Daiwa T3 after a year

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
muskyhunter
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Daiwa T3 after a year

Post by muskyhunter » Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:02 pm

How are your Daiwa t3's holding up after a year of fishing? Is it as smooth and cast just as far?
Last edited by muskyhunter on Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nitroman77
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Daiwa T3 after a year

Post by Nitroman77 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:12 pm

Ive had mine over a year and it is the same as it was when I bought it...Kinda since I upgraded the spool bearings to Abec 9 Ceramics from Boca, upgraded the Worm bearing, and polished the Drag stack..Still a great reel and has caught many fish on it throwing jigs.. 8-)
THkustoms.com
Dobyns rods
Omega custom tackle
Biospawn
seaguar
phoenix boats

Valky
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Valky » Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:45 pm

It color coating, peel of from the first trip in freshwater, and Daiwa refuse to exchange it for me. Second trip it peel out again on the reel foot. It's still the roughest reel out of the box I ever purchase for over $150, even though I make a good lubrication throughout. It's feel cheap as plastic, yeah I mean it, they are not solid at all. The only good things is it castability and none the other. I wish I got PX68 instead....

E73Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by E73Bass » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:31 am

Valky wrote:It color coating, peel of from the first trip in freshwater, and Daiwa refuse to exchange it for me. Second trip it peel out again on the reel foot. It's still the roughest reel out of the box I ever purchase for over $150, even though I make a good lubrication throughout. It's feel cheap as plastic, yeah I mean it, they are not solid at all. The only good things is it castability and none the other. I wish I got PX68 instead....

T3-1016 or T3-Ballistic?

Finnz922
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Finnz922 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:14 pm

Valky wrote:It color coating, peel of from the first trip in freshwater, and Daiwa refuse to exchange it for me. Second trip it peel out again on the reel foot. It's still the roughest reel out of the box I ever purchase for over $150, even though I make a good lubrication throughout. It's feel cheap as plastic, yeah I mean it, they are not solid at all. The only good things is it castability and none the other. I wish I got PX68 instead....
That is funny. I have the Ballistic and with a few bushing to bearing upgrades and spool bearing upgrades. I happen to think this reel is plenty solid. in fact after fishing with it for a 6 months or so. I think that the feel of the reel is necassary because of the design. I guess what I am saying is I disagree that it feels like cheap plastic but it definitely does not feel like the previous metal reels aluminum or magnesium. I feel that if it were made from those materials with such a large moveable piece that it would feel almost clunky. I wonder if you received a lemon one that had issues during paint because I have seen no wear on mine. I do have a PX Type R and that reel is a beast. You should get the PX68 or Type R. Those are awesome reels.

jeb
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jeb » Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:23 am

muskyhunter wrote:I am also seriously considering the new Premier. I feel the current (2010) premier the best bang for the buck reel available. I just don't know about the new 2012 casting system.

I am looking for a sub 7 oz reel.
Current model Premier's are awesome reels, especially at the prices you can buy them for. I agree with your uncertainty on the new reels with the IVCB. I have 4 of the current generation Premier's and an MGX. I much prefer the dual brakes on the Premiers. But the good news in the new generation of Abu reels it the new STX is lighter than the current Premier and still uses the dual brake system the Premier's currently use. I really think Abu's going to sell a ton of those.

termigator
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by termigator » Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:00 pm

That is funny. I have the Ballistic and with a few bushing to bearing upgrades and spool bearing upgrades. I happen to think this reel is plenty solid. in fact after fishing with it for a 6 months or so. I think that the feel of the reel is necassary because of the design. I guess what I am saying is I disagree that it feels like cheap plastic but it definitely does not feel like the previous metal reels aluminum or magnesium. I feel that if it were made from those materials with such a large moveable piece that it would feel almost clunky. I wonder if you received a lemon one that had issues during paint because I have seen no wear on mine. I do have a PX Type R and that reel is a beast. You should get the PX68 or Type R. Those are awesome reels.[/quote]

