Deep Crank specific reel

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
pharmboy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Deep Crank specific reel

Post by pharmboy » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:34 pm

Looking at finally getting a deep crank reel 4.9-5.4:1. I have finally had it with wearing out the gears of all my high speed reels. Considering a Curado, Abu winch, Daiwa Lexa or Crazy cranker. Open to any other suggestions. Looking to spend sub $300. I will be tossing 1/2 to 3/4 oz baits, mostly in the 16 to 20 ft range. Reel will be paired with a St Croix LT Big Cranker (7'8" MH moderate). Thanks

robertrinaustin
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Deep Crank specific reel

Post by robertrinaustin » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:46 pm

I'm thinking the new Winch might be the best option out there if it lives up to the hype. Had the Daiwa CC and it didn't do it for me. The old power Chronarchs are still hard to beat, but are too heavy.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:24 pm

One reel I like and I have read that it's too tech specific for most is the bantam B38.
I have heard so much negativity about this reel, I may just be its last friend. I suggest you give one a try and form your own opinion for what your looking for.

I am going to try my Calcutta 100gt te for the first time for 8-14' range and let you know how that works.
From what I've read round reels have more torque than typical low profile reels. I see.
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

KCL655321
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by KCL655321 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:38 pm

Winch would be a solid choice & I'd go for one of the closeout models, just because they're tanks with more HPCR bearings while the new model has 2 less SS bearings & can be had for $160 readily, sometimes cheaper. The upgrade to dual braking from pitch n flip & little over one ounce lighter isn't that big of a deal to me, especially when you're talking big & deep diving baits where you're just cranking away with the tip down. Plus the new model is still well over a month off, unless they start showing up on eBay before they hit major retailers.

The Lew's TP1S is one to look at as well, which is probably a lot like the upcoming Winch, being in the 7oz range with dual braking. I really like mine, but I like the Winch better, just has a solider feel to it.

John Puckett
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John Puckett » Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:11 pm

I've not found a better deep crank reel than the Calcutta TE DC 201. They are fantastic, now I know this isn't a reel you said you were looking at but I just wanted to throw that in.
The only other reel that I've fished a deep crank with in the last few years is a Citica E 201, the 6:1 ratio. Never had a problem with using this reel either. It isn't the Calcutta by any means but it has worked fine for me. I don't feel that it takes that much more effort to crank them in with it (Citica) as opposed to the Calcutta.
So saying all that I wouldn't be afraid one bit to pick up a Curado cranking reel, I must say though that I am a huge Shimano fan so take all I've said with a grain of salt.

BucketHunter
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BucketHunter » Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:10 am

Tough to do much better than the new Chronarch 200e5for the the price. Sub 200 and I defy any 300 dollar reel to double up on it performance wise.
Set hard and set often

GARRIGA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GARRIGA » Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:30 am

I have little success deep cranking but the reels I've used when I go about it have been the Revo Winch (2010 model), Crazy Cranker and the Ryoga 1016 5.3. I just got my JD 5.3 but haven't used it yet although I did throw a 3/4 oz single large Colorado and it handled it with a breeze. Staying under $300 I would go the route of the Crazy Cranker and if had during one of the sales could be found for around $220 or less. Add the 90mm four bearing handle for another $80 and you have a super smooth reel that can pull anything and I've used it with DT16 without breaking a sweat. Throw the $300 limit out and the Ryoga goes to the top of the list with its super smooth digi gears. Besides the more then adequate cranking power it's got the smoothest retrieve I've ever experienced and on par with the Z2020. I can't emphasize enough how much smoother this is to everything I've cranked. Sorry for not following directions on the sub $300. Lol

pharmboy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by pharmboy » Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:13 am

Does weight really matter with a 7'8"MH rod?-I think a heavier reel (to a degree) would just help balance a long rod. I think I am most interested in smooth gears, casting distance and durability (they take a beating w 20ft DD). Starting to think crazy cranker or the closeout winch. any other suggestions?

