Got the Calais 200 DC over Antares DC - did I just mess up?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
phyxate
Angler
Angler

Got the Calais 200 DC over Antares DC - did I just mess up?

Post by phyxate » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:31 pm

So, I read a ton of reviews and did a lot of research and I was torn between the Antares DC or the Calais 200 DC. I am here in Texas and would have had to get the Antares shipped to me plus out of state taxes on it. Anyways, long story short, a guy I know at my local tackle shop convinced me that the Calais 200 DC is basically the same thing but slightly heavier 1.5 oz. but with the advantage of being able to replace the parts easier without shipping it to Japan.

I ended up spending $700 with taxes, *ouch* and really might be regretting not just paying the extra $50-$75 or so for the Antares. Should I just return the Calais or is the an upside to having the Calais over the Antares?

Thanks a bunch!

gorilla style
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Got the Calais 200 DC over Antares DC - did I just mess

Post by gorilla style » Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:33 am

They should be the same reel, only the Calais has a longer handle if I recall and that might be the reason for the weight difference of 9.5 oz vs 8.8 oz.. Post pics of that beauty and tell us your thoughts on its performance.

peterAlarsen
Angler
Angler

Post by peterAlarsen » Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:43 am

As far as I know, the difference between Antares DC and Calais DC is the length of the handle and gearing for some models. I believe the shorter handle of Antares account for much (all?) of the weight difference.

I personally owns two Calais 201 DC, and mostly prefer them over any other reel. They are extremely robust, but still handles light lures well. I use them for a mix of inshore, lake and river fishing. Personally I would prefer Calais for the longer handle.

Regards, Peter

tj1004
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by tj1004 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:13 am

I would'nt regret that purchase or even think about regretting it for that matter. You just bought one of the most badass reels ever manufactured. ENJOY

ecu daniel 14
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by ecu daniel 14 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:57 am

x2 theres not enough difference to regret anything. I think you will be happy with it.
stress-what happens between fishing trips