I agree. You might have gotten a lemon. I don't own a T3, but I do have a Ballistic 2000 spinning reel. It's a great reel, but I noticed some of the clearcoat was peeling after only a few trips. After closer examination, I noticed some micro-sized bubbling in other areas of the reel. I wound up exchanging it out, but not before I double checked to make sure the new one had no bubbling.

basser100
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by basser100 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:48 pm

I own 2 t3 ballistics that I had supertuned with ZPI bearings that work awesome. My paint has not peeled but I would not care if it did. I bought my reels to fish with. Maybe some people want to put them in a glass case and admire them while drinking a glass of wine.

robertrinaustin
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by robertrinaustin » Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:44 pm

Mine is nearly new and got nicks in the bar under the T wing loading 10# fluoro on it. Needless to say, I am not impressed with the finish.

The reel cast well, not any further than my other quality reels, but with less effort. However, it is much more finicky and doesn't like to be overpowered.

I wouldn't buy another one or recommend it to a friend.

GARRIGA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GARRIGA » Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:31 am

Honestly I'm not trying to be negative and just brutally honest but I'm amazed that such a revolutionary reel can have so many mixed reviews. Seems like those that own them either love them or hate them. Every sale I'm tempted to buy one and see for myself but then I recall the bad press from actual users and backoff. I seriously hope this is not Daiwa's answer to the Z1016. If it is then perhaps they should get it worked out because it is very promising and I may even warm up to the Zaion but that won't happen until all these prblems get resolved. It seems to me like the early adaptors were guine pigs and some just got a raw deal. I think it would only be fair to replace their reels with the final improved product to see if they've changed their minds and if confronted with positive reviews re-release it to the public. Until then this may need to go back to R&D and off the retail shelfs. Just my opinion and we all know how little that's worth.

Finnz922
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Finnz922 » Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:11 am

I don't understand how a reel can chip like that under the line guide. Wouldn't the line guide keep that from happening? It looks like you spooled your reel without it seated on a rod and turned the reel upward to create some resistance on the line and yes the 150 give or take yards of line eventually rubbed some paint off. You could hold line against automobile paint and run 150 yards of line against it and it would show wear. I cannot say for sure that your reel couldn't chip like that but I find it highly unlikely.

Katshubby
Angler
Angler

Post by Katshubby » Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:38 pm

I love my T3 and have had no issues with it. In fact just got another from TW at the 4th of July sale. I don' use it as much as I would like being in rotation with a Steez, and several Pixies. I' m excited about the Daiwa T3 project. I'd like a yellow T3.

Gabriel
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Gabriel » Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:28 pm

robertrinaustin wrote:Image
Mine is nearly new and got nicks in the bar under the T wing loading 10# fluoro on it. Needless to say, I am not impressed with the finish.

The reel cast well, not any further than my other quality reels, but with less effort. However, it is much more finicky and doesn't like to be overpowered.

I wouldn't buy another one or recommend it to a friend.
Do you use it on a rod with microguides? The micro guide might be low enough where it causes and issue of line angle into the reel. Not sure it that makes sense but it might have more wear because of the height of the guides or lack of height.
"Can I poke the fish in the eye?"
Dakota

robertrinaustin
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by robertrinaustin » Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:53 am

I'm not sure how the grooves got there. I loaded line on it by holding the reel in my hand and using my fingers to tension the line (same technique I've used for 35 years and 50+ reels without grooving) and I fished with it one day. I broke off on the trip and when I went to load more line, I noticed the grooves.

Yes the rod has micros guides, but think how little difference there is in line angle at the reel, maybe 3 degrees max. Really shouldn't result in a damaged reel. This is clearly a design defect. The finish is way too soft, much softer than automotive paint.

E73Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by E73Bass » Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:26 am

Looking at the T3 Air; I can't tell if there has been any improvement made to this line "cutting-in" issue.