Lews BB1 speed spool (New)

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Lews BB1 speed spool (New)

Post by Hogsticker2 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:44 pm

Can't decide what my new reel to try for this year will be. So far like the looks of the Daiwa Lexa 100, Abu Revo SX, and this.
lews.com/reels.htm#bb1-spool

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Lews BB1 speed spool (New)

Post by smalljaw » Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:56 am

They look nice too but what is the multi stop anti reverse? Aren't all the antireverse systems in reels today multi stop since no matter where you stop them the reel doesn't have back play?
Barlow's Tackle

jmudd
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jmudd » Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:24 am

David Fritt's designed the reel after the old reels he preferred that you have some back play in the handle when you are cranking. All the cranking reels that he has had his hands in the design has sported this feature.
[URL=http://s116.photobucket.com/user/jamudd/media/gambler_2.jpg.html][IMG]http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o24/jamudd/gambler_2.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

mdesouza
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by mdesouza » Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:44 am

The new offerings look nice.

Lew's seems to be filling in their line up with reels at every price point.

Mike D

389Maverick
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 389Maverick » Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:09 pm

One big problem....they don't offer any new models in left handed retrieve except the BB1.....who would seriously want a baitcaster with play in the handle????
Canadian arm to what is Megabass of America
Instagram @m.a.dufour

KCL655321
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by KCL655321 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:18 pm

389Maverick wrote:who would seriously want a baitcaster with play in the handle????
I don't get it either. Last year I thought I read the selling point was so you could back cranks up a bit when working structure, but watching the Fritts TW video he's selling it like that little bit of backplay increases sensitivity. That little bit of backplay you're not gonna be able to backup a crank very far(especially on lower gear ratio) & I'm not buying having backplay increasing sensitivity, almost all of your sensitivity in cranking comes through your rod & your line, just like any other technique.

It must be something vital in his head if he puts it in all his reels, but it's B&W TV from my perspective & not something that interests me. Some of the other Lew's offerings intrigue me, but I'm an Abu trollop & they're offering more than I should desire with their Gen 3 Revos. I don't know if I'll be getting any Lews reels anytime soon, but I was pretty impressed by some of the things I saw from them, just not the BB1.

mylobass
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by mylobass » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:58 am

I want a reel with play in the handle. I prefer the older style anti reverse dog instead of a bearing that can go bust. Thats why I fish only C series Ambassadeurs. Im sick of chasing the latest and greatest just to have it outdated at the next Icast. Now I spend that money and get a custom made reel the way I want it by Jerry Foran.

What I cant understand is how the average buyer falls for these selling schemes. Lew's puts an old style anti reverse into a rebadged Revo and calls it the latest and greatest help for cranks. Ardent puts a the old style non disengaging levelwind into their Edge series and calls it the latest greatest technology to protect your line and make a better drag.

taylor5877
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by taylor5877 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:45 am

:lol:
who would seriously want a baitcaster with play in the handle????
insert shimano joke here...

rcr1959
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by rcr1959 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:01 am

...must be cheaper to go backward with new tech......... :mrgreen:

runmax07
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by runmax07 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:04 am

And or course Daiwa Daiwa PX68 SPR (Small Plug Revolution) model braking system has been swapped to centrifugal system to help in casting at slow swing speed. oops! :whistle: :whistle:

chris c
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by chris c » Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:18 pm

Guys, they didn't go backwards with this reel. There is no question that there is more feel during cranking when using a reel WITHOUT an instant anti-reverse. A reel with instant anti-reverse eliminates alot of vibration through the reel that you would feel in the older reels. There is a reason why BB1N's have a cult following, and a reason why they tried to bring it back updated with more ball bearings and low profile. They flat out cast a mile, and have tremendous feel when cranking. Also, it seems to me that the back play allows the fish to get the bait better. There is a split second of hesitation in the reel, which sometimes makes a big difference in the fish getting the bait. This reel will be a big seller to people who understand it's purpose. You would be surprised if you knew how many expert crankbait fisherman that still use the old BB1N's. I still have about 20 of them, with about 8 in regular rotation.

Chris

KlingerNOK
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by KlingerNOK » Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:24 pm

Cracks me up when I hear someone talking about sensitivity due to a reel design. Especially when it's mounted to a buggy whip of a fiberglass rod, throwing a line with stretch like mono or even fluoro.
I am a crankbait fanatic and I love my glass rods but sensitivity is not their strong suit.
The only way(IMO) a reel can make a difference in sensitivity is possibly less weight.
I'll take my instant antireverse reels any day over the old-skool non antireverse reels.
Now don't get me wrong- Fritts is a better crankbait fisherman than just about anybody else, but the idea that a reel without instant antireverse is more sensitive than with??? I just don't see it.
I'd say it's a confidence thing for Fritts and that's a biggie when you're competing for cash.

389Maverick
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 389Maverick » Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:28 pm

Still not sold, and I'll be surprised to see that this reel will be a "big seller" cause what I understand is that this is not the way to go! Then again maybe you are right and the silent majority is in demand of such a reel........Hold on, yeah, NO! :lol:
Instagram @m.a.dufour

BassCatDan
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by BassCatDan » Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:44 pm

Guys, not wishing to debate too much here but my memory tells me a few things. I had a load of the Quantum 1310s and 310s before the instant anti-reverse took the industry by storm. My brother still has a couple in circulation.

These reels had that backplay that is such a negative now. However, I do distinctly recall these reels being gems on rattle traps and crankbaits. That tell tall back play was indeed our friend.

There is only a little back slap...it's not like a free-spool. I can understand what Fritz is talking about. The instant anti-reverse on 1 of my old Energy CXs is going out. It has a lil play and still works very well as a cranker. I took it out of storage because of the 5:1 ratio.
....just another fish-a-holic.

389Maverick
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 389Maverick » Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:57 pm

Then I guess it comes down to personal preference, cause a reel with a gentle "slap back" is not what I would feel confident with on tournament day.....especially not while fighting a fish from 20 feet from the boat with back play in the handle, No Way!

When using Crankbaits, a good old Glass rod 7'6" or 8' and a gear ratio of 5.4 is what I feel is the main factors, not back play in my handle.

I think it's mostly a deal with Lew's and Fritts not thinking about the more important things like offering left handed models in the new line ups.
Instagram @m.a.dufour