Chronarch 101B Questions and Fair price.

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Gabriel
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Chronarch 101B Questions and Fair price.

Post by Gabriel » Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:46 pm

I want to buy left handed reel to basically force myself to learn and for flipping. A local store has a new one and that is about it for decent left handed reels in my area. I am not considering the Curado D series since ebay would most likely be involved and I don't buy used things either.

Is the 101b decent for 3/8oz to 1/2oz+ flipping? I thought it would be but I can't be sure without using it. The Tackle Tour review is positive on this part. I would put some Orange Seals in it for the spool.

What is a good price for this reel? The owner has it listed for the original $289. I was thinking of offering $220.

It's a little chunky, actually it's REALLY chunky compared to say a 200E series. Kind of an eyesore lol.

Last thing. I can get a Chronarch 51E7 for $160 shipped, should I just get the new one? It's lighter and way smaller. It's basically a Curado 50e and should deliver the same 10lb's of drag. The handles is probably too small for my liking and would be swapped with a $40 curado e200 which I assume fits.

So $200 for the 51e or $220 and a local buy for the 101B.
"Can I poke the fish in the eye?"
Dakota

fishingandfords
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Chronarch 101B Questions and Fair price.

Post by fishingandfords » Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:09 pm

I would grab the 51E and swap out the handle from a core 100mg7 (switch grips) or chronach 201E7

agggh
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by agggh » Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:55 pm

Chronarch 50es have the same big grips that the 200e's have in case you didn't know.

Bigs|ick
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Bigs|ick » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:42 pm

I like my 100b very much. Im a sucker for open bearings and the reel is built like a tank. Its smooth, powerful and i see no issues with it as a flipping reel.

That said i do like my curado 50e's as well. Different class of reel though, the CH100B is much more refined where the CU50E is more of a toy if that makes any sense.

agggh
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by agggh » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:53 pm

But for flipping I would get an e6 I think.

The 50e is an awesome reel, but i thought it was geared for lighter line. I throw 12-15 lb fluoro on mine and its excellent

Gabriel
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Gabriel » Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:15 pm

agggh wrote:Chronarch 50es have the same big grips that the 200e's have in case you didn't know.
Is the handle the same length as well? I though those had the stubby handles on them. I have big and thick hands and thick fingers. I don't do well with small diameter handles.
Bigs|ick wrote:I like my 100b very much. Im a sucker for open bearings and the reel is built like a tank. Its smooth, powerful and i see no issues with it as a flipping reel.

That said i do like my curado 50e's as well. Different class of reel though, the CH100B is much more refined where the CU50E is more of a toy if that makes any sense.
I am aware that the Chronarch 50 is a different class of reel but which would you use for flipping and pitching and skipping? I forgot to mention that I skip with my flipping and pitching stick. I kind of like the robustness off the 101b but I think that when I really sling that weighted tube that the 50e wont have what it takes to keep up.

As far as flipping do you think your 50e has enough drag strength to handle a 5lb+ largemouth in the thick nasty lily pads?

If you can't tell I have taken quite a shine to the 101b, it is just so buttery smooth.
Dakota

John Puckett
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by John Puckett » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:28 am

I may or may not help with my answer but here goes my best attepmt to help. I fish a CH 101B a lot, I really really like this reel as well it is everything you've already mentioned. I also have a Curado 51E and while I think if you were trying to get the best reel for pitching and pitching only the 51E would win, I feel the 101B is better at everything else. I haven't fished my 51E that much yet but I've been very happy with it's performance so far, I have it on a GLX flipping stick and it performs well. I've not had any problems with the drag feeling weak or not up to the task.
I put my 101B through a lot just about every trip and it has not had a single issue. It just continues to perform at a high level trip after trip. I lock the drag down on it sometimes so I don't get ANY slip while using 40# Power Pro. Frogs, flipping/pitching, or swimbaits I never have a problem. If I were in your shoes I'd go Chronarch B hands down, but I have to tell you that I don't mind a little weight in my reels. I love my Calcutta 201TE DC and my Calais 201DC so that may play into it if you are bothered by weight. Other than that I feel the Chronarch is the better reel.

rubs96
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by rubs96 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:54 am

I bought my Chronarch 100BPV for $300 (including taxes) and then just a couple months ago bought a 100B BRAND NEW IN BOX from the local tackle shop for $126 (including taxes). Unfortunately, there are none left now and there were only a couple left anyway!

Love both of mine and took the 100B on my St. Croix Avid 7'0" MHF with 15lb. fluoro for spinnerbaits on Sunday at a pond tourney. Caught both of my fish on it! lol

The reel is amazing and built like a tank and handles 1oz. spinnerbaits like my Calcutta TE200GT... beats out my Calais 200A for this duty.

agggh
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by agggh » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:43 am

Im pretty sure the chron 50 has the same handle a 200e would have.

I have honestly gotten 5-6 lb bass out of really thick weeds like 5 times. And a couple 5 lbers out of docks. I've also gotten big walleye, big pike, and big bowfin. I know it could easily handle pitching to heavy cover. But if i was thrownf it on a 7 and a half foot rod with 65 lb braid, I would get a 200e based on the fact that it handle thick line better, and maybe even have a stronger drag?

I have my 50e on my jig rod, with 12-15 lb fluoro.it handles some heavy cover, but I haven't tested in the really thick stuff

Gabriel
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Gabriel » Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:40 pm

It will be a little while before I buy either of them. The rod is a Loomis Flipping Stick btw...

I don't have to funds as I am transitioning jobs and really don't know what I am making weekly. Also I invested in some airbrushing equipment to paint my own reels.

I think I am sold on the 101b if I can get the store owner to play ball. I plan abusing the reel a bit and not sure if the 51will take it. I am torn between the 51e and the 201e if I can't get an ok deal on the 101b.

These are known as first world problems so I wont sweat it for now.
Dakota

fishingandfords
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by fishingandfords » Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:40 pm

50E has a 80mm handle the 200E has a 84mm both have the bigger knobs but just make sure there for a lefty