revo premier

Also, what rod sizes and line size would you guys recommend for chunking tops in the 1/2 oz. - 1oz. range? My main concern is that, especially for the revo, if I go lower than 30 lb. test the line will dig into the spool and backlash since the spool seems to be spinning TOO fast. If I can down grade to a lower lb. test line that would probably be better for distance, no? Thanks in advance!!!!

ecu daniel 14
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by ecu daniel 14 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:11 am

They are essentially the same, but for topwaters Id get the Calais for its low profile...its more comfortable working topwaters.
stress-what happens between fishing trips

phyxate
Angler
Angler

Post by phyxate » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:22 am

Bump. Any other opinions would be great! The shimano antares is pretty expensive, going for ~$700 + shipping to the states on ebay.

thelatrobe33
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by thelatrobe33 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:43 am

My 2 cents:

Calcutta 100DC
Powell 726CB
14 or 16 lb Sunline Super Natural Mono

I can cast a LONG way with my new 100DC :D