Looking for a Great casting reel for my G-loomis mossyback..

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
StonedCL
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Looking for a Great casting reel for my G-loomis mossyba

Post by StonedCL » Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:21 pm

I got my real today and hooked it up to my rod and feels good..
I put on some 10lb Berkeley trip line XL and hada couple of casts out in my front yard..
Fist cast I had the knob on the spool tight and no birds nest next i untightend it until the senko fell slowly and bang got a Nasty birdsnest .. Like I said this is my 1st baitcaster and I need to learn.. Any tips?

jeb
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by jeb » Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:24 am

What do you have the brakes set at? For a light bait and a beginner, you may want 3 or 4 of those turned on to start with. Once your thumb gets educated, you can start turning them off.

new2BC4bass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by new2BC4bass » Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:53 am

Best advice I can give is to stay near the high end of the lure range while learning. Also do not try for distance at this point. Be smooth. B/C reels are much more fun to use IMHO. It won't take you long to become proficient enough to start making long casts. You choose a great reel. Good luck with it.

haoz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by haoz » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:47 am

yea, trick is to be smooth with the loading of lure before the cast.

I find the Japanese method of loading the lure twice, front then back, before a smooth release launches your bait really far with little effort.

since for beginners, your thumb is probably not used to feathering any excess line outlays, you should just jammed your thumb down when something doesn't feel right.

you mentioned senkos. I find they are not very streamline so I always cast them close to the water surface such that even when wind picks up, impact on my line is minimal.

go watch videos and see how Nippon anglers cast. its quite useful. (you can google luretv or shimano tv)

StonedCL
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by StonedCL » Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:13 pm

So I fished my new combo for the first time today and 1st few casts i was doing well so I unscrewed the know a little to get my cast further and band birds nest galore so messed up I could not get it out, I think i put the line on too loose so I found a great mom and pops tackle store that re spooled it and went back to work and did well as long as I had my spool tensioned tight.. I also had them put on 12LB line instead of 10Lb that I had on there .. DId OK and love the feel of it.. I threw the spinner and the reel did not feel as smooth as a $300 reel should feel but what do I kjnow this is my first baitcaster!