Lew's tournament pro, okuma komodo or gen 3 revo stx?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
fellercustomrods
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Lew's tournament pro, okuma komodo or gen 3 revo stx?

Post by fellercustomrods » Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:43 pm

I need a reel for the phenix ultra mbx rod I just built and I'm torn between these 3. It would be great if I could get some input that would help me make up my mind. Thanks!

muskyhunter
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Lew's tournament pro, okuma komodo or gen 3 revo stx?

Post by muskyhunter » Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:25 pm

Got to see how the finish on the new stx lasts. But based on the older premier and current speed spool I'd get the speed spool. Carbon handles and the better finish gives better marks. Both the reels are under 7oz and super smooth and casts great. The premier does cast further and has a stronger drag.

Native
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Native » Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:55 pm

I just picked up a couple new Lew's in the Tournament Pro (5.4:1) and the Team Speed (6.4:1). I can honestly say they feel like the very best low profile reel I've ever handled including the Core. I put the Tournament Pro on my factory Phenix Ultra MBX rod and it's incredible. The Team Speed I put on my new St. Croix Legend Tournament Bass rod.

I have several high end Abu's (MGX, Premiers) as well as Shimanos and can honestly say there's no contest. The drag is extremely smooth and solid. I'd say if you were set on low profile and needed more than the Lew's 14# drag, polish the spacers with progressively finer grit sandpaper down to honing compound and work it until you achieve a mirror finish and you'll add the necessary grip you need for the big and bigger girls, trust me, it works.

An even better option I've recently purchased is the Daiwa Lexa 300 with 22# drag. The Lexa is also a superb reel in the same ballpark of $200. Like the other reels suggested, handles like a dream, it also casts a mile and the low profile 300 frame fits very nicely and quite comfortably especially if you enjoy tossing mid size 4-6 oz. or less swimbaits like me. Cal should consider a Lexa mounted on his Kistler for his next Amazon trip; he'll muscle those peacock like they were bluegill if he did, lol.

Tim

KCL655321
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by KCL655321 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:05 am

STX. I have a TP1S & had a TP1SH & while they're very good reels, I didn't feel the "OMG, BETTER THAN ANYTHING ELSE OUT THERE!!!" feeling when I use them like I've seen from many around the net. I really dig my MGX, outside of the IVCB & it being black, & the new STX isn't all that much heavier while having the newer, lower form factor along with dual braking. Personal preference, I like grey/silver reels so much better than black reels, which I find plain & boring & that's pretty much all Lews reels, so aesthetically, I like the STX much better. And I'm not too concerned about rash, it's not been an issue on the first 2 generation Revos for me(I really baby my stuff & have it covered if I'm not using it), so I doubt it will be on the Gen 3s. I'd probably go TP over the Okuma, just because I'm very comfortable with the Abu/Lews style reels. I'm sure the Okuma is rock solid though, just not something I feel the need to try.