BTW - if you feel it is worth it, I am willing to push the budget.

GARRIGA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GARRIGA » Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:18 am

I'm not familiar with the rod but if it's fiberglass or composite fiberglass then it's going to be heavier then your typical 7'8" which for me warrants the need for a heavier reel. I fish mostly 7'11" Cumaras which are relatively light but still tip heavy due to the length and prefer my Zillions to Z2020 versus my Core 101 because they banace out better.

When I had my Winch it was a very good reel and for that $200 range it's a worthy candidate with the extra line capacity and brute cranking power. Don't know how they've changed so can't comment beyond that. If cost no longer matters then the Ryoga is worth every penny as it brings a whole new level of smoothness and you have to admit round reels rock. I'm sure based on may nreviews that the Calcutta series is another round reel consideration and the new D seems very promising if changing out spools quickly is not a concern, for most it probably isn't. I've owned Curados but not the 5:1 but that's another consideration although todays flavor is the Chronarch E.

If I'm spending the money and looking for a good casting super smooth reel that will handle any crank plus throw swimbaits then the Ryoga 1016 is where I'm spending my cash. I actually sat it on my Dobyns 806ML and chucked Hudd 8s for half a day without issue. Not something I would dedicate it for but I use this and my Z to chuck Bull Shads and Hudd 68 to give you an idea of it's durability and cranking power. The only thing I would change is the handle to a 90mm and not sure why it doesn't just come standard but that's easily remedied with the Pluton handle. The spool is swappable with the T3 and can be had for $75 from the Tackle Trap or direct from Daiwa which is super sweet considering the JDM route normally runs and extra $50 shipped depending on rates. I'm yet to see a single negative post about the Ryoga or Z as it pertains to bass fishing.

This recommendation comes with a severe warning, do not buy a Ryoga or Z if you need to save money because once you've owned one it will not be the last. Stay away. lol

John Puckett
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John Puckett » Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:50 pm

Well if you don't mind pushing your budget the Calcutta DC TE is the best there is. 100 or 200 size, your choice but either one will be fantastic casting wise, both have very good drags, and the durability can't be touched IMHO.

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Tokugawa » Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:11 pm

For a low profile reel - the Zillion CC is is a great choice...and it's price has not been increased. :lol:

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:07 am

I like the Curado E5 with a set of Orange Seal bearings. They cast great, are light, and hold up well.

rumrunner
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by rumrunner » Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:47 am

i vote cc.my zillion has taken it's beatings for two years and still works and feels great.
goldrod wrote:One reel I like and I have read that it's too tech specific for most is the bantam B38.
I have heard so much negativity about this reel, I may just be its last friend. I suggest you give one a try and form your own opinion for what your looking for.

I am going to try my Calcutta 100gt te for the first time for 8-14' range and let you know how that works.
From what I've read round reels have more torque than typical low profile reels. I see.
you are not alone....but it's too low geared for most people.i use it for my deepest cranks.it saves my hand/arm.but sometimes it's hard to feel bottom or even small fish!i've gone back to 4.9 except for the deepest cranks.

RIK
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by RIK » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:19 am

I haven't found a cranking reel I like better than the Revo Winch. Great power, casts incredibly well, great drag. Nearly a perfect cranking reel, and the best reel in the whole Revo lineup, IMHO. They're being closed out right ow for $160, which is a no brainer. I just ordered another one. Not cuz I needed one really, but, well...you know. It was on sale, so... :)

big_gee
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by big_gee » Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:33 pm

I'm a Daiwa but the two reels I use for cranking are the Crazy Cranker and the Lew's Tournament Pro Speed Spool 5.4:1. I think the Lew's reels are always overlooked and now the are coming back with the new BB1 Speed Spool. Looking forward to trying one out for cranking. I have no problem throwing crankbaits of any size with the Lew's. =D>